The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2006, 02:17 PM   #1
PKelly

'68 Chevy LWB Stepside

Hi all,

I'm very new to this forum. Just found it a couple of days ago and this is my first post. I'm posting to get some input/info on a 1968 Chevy Long Wheel Base Stepside, 396 engine that my dad owns. It's been in the barn at our family's farm for about 6-8 years now...put to rest for a while. My grandpa bought it in the mid-70's along with a slide-on camper that we still have in the barn on it's jacks but soon after, he bought a van for camping. So, my dad "took" it and used it for the next 20+ years as a work truck...hauling brush and fire wood from trimming trees, working at the farm, doing odd jobs, etc. I haven't really paid much attention to it for the longest time, even when I get out to the farm because to me it was just an old, work truck.

Not sure why...maybe because I'm older and have a larger income, but now I'm thinking it would be a great truck to clean up and drive. I talked to my brothers and dad about my idea of getting a frame-off restoration and making it my daily driver. They think it's a great idea. I'll need to replace my '99 Dodge Dakota with 105,000 miles in the next couple of years. In the past, I owned a 1980 Chevy PU straight 6 and a 1978 Ford F-150, 308? and will never not own a truck.

I'd like to keep the 396 in it (not sure how many miles it has) and keep the long the wheel base...keep it as stock as possible but upgrade some of the creature comforts inside...carpet vs. vinyl floor mat, better seat (add center arm rest), etc. It has air conditioning, a radio (I think AM/FM), a full compliment of guages, automatic transmission, wood bed (which will need to be replaced), chrome molding on the outside. If I recall correctly, the emblem "Custom" is on each door.

I plan to really go over the truck the next time I get to the farm and take some pictures. My dad and I don't recall any dents or much rust....besides surface rust. I know the paint is shot...my dad isn't much into washing work trucks. I think it may start for us although he hasn't started it for the past couple of years.

I can do some mechanical maintenance/repairs myself but have never rebuilt an engine so I'll need to have someone do the body and engine work.

What amount of time and money would it typically take to restore a truck, from the frame up? I know that may be difficult to answer since you can't see any pictures and I'm sure it will depend on who does the work. I'm just looking for some ball park figures...$5,000 $10,000, $15,000, higher? I'm not looking for a show quality job...just enough to bring the truck back to "newer" condition and to be proud to drive on a daily basis. I'm sure a lot of the engine and body parts can be kept. If the engine is shot, I may consider a crate engine. I will also change the paint color and interior color as it's currently white with teal seat, door liners and steering wheel.

Thanks for your input. And sorry for the long post!

Patrick
PKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
jsbgump
Gone Fishing

Re: '68 Chevy LWB Stepside

Welcome to the board from Texas
Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3483616
jsbgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 06:00 PM   #3
97silv5.7
MooMoo

Welcome!
Support the Board! Or deal with me foo!
Its all fun and games till you find out shes 16.
97silv5.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 03:07 AM   #4
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

Welcome from West Tennessee.You gave a lot of information but left a lot of questions unanswered. Getting a shot at restoring your grandpas truck is great. That your dad had it for a while adds to it. Until you know if it's a C/10 or C/20 maybe a camper special, how it's equipped will affect your future plans for it. Is it going to be a daily driver, weekend toy, show truck or what. You said you never built a engine but could do some of the maintance on it. It depends on if you are mechanical minded, have a place to do the work, tools to do it, and last of all TIME to work on it that will make that choice for you, It being a 396 engine you may have one of the trucks that make us old Chevy guys drool. Look on the inside of the glovebox door and see if the sticker is still there that tells you what it is equipped with. Look at the cab supports (where it attaches to the frame) for rust, also the cab corners and rocker panels. Make a list of all the things it needs and call around for prices on the work. I hope it will be that you can do most of it yourself and be able to pass it on for future family members. Good luck and keep us posted.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:09 AM   #5
OJOE
Crew Cut

welcome
06 CHEV TAHOE (WIFES)
30 MODEL A HOT ROD
07 HARLEY DAVIDSON BAGGER
09 STREET GLIDE
AN D A LOT MORE JUNK
OJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:27 AM   #6
PKelly

Thanks for your reply/info Ron 586 and thanks for the welcome from all.

I realized I didn't mention whether it is a C10 or C20 a while after I posted the message. It's a C20, 3/4 ton truck. I don't know if it's a camper special...I'll need to look at the tag on the glovebox door. I'll take a picture of that too. I don't recall any emblems on the outside to that say Camper Special ...just "Custom" on the doors...and "C-20" (I think) on the front fenders. My plan is to soften the suspension by changing it out. I recall it is an extremely rough/bouncy ride when the bed is empty. Made for a great hauler of a full cord of wood though...rode like a Cadillac!

I'll crawl under the truck to look at cab corners, cab supports and rockers.
I am mechanically minded. While I've never dug deap into an engine, I've change my own oil, brakes shoes/pads, plugs, distributor/rotor, plug wires, belts, hoses, t-stat, water pump, radiator...the 'external' parts of an engine. When my straight six needed an overhaul, a professional mechanic my dad knows really well did the overhaul for us at his shop/business. I get a Hanes manual for all my cars (when one's been written) to learn how to do things myself. My wife is very happy I can do things on my own...saves lots of money.

I have a 2 car detached garage that I just about doubled in size about 5 years ago by building a 16 x 20 extension onto it. The addition was for my woodworking shop...another hobby of mine. So, there's plenty of room for this project if I leave my current truck outside. My struggle is going to be the time to get the job done...and the specialty tools needed when digging deaply into the engine. That's why I was thinking I'll have the work done.\

Patrick
Old 02-18-2006, 10:41 AM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Welcome to the forum PKelly. It sounds like you have the potential for a great project. Since you know the entire history of the truck there shouldn't be any "previous owner" surprises that often creep in adding excessive costs to the restoration.

Unfortunately it's going to be very hard to answer your questions without a lot more info. If the motor doesn't need a rebuild, and the body isn't rusted beyond surface rust you are miles ahead in potential expenses. If you can do the majority of the work yourself and your pretty good at horse trading for parts or labor you have a good jump on things as well.

On the other hand if your going to have to pay to have any of the restoration done, and you want it done to a level that will last for a long time then the cost goes up substantialy.

Just to get an average paint job that doesn't include a lot of panel replacement you are looking at a bare minimium of 3000.00. Yes it can be done cheaper, but it will show. It's not uncommmon for a complete repaint to cost 5000-7000 and show quality can go over 10k.

I'm not trying to scare you away, just letting you know it won't be cheap. On the other hand if you end up spending 30k when it's all done and you have a like new truck that will be in the family for years to come I think that's a pretty good deal....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:47 AM   #8
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

Sounds like you are on the right track. If you have a trusted source to have the engine work done great. Good luck and I'll be waiting to see pictures of your truck.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 02:47 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Welcome from Maryland.Sounds like a nice and fairly unique`68.I wonder if your grandfather special ordered it.They didn`t set many on the lot like that,for sure.I had a`69 C/20 Stepside/396/TH400/Air truck and have seen very few like that.Mine was a coil rear suspension.Sounds like this one is a leaf.With a little looking,you could find the stuff to convert,they ride alot better.Either way,there`s always 1/2t springs if you`re not going to load it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:48 PM   #10
PKelly

Thanks for the responses. I agree that this will be a great project. My thoughts are that since my Dakota may need to be replaced in the next couple of years, I would fix up the '68 vs. buying a new (or newer used) truck to replace it. I might take a home equity loan for part of the cost of restoration and use my quarterly bonuses from my job (plus some discretionary savings - ie. some stocks I've been playing with, not retirement savings) to finance the project. The taxes on the home equity loan can be written off unlike a vehicle loan. To get a new or newer used truck, I figure I'd have to pay 20K or more so I'm willing to put close to that in the '68 and use it as my daily driver. Plus, since it's a simpler vehicle, it should be easier to repair than one with all the sensors, relays & computer stuff.
I do want the restoration to last for a long time so I'm willing to pay to have it done right. I could do some of the lighter-duty restoration work like replacing trim, installing interior parts, etc. But I would need experts to do any body repair (welding) & paint as well as major engine work.

Special K, My grandpa actually bought the truck & camper used in the early/mid 70's, according to my dad. So, I hope it wasn't messed up by the owner before him. I know it's been a great truck for us the last 30 or so years...didn't have any surprises that I'm aware of. I'll need to talk to my dad more to see if he remembers any modifications made by the person who owned it before my grandpa.

My initial thought on the suspension is to put a 1/2 ton suspension on it. I won't be doing much hauling in it at all. Maybe furniture or tools at times. ...although I don't want to be afraid to use it.

That brings to mind a thought/question I've had. Anyone aware of a "temporary" bedliner that can be dropped into the bed when mulch or other items need to be hauled so as to protect the paint? I would only need use the liner maybe a couple dozen times a year. I don't like plastic liners for permanent use...my Dakota has a Rhino liner but I'd like to keep the bed of the '68 as original (in wood) so I don't want to have one of those sprayed in. I thought about using a tarp but that wouldn't protect the paint enough.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:51 PM   #11
PKelly

Oops, I meant the interest can be written off on the home equity loan, not the taxes. I knew what I meant, just didn't type what I meant....
Old 02-19-2006, 01:21 AM   #12
krue
Designated A-hole!

Welcome to the board from South Mississippi. Sounds like a good project truck. Can't wait to see some pics.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:12 AM   #13
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

From West 10-UH-C
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:18 AM   #14
SassyChevyGirl
Account Suspended

Hi! Welcome to the board!
SassyChevyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:38 PM   #15
71SWBChevy
Post Whore

from KY

'71 Chevy 350/TH350 Hugger Orange
Currently just a rolling frame, body work soon to follow!!!
Check out my Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=212927

Daily Driver: 1997 Chevrolet S-10 with more gears than pistons
71SWBChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:23 PM   #16
EZ4U2C

Welcome PKelly form North Carolina , I know it is special to have grandfather and dads old truck. I'm sure it would bring back some good memories. I would suggest that if you had time go take a class at a nearby Community College in automotive body repair. Spend 8 to 12 weeks learning from a pro and then take that knowage and put on the truck. Grandfather would be PROUD. Also motor work is not all that hard, if your going to go back mostly stock then it's not as difficult as putting a big horsepower motor
together. We have a place here in North Carolina called CLASSIC MUSCLE
1-800-722-4828 These guys are great, they sell ANYTHING for 67-72 chey trucks and have great prices. Call and get you a catalog and you'll see that there is alot of stuff you call do yourself. I hope I've gave you some inspiration and maybe a idea. Show us some of them pics when you make them.

Last edited by EZ4U2C; 02-21-2006 at 05:24 PM.
EZ4U2C is offline   Reply With Quote