The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2024, 12:42 PM   #26
jumpsoffrock

Re: My story on how I got involved in these trucks

A sad day for Sammy, but he lives on in your trucks, all the bolts turned and rides taken. Good times.
Dashman, I hope I make as far as they did.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 01:47 PM   #27
Getter-Done

So sorry for your loss.

I lost my Daddy 19 years ago.
He served in the Air Force as did my Momma's Father. (My Grandpa).

They both helped me with my Truck passion.

Again, My Deepest Condolences for your loss.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 05:41 PM   #28
MikeB

That's a nice story, but a tough loss. My son who is several states away had my 69 for a few years. He drove it mostly on weekends to Home Depot or the recycle center, with his kids along for the ride smiling all the way! He spent lots of money at his friend's shop on paint, body, and trim, then later sent it back to me to fix some mechanical and electrical issues. Of course I've added things it didn't really need, like headers! When I leave this earth, he'll get the truck back, and I doubt he'll ever sell it.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 01-23-2024 at 01:35 PM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 10:28 PM   #29
jerry moss
Born Psycho

sorry for your loss, i'm going to be going through the same thing sooner than later, my dad is a month away from 93 and his health is declining quickly. I lost my mom shortly after i graduated high school in 1976- she was only 41-from cancer. please accept my condolences.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 02:06 PM   #30
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog View Post
I am typing this due to the one that got me going with the trucks has suffered a stroke and has lost all movement on his left side. A healthy 60 year old man enjoying his retirement from the military on his measly military pension.

I didnt get a lot of time with my father growing up. He was a career Army Helicopter mechanic. The one summer we attempted to spend together was inturrepted by training for Desert Storm. Thru all these times there was the one constant a Blue and White 1969 Chevy Long Bed. That truck seen many miles between Fort Campbell Kentucky and Missouri and then later between Fort Hood Texas and Missouri. Fort Hood Texas almost ended the life of that old truck when it was broadsided in an intersection. Pushing the bed side in and pushing the rear end almost to where the tire was rubbing the frame. At the same time that this occured my father was retiring from the Army and headed to Korea to work a civilian job. Prior to him leaving the truck was fixed up and fresh paint put on it. The truck set in the garage for 10 years after that.

I graduated high school, entered the real world of work, kids, divorce, and all those adult things you do. But all our conversations always evolved around his truck or the truck that I had bought.
Attachment 1368527
Attachment 1368526

When my father decided to return to the states he purchased a small lot and built a big garage. The next year i started the process of tearing down my truck for my first attempt at a restore and my dad purchased a 71 gmc and 2 pickup truck loads of parts. So that fall and winter we built not 1 truck but we built 2 trucks in the same garage at the same time. Picking thru the stache of parts. Both trucks were completed along with my grandfather building a 1970 4x4 out of our left overs as well during the same time period.
Attachment 1368529

We have had many trips to meet many people on the board, we were at the National Board Meet in Norwood, MO when my engine blew, we went to Kirksville, MO to a midwest meet when I lost my tranny, we have taken 2 trips to the Midwest All Truck Nationals in Kansas City, and the awesome trip to Paris TN for another National Board Meet where it rained most of the way. We have met great people along the way at swap meets and just thru the board. Which led to the most recent project a 1967 Chevy Short bed we bought from Tycoon4u. This truck is awaiting the engine install and a tranny along with interior.
Attachment 1368528
So this is my story of how I got involved into these trucks. Everyone, remember the moments you spend with your loved ones, even if you are on your back laying in a puddle of tranny fluid. You never know when you might have that oppurtunity taken away from you.
You're a lucky guy.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote