The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2016, 12:54 AM   #1
rs74

Project Z

I guess I should start a bit of a build thread here. A little history first. I bought this 91 Z71 short bed around 2000 or so and drove it pretty regular for about four years or so. I acquired a couple of different vehicles after and the 91 pretty much set around. It had begun to get pretty tired at 250,000+ miles. Eventually after a few years of setting I bought a parts truck for the drivetrain. I swapped in the donor engine and replaced the 700r4 with a NV3500 trans. I had went through the engine and put new gaskets, oil pump, water pump, tune up etc. on it as I went. The trans received a new heavy duty clutch kit. After all of this it rarely got driven and pretty much sat over the next couple years. I did start driving it again off and on for about six months at a time.

Well in 2014 I sold it to help fund a business I was starting. I regretted doing so but I had to do it for the business. I knew I had made a mistake and after the business started doing well I plotted to try to buy it back. Fast forward to about a month ago when I bought it back after the rear end had pretty much exploded and put a whole through the pumpkin. I haven't done much to it since except took the hood and grille off my 93 and swapped them on. I also bought a six lug 14 bolt and put in. I had to put new pinion and axle seals in along with new rear brakes. I have since drove it a few miles enough to know that the new rear end is working good.

My plans for the truck were to get the rear end fixed, body/paint work, redo interior, new factory take off wheels, exhaust and then possible a 5.3l and 4l60e that I have in a donor truck.

Today I thought I would swap dashes from my 93 into the 91. I started on the 93 and had the dash out in a couple hours after being my first one. I then started on the 91 and soon found out the dash cluster plug connectors are mounted totally different. I about called it quits right then but decided I would try to somehow make it work. I went ahead and pulled the 91 dash too. This led me to find a mess of wires hidden behind the dash that have been like this since before I bought it originally but didn't know it was like this. I found anything from wire nuts used to duct tape to speaker wire use as ground wires. I quickly cut all of that out and still have to finish a few thing up. T

This then led to me totally ripping out all the interior. I had not intended to do this but it all came on kind of quickly. As it sets now all the interior is out minus door panels and a couple trim pieces. I am going to work on getting the new dash back in it and everything hooked back up. The rest of the interior might hold off for awhile. I am having thought of swapping a 700r4 back in while the carpet is out. I would have to weld in the plate I originally cut out for the NV3500 to go in. Figured this might be the time instead of doing this twice later. I am still debating. If I can find a deal on a transmission without having to rebuild or buy a new one then I might go ahead and do this now. I am wanting to get the bodywork and paint done next before wheels and exhaust. I guess this is enough reading for this time. I will get some photos up here tomorrow. Time to turn into bed for the night.

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote