The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2015, 05:18 AM   #1
Axe

Frame swaps

Hello to all, I'm new to this site and to thread in general, but I have been reading the builds and the work that comes out of home shops is amazing. The reason I started this thread is, I have seen a lot of guys swapping 60's and 70's models 2wd trucks onto a late 70's or later frames to make them 4x4.
I like using the original frame if possible, anyway I started years ago on my first ever swap putting a 64 on a 79 4x4 frame, well after I got it on I stopped the build because the way the body set. It was to high on the frame anyway to me it just didn't look right, I was going to have to make tall brackets like they do when you put a early 50's on a s-10 frame.
Years later I came up with a 66 longbed that I was going to make 4x4, well I had a 86 running gear, so I got to looking. Well I found that you can take the spring hangers off the late model and put them on the older frame a lot easier than swapping bodies. The swap is simple and looks almost factory when your done, but the best thing is all of your body mounts stay the same and you don't even have to pull the cab to do it.
Anyways I was just wondering if that had ever been brought up, and maybe it might help someone on a build later. If anyone would like to see where the mounts go I can Take some pics of the frame and post them.

Good luck with your builds
Axe
Axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
3/4ton Randy

Re: Frame swaps

Well, sure Axe! I would love to see what you did. I have a 66 3/4 ton 2wd GMC and a 85 k20 4x4. I would like to have the modern running gear under the old body, but I keep hearing about how it doesn't work very well. I have about decided to give up on the 4x4 idea and find a front crossmember from a 80's 3/4 ton truck or suburban and move it so I could at least have disc brakes.
3/4ton Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:25 PM   #3
RedRoad

I would also like to see your project.

I was considering converting a 66 suburban to 4wd and purchased front spring hangers but noticed the frame where the rear shackle mount would go was WAY different than a real K10 not to mention the coil rear setup.

I can see a C30 with rear leaves a bit easier than a coil setup
RedRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:03 AM   #4
Axe

Hello I started a thread in the 4x4 projects and builds, (51 GMC 4x4) I just posted today how I converted the 66 frame to 4x4. Pics and all.

Axe
Axe is offline   Reply With Quote