The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2018, 07:43 PM   #1
Kree

Getting ready to pull my first 5.3 from the junkyard

Hey all! Been lurking for awhile and finally have my first question. Heading out to the junkyard to pull a 5.3 and trans this friday for my 68 C20. Other than an assortment of 10, 13 and 15mm sockets and wrenches, some pliers for coolant hoses, some elbow grease and an engine hoist... are there any other tools needed to pull the motor and trans out? Am I cutting the wiring harness at the firewall in order to keep the engine bay fusebox or can i cut at the fuse box to keep it all simple. I really dont want a bunch of stuff under the hood if its not necissary. Thank you in advace for any help, trying to make this a quick trip to the yard lol
Kree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:56 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: Getting ready to pull my first 5.3 from the junkyard

Unless you are getting a stand alone harness for the conversion I wouldn't cut a thing and try to get the entire harness. You can always trim down later
kwmech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:03 AM   #3
ls1nova71

If you are going to be cutting down the original harness and not using the under hood fuse box, then you can just unbolt the harness from it. There are 7mm bolts holding the harness to the fusebox, no cutting necessary.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:03 AM   #4
my kids toy

I needed a 18mm socket as well but I do not remember what it was for, I did remove the front clip so it could have been that. I had to go buy one to get mine out.
my kids toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:38 AM   #5
Wgesnerjr

Whay year are you pulling from?

if it's DBW, you will need the accelerator pedal and the TAC module. If it's DBC, I would take the throttle cable.

If you're running stock manifolds, a battery powered sawsall and a couple of blades will help you get the headpipes with the o2 bungs. might also help cutting trans lines if they become stubborn.

On junkyard trips, I usually forget an assortment of Torx head drivers I inevitably wind up needing. broke down and bought a cheap set from harbor freight to keep in a junk yard bag.

Take pics of the extracting and post.
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:33 AM   #6
Kree

First off thank you for the replies and sorry for not documenting the pull with pixtures. I had the intentions of doing so but ran low on time the day of the pull.

Ended up pulling 5.3l and 4l60E from a 2002 Yukon XL gonna check the vin in the morning. The junkyard is right next to my work lol. Was able to unbolt the center bluck from the fuse block and the rest basically unclipped. This yard cuts the exhaust at the cats so that saved from having to use the sawzall. I did use an 18mm socket on something just cant rember what and a small tirx to remove 2 bolts on the radiator support. A couple of guys next to me had a 4' or so pry bar and a huge set of what looked like branch lopers to cut oil lines and what not. Otherwise pretty straigtforward.

Removed headlights and plastics from radiator and inner fendes. Removed radiator and ac core. Then got the wiring harnes sorted out. Ended up cutting power steering line but kept power steering cooler. Removed 6 motor mount bolts and a trans mount bolt and had them lift it out with the fork lift. The hardest part I think was removing the radiator stuff. Now to cleaning it all up and going thru it all.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #7
paul mora

Now you can take some photos. Just courteous what yard did you get it from.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:25 PM   #8
Kree

Yeah ill start taking pics of the cleaning and process to get it in the truck for sure. I went to the pick your part in wilmington, ca with the primo yard.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:27 PM   #9
paul mora

I know people around town that can tune and program down the road. I am just one city over so close by for help and question answering. I help at a shop where we convert reqularly, neighbors are all the builders shop who answer all our questions. Whart are you doing for the harness.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:10 AM   #10
Kree

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul mora View Post
I know people around town that can tune and program down the road. I am just one city over so close by for help and question answering. I help at a shop where we convert reqularly, neighbors are all the builders shop who answer all our questions. Whart are you doing for the harness.
Ive been researching the harness and I think im going to attempt reworking it myself. Ill definately need the ecu programed. Yeah we are really close. Im actually up by the 22 in little siagon.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:04 AM   #11
Jstock85

I redid my own harness. I researched "you can do it to" on you tube. The guy rebuilds a complete engine and harness in great detail. Brendan on lt1swap.com also has a couple good videos on you tube. His website also has a ton of good information. I also sent him my pcm to flash. He had it back in about a week. Fired right up on first try and has ran well.
Jstock85 is offline   Reply With Quote