The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
Reiner

Power Steering Conversation/ Cross over parts?!

Hey folks,

i´m planning a power steering conversation in my 68 swb. Can me somebody help me with the question about pump and steering gear from other PU, Blazer and so on?

Because here in Germany i often find 73-87 Blazer for parts out. Can i use the Steering Gear of this cars? Does it fit from the 4WD Blazer too, or only from 2WD?

Thanks for help and best regards!!! :-)

Reiner
Reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
gipper

Re: Power Steering Conversation/ Cross over parts?!

I also have a 1968 SWB Stepside. I got all my parts, ( Steering gear, pump, and brackets) off of a 1972 pickup. Did not even have to change the Pitman arm.
gipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

Reiner,

I got the steering box/pitman arm for my 2wd from a 76 2wd pickup.

The 4wd & 2wd boxes do not interchange.

The pump/bracket/hoses I got off another truck because I had an inline six.

The big thing to pay attention to is long water pump vs. short water pump setups as they do not interchange. Check what you have currently before buying.

Auf Wiedersehen!
-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
hugger6933

The steering box will work from a chevy truck TWO WHEEL DRIVE. the four wheel turns differently. Also the boxes can be used from trucks up to the 87 model year or from the Suburban if it is a square one up to the 90 model year. [they were later bringing it out with the trucks body style] But you must be aware that the newer boxes say from like the 78or 79 and newer carry a metric type fitting in the box and the power steering hoses for your model truck won't work. The solution is to use the ones for the model from the truck the box came or change the box by the use of an adapter [they are availble from a place called LEE]. If you have an older pump and a newer box the best thing to do is to screw the big nut out of the back of the pump and replace it with the newer style one. That is the pressure relief valve and it is as simple to convert as changing the nut, and then it will have the new style end in the pump. The newer the pump, the quicker the ratio will be and the better the steering and feel of the road you will have. If you are pulling parts while you are at it take the front sway bar off of that newer truck, it will also bolt on to your truck and make another huge difference in the way it handles. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
Tinkermc

73 model year are 3.5 turns lock to lock 72 and before are 4.5 turns lock to lock. So you can speed up your steering and make it handle more like a sports truck
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #6
Reiner

Thank you very much for all your answers!
Then i´m searching for a Steering Gear of a 2 WD Blazer 73-87, i think they are similar to the Truck Gears.... Blazers are easier to find here in Germany for Parting Out, than Trucks.

My Pump ist original from my 327 Corvette/ Opel Diplomat Engine, i think i can match them.

@ hugger: you´re right, i added a swaybar last spring from a wrecked Blazer, it´s a huge different!!

@ tinkermc: great tip, sounds very good, i dont like the 10345 turns without p/s i have in the moment :-))

Again, many thanks for your replies and i wish all a happy new Year :-)

Reiner

Last edited by Reiner; 01-01-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Reiner is offline   Reply With Quote