The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
bahama burb

1967 Burban with a hideaway hitch

I was kinda put off by the failure of the engineering design of the company that makes the hidden hitch for suburbans. Their failures are due to the fact that the tube directly intersects the main tube with no reinforcement of the cut area in the way of gussets. To combat that i researched what was available in kit form to do the same thing. I came up with a receiver made by Hidden Hitch for RV or motorhome use. The side plates are adjustable and you can merely bolt them to the center tube or you can do what I did and weld them to the center bar. The part number is 82200S and I found mine for about $159.00 plus shipping
bahama burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
wabash15

Re: 1967 Burban with a hideaway hitch

Did you mount your hitch tube behind the license plate or under it? - I would like to mount mine so it hangs just under the license plate - is that hitch adjustable enough to do that?
wabash15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
vectorit
What?

"hidden hitches" are behind the LP.

Thanks for the info! Oh, and welcome to the board!

I have been wanting to put a hidden hitch on my burb for a long time now, but never thought it looked right - and your post confirms what I felt. Thanks for saving me my money and time!
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
bahama burb

This hitch is just barely behind the license plate..........oh and the brand is Hidden Hitch not a description of where it is..........lol......I'll try to take some pictures this weekend of it so you can see it
Old 10-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
bahama burb

No Wabash it isn't adjustable as to how far down it drops only the frame rail width but there are other brands that have some RV hitches that have different drops and then the width is also adjustable.......The business I retired from was the hitch business so I'm kinda into this sort of thing
Old 10-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
bahama burb

Two Pictures of the hitch

Last edited by bahama burb; 10-10-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 10-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
Street Smart

Both of my trucks (Sub and a Panel) have receivers behind the plate. First one was homemade but really nice, the second i bought years ago from Early Classic Enterprises.
http://www.earlyclassic.com/

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...=74049&cat=500
Street Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #8
Beelzeburb
Devil's in the Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahama burb View Post
I was kinda put off by the failure of the engineering design of the company that makes the hidden hitch for suburbans. Their failures are due to the fact that the tube directly intersects the main tube with no reinforcement of the cut area in the way of gussets.
Is this in reference to the ECE hitch? If it is I'd assume the reference is to this thread where one was shown having failed in the aftermath of a collision: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444294

I'm all for additional strength. I'm trying to see how the Hidden Hitch design...

... is stronger than the ECE design...

Are you talking about the tube that the receiver slides into, intersecting the main tube on the ECE hitch? If so, is the Hidden Hitch design where the receiver tube is positioned a little differently (not intersecting, but welded to the main tube) inherently stronger? I'd guess that could be a little stronger because the square tubing hasn't been cut in the middle and welded to another piece. Then again, the receiver tube is simply welded to the main tube on the Hidden Hitch without any extra visible gussets either. The strength differences of each would be the bit I'd really like to know, but I can only hypothesize because I'm not an engineer.

Last edited by Beelzeburb; 10-12-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Beelzeburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
bahama burb

The main tube on mine is cut also but is fully gusseted underneath about 10"
Old 10-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
Beelzeburb
Devil's in the Details

Is the gusset you're referring to the piece of plate welded to the bottom underneath both the main tube and the receiver tube? If it is, the ECE hitch has a 9" long piece of 1/4" plate welded all around on the underside of both tubes as well.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #11
bahama burb

I'm not bashing your ECE hitch the hitch I was referrring to had NO gussets, back off buddy
Old 10-13-2011, 03:10 AM   #12
Beelzeburb
Devil's in the Details

Gee, this text based communication thing is tricky sometimes. There just aren't many tools that help set the right tone for the messages on boards. Even that last sentence, for instance could be read from the perspective of the writer lamenting the lack of tools available to them, or it could conceivably be interpreted as a lambast against someone else (by the way, its the former, not the latter). I love your solution. I think it's great that there is at least one more hidden hitch option available to burb owners now thanks to your dedicated research and willingness to experiment. We need options. I think the install looks good too.

Unfortunately, I assumed the bit about the hidden hitch in reference being made by Early Classic Enterprises because it is the only one I knew about that was made for 67-72 Suburbans and had been previously discussed here as having in one instance failed in the aftermath of that accident. I know, its dangerous to assume. I'm not familiar with other brands and their manufacturing styles. I really was trying to understand the benefits you'd written about in the first post. You also mentioned having been in the hitch business, so I hoped perhaps to gain some insight on basic receiver design because my knowledge in this area is quite lacking and all I had to go on was a basic understanding of weight ratings and what products I had already seen in the marketplace. Hence the attempts to draw comparisons.

I'd love to know more about good receiver design (I'll be higher on my 'to research' list now) and perhaps learn about the other hitch that failed. I'm not trying to bash anything either, simply attempting to understand the good points.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #13
IAFF2407

"back off buddy"? threatening comments like that are not appreciated on this site. Bahama you have 6 posts. Please indulge yourself more with this site to understand how we do things here.

thx.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #14
bahama burb

IAFF2407, I came on here to give information that might be helpful to others, I was jumped on by a previous member.......if you see my comment as threatening so be it.....I don't want to be associated with a group of this type......have a nice life guys no more posts...........promise.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #15
magicoolbus

Waaa, waaa, waaa: Call the waaambulance!
1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #16
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

I. To post or transmit hate speech, harassing content, threats of violence against another member written in a serious manner or joking with a hint of innuendo will lead from a 24 hour suspension or immediate suspension off the web site at the Administrators discretion

III. No pissing matches. Its fine to disagree, but once a thread has run its course, and degenerated into little more than an insult fest, it will be locked. While this will require a judgment call by the Administrators & Moderators. The members of this site can keep our moderating to a minimum by exercising a little discretion and self- control. Excessive profanity will lead to a 24 hour suspension at the Administrations discretion.

IV. Pure trolling, either to upset someone or simply for your personal
enjoyment, is strictly prohibited. If you're here to cause trouble, it will be a very short stay. Immediate BAN and you will be reported to your ISP

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...nt.php?f=3&a=9

one n final warning for all acting assy..
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote