The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2018, 10:51 PM   #1
roger55

$32K for this?

Oh my gosh what a poor restoration:

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/...kup-c-7932.htm

One of the lower cowls shows to be completely rusted out. What do you bet the cab corners are stuffed with bondo. Who knows what else is wrong but I'd wager a lot.

Well, if you don't like that one, maybe you would like this one:

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/...56a-c-7920.htm

Costs more though!
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:13 PM   #2
Softpatch

Re: $32K for this?

a lot of red flags with the 55
Todly missed 1/2 vin tag with the "Paint brush"
not a frame off restore
I would like to see it after it sits on the street for a week
someone went to the effort to change the color
1966 C-20 .....Swap 91 G-30(5.7 FI)/4L80E
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=789617
59 Viking Revival .. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632341
Softpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:23 PM   #3
whitedog76

I’m actually surprised at the price of classic trucks as of lately. When you look at some of the sales at auctions, the trucks are going for a premium. The 55 is definitely a “driver” and not a show truck. If it were a Suburban or Panel truck, it word be worthy of it’s price tag.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:41 PM   #4
Hampshire

The TF is definitely no mint julep - at least the Porsche has patina ...and the rest... well, that will buff right out.
Hampshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:21 AM   #5
joedoh

I am a german car nut, have been for a lot of years, can speak in model numbers and engine sizes and valve lash with all the cognoscenti. I wish I had bought all the 356s and 911s I thought were overpriced just 10 years ago, because the values are going crazy as the supply dries up. 10 years ago that crusher parts car would have been 10-12k and now I look at what a finished 356a goes for and think, 40k? he will probably get it.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:00 AM   #6
mr48chev

Have to agree with you there Joedoh, a close friend of mine had a 356 that I think he ended up selling for little of nothing and now that he is disabled he and his wife could really use the price that car would bring today.

On that green TF It's maybe a 12K truck in most markets as is but it is in a dealership that sells cars and trucks to folks who write out a check just because they want what is the hot lick automotive toy of the week. You will probably see some rock star driving it in his video before long or showing up at one of those reality tv car rebuilders with it to have it reworked for another 100K

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:39 PM   #7
OrrieG

New steps but did not bother to paint the bottom of any the fenders, rockers, etc. That would have required taping off the rusty frame and parts to prevent overspray that would have triggered actually doing work on the frame. Nice that they left lots of wire coiled up in the back for future electrical fixes.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:29 PM   #8
DPete

It's not worth it but mine isn't worth what I have in it either. They tried to stay somewhere near stock, it wouldn't take much to bring it back to totally stock which seems to be where the $$ are.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:16 PM   #9
jjzepplin

Come on guys.. Maybe not 30k but still a nice looking truck. I would drive the hubcaps off it. Jet ski in the bed and a surfboard. Nice color. My truck is not that nice. What would you pay for that truck? My favorite style though so I might be biased a bit.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:44 AM   #10
1project2many

Quote:
Maybe not 30k but still a nice looking truck. I would drive the hubcaps off it.
I think that's the point. It's not about picking apart the truck, but about showing how the asking price of the truck does not match the quality of the work. It's frustrating to me to watch the value of these trucks get so high that even rusted junks sell for thousands. But I think the flip side is that 25 years after I restored my truck there are more replacement pieces available than there were 10 years after the truck was made.

Quote:
New steps but did not bother to paint the bottom of any the fenders, rockers, etc.
I wonder if the steps were installed with two-part adhesive. The bottom appears to have the factory E-coat and no signs that heat from welding damaged the finish.

I cringed at the house carpet in the interior with screwed in home flooring transition strips on the edges, and it was frustrating to see strands of carpet dangling out past the transition strips! The park brake cables appear to be cut so anyone who needs to pass a safety inspection to register or use the vehicle will be spending time and $$ almost immediately. The interior is reasonably presentable which makes the poorly restored steering wheel and rusted horn button stand out like a sore thumb.

Quote:
On that green TF It's maybe a 12K truck in most markets as is but it is in a dealership that sells cars and trucks...
Agreed! I spent a few years at a place like that. They can even set you up with financing for your dream! If the vehicle is a consignment the dealer has likely promised the consigner a pocketful of cash. Unfortunately the dealer may end up talking the seller into authorizing repair of a number of issues such as the parking brake cables, and the cost of the repair will come from the seller's proceeds after the dealer's commission is taken out. They may also try to talk the seller into paying any financing charges, registration charges, or shipping charges in order to ensure the sale is made. The seller's pocketful of cash can disappear before it ever existed while the dealer and its partners profit at every turn.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:06 PM   #11
Black_Sheep

For $32K I would expect a higher standard of detailing. The chassis and engine compartment do not look restored, overall the truck looks like it was slapped together...
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:59 PM   #12
joedoh

I dont agree that its a 32k truck, but its pretty far from being a 12k truck. 1/2 ton 55 56 57 short beds with a small window are usually around 16k around here, in primer, running. I have seen a lot less sell for a lot more. my guess would be 23-25k even with a rusted cowl.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:01 PM   #13
roger55

I tend to agree with the $12K range.

A guy would have to take a chance it wouldn't fall apart after a relatively short time.
A "slapped together" truck described it pretty well. No telling how it would hold up but chances are there is a lot of shoddy work where we can't see. Basing that on what we can see.

For me, the truck needs to be blown all apart and started from scratch. I might as well look for a truck that looks worse (but isn't) and is well less than $12K.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:17 PM   #14
mr48chev

From looking at the rest of what they have for sale they handle a lot of restoration projects along with some interesting rides.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:24 PM   #15
capnduane

For sure a 20 footer.... Poor carpet job and the steering wheel is right there in your eye when you get in. These things and more, make you wonder what you can't see.... Still, not a bad looking truck. Just over priced. I would price it at 20k. Somebody has done a lot of work on it, and to get more money ya gotta spend more money!
Old 01-08-2018, 11:28 AM   #16
ptc

Wow whats with all all the criticism on here? Dont mean to be negative but jeese guys lighten up a just a bit. I dont think the 'builder' expected it to go across the Barrett Jackson auction block anytime soon.... ! If you really want to talk about OVER-INFLATED PRICES!!!!

I didnt read the whole ad but the pics look like its just an old truck with some new paint put on it. So what if it house carpet? Its what the builder wanted. It covers the floors right?

Somebody will most likely pay $32K for it and it will be their pride and joy, why rob them of that by just being negative? Everybody cant have a SHOW QUALITY FOOSE OVERHAULED BRAND NEW VEHICLE that somebody else paid for in their garages....

The old motto that "Everything is For Sale, For a Price" comes into play here. and that is what will hold true in car sale no matter what. You either pay the price or you move on to something else. But dont be bitter or a critic of someone elses choice.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:58 AM   #17
vintovka

Hard to realize that 32K in todays dollars is really not much. May even be less very soon. Ill bet theres that much just in labor and parts excluding the cost of the base truck.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #18
Second Series

I too noticed the carpet trim and steering wheel. The turn signal hazard knob looks sun checked pink. The vin tag may have had the paint removed for easier ID, but the ID tag is missing. The thing that really concerns me may be a safety issue, the exhaust under the brake master and no heat shield.
Attached Images

Second Series is offline   Reply With Quote