The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2023, 12:49 AM   #376
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
Looks amazing with the wheels all together
Thank you. I can't believe how much better a drive the wheels are over the 15x8. Granted the tires on those are 26 years They're actually in decent shape, surprisingly.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 01:52 AM   #377
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Perhaps a coincidence I ran with double WW tires, just found this in the 1971 brochure. That or I had seen it before, and forgot, 50/50. Not quite a match though. Same trim level, Deluxe.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 09-13-2023 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-13-2023, 01:45 PM   #378
cericd

Oooweee, that's a purty truck! You just can't beat the look of OEM width steel wheels with factory caps IMHO. Love this thread, it's so detailed. I need to go back through it from the start. I should really check out that C10 Assembly Guide you made. I wonder how much of it would be applicable to my '70 C10. I don't see why people don't like ochre. It's a blast from the past for me. Guess I'm just showing my age, or my affinity for old stuff.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 09:17 PM   #379
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
Oooweee, that's a purty truck! You just can't beat the look of OEM width steel wheels with factory caps IMHO. Love this thread, it's so detailed. I need to go back through it from the start. I should really check out that C10 Assembly Guide you made. I wonder how much of it would be applicable to my '70 C10. I don't see why people don't like ochre. It's a blast from the past for me. Guess I'm just showing my age, or my affinity for old stuff.
It's not ochre, it's spanish gold Same thing I love the color, most of the colors are super nice.

If I had to put a number on it, 85% plus would apply to a 70 C10. I hoped to be done by now, where's my bumpers? Floor still pending too, but I plan to have the guide done before November no matter what. Prepping for that now.
Old 09-17-2023, 04:31 PM   #380
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Installed a proper battery in this. That took well over a year to get, seemed they stopped making them with covid mentality. But they're punching them out again. That and the air cleaner decal finishes the engine bay.

Bumpers are supposedly done. It's 500 miles round trip, so when they declared them done the first time I asked a guy to inspect them. Apparently the front had been scratched. Crossing my fingers.

The upholstery guy is slowly working on the seat, needs a spring or two. We plan to install that and carpet before December, declare it done. Unbelievable, I thought I'd finish by July 2022.
Attached Images

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 09-19-2023 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-17-2023, 04:54 PM   #381
mr.mud1

looking great sir,you've done a marvelous job.all the best.Greg
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 05:09 PM   #382
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
looking great sir,you've done a marvelous job.all the best.Greg
With help from guys like yourself. Thank you.
Old 09-26-2023, 07:33 PM   #383
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

What a twist man. I delivered my bumpers for re-chroming in Fresno. That's 500 miles RT though from Fresno I run three hours north to see my girlfriend. Anyway, I picked them up Friday. Rear is Grrrrreat, and after rechrome you can clearly see the two holes I punched into it. But I didn't see them on the front bumper, which supposedly had to be rechromed twice due a scratch. Took much longer to do too, by 3 months, yet it was in the best shape of the two by far.

So I figured well, maybe I made a mistake or the dimples filled in somehow, I'm tired, here's 1600 bucks, bye. Don't do that, it was almost a huge mistake. I didn't have all the material I needed and gave them the benefit of the doubt. But a mile down the road I weighed it, which was a match, so that eased my head, at least until I could break them out at home.

Full inspection yesterday, I have the before and after pictures on a desktop. They gave me a different bumper for too many reasons, pictured. There's even a part number stamped in 5-6 places. To my knowledge original bumpers are unstamped, they only had a decal. The interiors of the "rechromed" bumpers also look completely different. The front looks more like a new reproduction bumper, though the bumper exterior finishes look the same.

So I slepted just a wink last night, oh no, out $800 plus my bumper is Gooooooooooooooone. Collected info. last night and made a phone call this morning. The guy I've been dealing with was great. He put me in touch with the boss who spent part of his day looking for my bumper at his repairman's place, oh noooooo!

He just contacted me with LOTS of pictures, they found my bumper and said turnaround is ASAP instead of 5 months, and they offered to meet me half way or better.

That my friends is lucky, and shows good faith in Fresno. Yikes, you should see the place.

The finishes really do look the same. Though the front has a slight flaw I missed when I picked it up, dodged another bullet. Now look at the rear sides. Same shop? WTH? Makes me think the front is a new repro., though it's interior shows 20+ punch appearing dents in the back, about 1/4" each. Oh, and the part number on the replacement.
Attached Images

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 09-26-2023 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-26-2023, 08:36 PM   #384
pjmoreland

Wow. That is not cool.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 08:53 PM   #385
zicc1835

and I thought I was hitting bumps in the road with my build ... bad dinged up and scratched repop bumper was replaced by Jeff Cooperrestorations in less than a month great guy to deal with .....good luck on the rest of the story
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 10:41 PM   #386
mr.mud1

geez Tony,that's not performance.that front bumper sure does look like a repro.i have only ever handled a few repops but they always seemed to be lighter and lighter gauge material,making it easy to tell.that number stamped in the bumper isn't enough numbers to be a GM Part number,as you know.if i read this right,they have your correct bumper and will be doing that one ASAP?hope so.
Old 09-26-2023, 11:27 PM   #387
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
geez Tony,that's not performance.that front bumper sure does look like a repro.i have only ever handled a few repops but they always seemed to be lighter and lighter gauge material,making it easy to tell.that number stamped in the bumper isn't enough numbers to be a GM Part number,as you know.if i read this right,they have your correct bumper and will be doing that one ASAP?hope so.
Yes they have my bumper and turn around "asap". It's already been five months. I agree, the replacement front bumper does strike me as a reproduction. Only thing I don't get is it has pock marks like these in places, like it's seen work. Why "rework" a repop. which the bumper is??? Couldn't tell you.

Picture of the replacement bumper. The original bumper is in the top LH corner for comparison. Same for the image showing the other side - the edges are clearly not the same. I punch pen marked the bumpers parallel the bottom license plate frame exterior.

My son agrees with Moreland. At best this was neglect on "the repairman's" side. At worst they tried to rip me off. I'm just ecstatic they located my front bumper, images proven. They hadn't touched it.
Attached Images

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 09-26-2023 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-27-2023, 12:08 AM   #388
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicc1835 View Post
and I thought I was hitting bumps in the road with my build ... bad dinged up and scratched repop bumper was replaced by Jeff Cooperrestorations in less than a month great guy to deal with .....good luck on the rest of the story
I've had a share. Among others,

Sent my A/C across country to Florida, three times. They did great work work, only to pack the parts wrong damaging the finish, twice. I was just a little angry with them the second time. I have a free extended warranty That was about a year in the making.

Sent my glass moldings out. Yeah the &%% polished everything, including the rears that needed work. They claimed the dents couldn't be tamed. Found a master in Tex. Great work, right up until he packed the lower rear. Imagine if you will a PVC pipe inside a tube for overkill my part, only so the Texan would recap the tube only, with a single piece of used tape. So I had to send it back again. Another year in the making, or close.

Over a year to receive the correct bench seat cover. Now my bench repair/upol./ floor guy is in no hurry, we figure by Dec. Sure, counting the time to receive the cover this has been an 18 month deal, so far.

Picked up what was supposed to be an A+ rechromed or show quality rear bumper. Wholly Toledo, the bumper's exterior was stamped with a part number. Got my money back. Geezus.

Cant forget radiators. Yeah the first failed, I hated it anyway. Second was installed just long enough to run new trans. lines, because it was junk as well. Picked up "the best" from US radiator. Yeah, that failed. Surprising really, they're generally a high quality build IMO, bad luck? So they sent me a new one, which dang, they missed on the filler assembly, the cap's wing edges the radiator bracket. They said so sorry and wow, we'll send a new one performed by the A-team. I didn't push it, four installs are already enough.

Can't forget the 400TH either. Yeah that was rebuilt. Years later it failed with not so much as a mile on it, $1600+ gone. Another $1700 got me a great shop and they even R/R, cleanly. It's nice to have connections. I was lucky, how's that for half full? Yeah, BS, but my bud felt sorry for me

Nearly two years to get hubcaps, though that didn't hold anything up really.

The tailgate had to be repainted, unfortunately the "painter" missed a tailgate handle hole, I take blame as well for not preventing/planning for it. We missed a couple molding holes in the rest of the body too, though on unpainted parts. I can say where to drill now I don't want to talk about my rebuilt steering box that leaks. Perhaps it sat dry too long, couldn't tell you. I can learn to live with it, that's what rags are for.

I don't know, seems COVID mentality is a reason for some mis-steps. But I've been blessed a lot. Mostly the paint/body/body build lead guy, we did it twice (dry run). I couldn't have done this without him.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 09-27-2023 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-02-2023, 01:13 PM   #389
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Well at least I have a rear bumper to install. The license plate bracket is out with the guy who painted the truck, I optioned for argent silver and a clear coat.

By some measure I'd like to see it a pinch higher on the left, but all considered I'm sticking with this after a few attempts. Happy mediums, it's off by <20th, but would still be off <20th in places to raise it. We had to modify brackets for this rare doesn't mean desirable frame, they really came through.

I read some suggesting a washer placed between each bracket and bumper is desirable, to disperse some load. Well I nearly did that and promptly pulled them. No way, if the brackets are flat and flush to the bumper that's exactly the disbursement required. Washers might lead to a distorted bumper and plain isn't right, IMO. The assembly manual doesn't include them anyway. That said, I've seen replacement brackets, their bumper surfaces are anything but flat.

That's the second time this bumper was rechromed. First was by Stockton Plating, still had their sticker. The first time it came as a gift from my mom, early 90s. I proceeded to ruin it then, because the brackets were just plain wrong, I did it backwards too and bent the *(^)^^ out of it torquing it down. .....Ahhhhhh! The truck came with a step bumper.

GM's designs were real good, the bumpers top outer edges are plumb the lower side trim's top outer edge. I didn't check for sure, looks dead on.
Attached Images

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 10-02-2023 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 06:05 PM   #390
CAMAROBOY68SS

Sweet truck and I feel your pain on the front bumper issue. Had a similar situation on a hood bar for a 56 Chevy sedan. The car is a custom with alot of nose work, the hood bar was still untouched in terms of mods but was the one fitted to the car prior to paint. Sent stuff off to chrome, everything else came back but the bar, was told it got missed when they did the plating and were working on it. 4 months go by and finally get the bar and its not even close to the one we sent. It was another piece off a wrecked car. The v bend was a different angle and you could not install it. Shop would never answer calls and then going in would not even talk. My guess someone in the shop needed a 56 bar and swiped it and they went and found the first one they could plate to hand back. Took another 6 months and a couple different pieces till we found one that worked again.

C10 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=833278

The "Others"
1933 Ford Pickup (Camaro in disguise)
2017 Camaro SS

Life long Chevy guy
CAMAROBOY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 01:23 PM   #391
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMAROBOY68SS View Post
Sweet truck and I feel your pain on the front bumper issue. Had a similar situation on a hood bar for a 56 Chevy sedan. The car is a custom with alot of nose work, the hood bar was still untouched in terms of mods but was the one fitted to the car prior to paint. Sent stuff off to chrome, everything else came back but the bar, was told it got missed when they did the plating and were working on it. 4 months go by and finally get the bar and its not even close to the one we sent. It was another piece off a wrecked car. The v bend was a different angle and you could not install it. Shop would never answer calls and then going in would not even talk. My guess someone in the shop needed a 56 bar and swiped it and they went and found the first one they could plate to hand back. Took another 6 months and a couple different pieces till we found one that worked again.
Big bummer, what a relief it must have been to relocate the right bar. Few things worse than thieves, it's such a poor trait, putting it mildly.
Old 10-07-2023, 06:41 PM   #392
Shifty One

Wow, what a nice build....

1998 C2500 lot-rot rescue
Shifty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 11:38 PM   #393
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I finished developing a kit so to speak. It's a 69 page assembly guide, packed tightly with descriptions. That was the hard part. The easy part are over 700 images of assemblies, charts, illustrations and points of interest supporting the guide. There's also a parts document, which has a few additional details as well, such as for the 1971 trim levels.

The guide doesn't ramble on like I do, I'll swear to it. I retired writing computer specs., business processes, and such; did that far too long. I basically wrote the guide document along the same logic and flow. Streamlined full details, dumbed down where I can even understand it. I think of it like a engineering document written for the 4th grade level

Anyway, I spent more time on this than building the truck, how sad is that I've floated this past Liz pending response, I'd like to sell copies of all of it to those interested. Board price, and that comes cheap. If you're interested, send me a PM. I should add, with few exceptions this kit does not cover core assemblies, such as for rebuilding a steering box or transmission.

If you'd like to see an example on a subject, please ask. Just don't ask me about rear coil springs, 4x4, rebuilding an engine, and who knows. The guide is specifically for restoring all of my truck (per signature), but much of the info. pertains to 67-72, from the ground up.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 11-09-2023 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-01-2023, 09:24 AM   #394
68bowtie

You’re speaking my language…

I am definitely interested.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 07:58 PM   #395
zicc1835

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
I finished developing a kit so to speak. It's a 69 page assembly guide, packed tightly with descriptions. That was the hard part. The easy part are over 700 images of assemblies, charts, illustrations and points of interest supporting the guide. There's also a parts document, which has a few additional items as well, trims levels, yadda yadda.

The guide doesn't ramble on like I do, I'll swear to it. I retired writing computer specs., business processes, and such; did that far too long. I more or less wrote the guide document along the same logic and such. Streamlined full details, dumbed down where I can even understand it. It's like a engineering document written for the 4th grade level

Anyway, I spent more time on this than building the truck, how sad is that I've floated this past Liz pending response, I'd like to sell copies of all of it to those interested. Board price, and that comes cheap. If you're interested, send me a PM.

If you'd like to see an example on a subject, ask. Just don't ask me about rear coil springs, 4x4, rebuilding cores, and who knows The guide is specifically for my truck, but much of the info. pertains to 67-72, from the ground up.
Tony
sent my USPS MO out this morning look forward to seeing the kit trying to finish up my second c-10 build and get to # 3 before im in my mid 70s. I am sure your kit will help when memory isn't as sharp as we like
thanks for putting this together and offering @ a very reasonable price
Jess
Old 11-08-2023, 07:28 PM   #396
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicc1835 View Post
Tony
sent my USPS MO out this morning look forward to seeing the kit trying to finish up my second c-10 build and get to # 3 before im in my mid 70s. I am sure your kit will help when memory isn't as sharp as we like
thanks for putting this together and offering @ a very reasonable price
Jess
Thank you, I just loaded a drive up for you, and will mail it out tomorrow. Anxious to hear what you think, should you get to it.

I threw in another document that doesn't belong to me, public knowledge perhaps. I just put it on a Word document, for easy access and search. That makes three documents and 711 images, please let me know if you have any issues with these.

Just discovered something interesting today, it's in the guide For 71-72 front bumper - From what I've seen available on the internet, the dealers sell park lamp assm. rubber bumpers right? No, wrong........They're of poor design, and don’t work anyway. Use part # 4081765.

I read someplace originals weren't available. Well they are, or so close it makes no difference. Perhaps 4081765 has a slightly taller head than original? Can shave to your heart's content, but I don't know why you would.
Old 11-11-2023, 10:03 PM   #397
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I hired a guy to repair my seat, install the new SMS seat covers, and install the ACC flooring and fuel tank cover. The seat covers are the original material. SMS did the sewing, and the fit is perfect.

Should have seen the upholsterer in action. 1K gets a foam cutter, I think the blade is 10" or so. An 85 year old, handy as heck fellow lives across form him, he welded a new spring where a piece had broken.

The driver's side was sunk badly. The upholster fixed that beginning with a 1" cut over say a 16" square section of the original foam's top. He glued a new 1" foam pad in place of the cut. Then he cut, cut, cut some more. Then he glued the original cut on top of that, cut, cut, cut some more to perfect. Anyway, new seat, I can finish the interior now, hallelujah. What a pleasure to finish my truck with the likes of door panels and that. But then again, can't say when my front bumper will be done ("any day now").

I messed up, we were in a hurry to install the seat to finish the job, so I forgot to take an image of the floor and fuel tank cover. That said, those went in so easily for him. He only spent two hours on it, the seat was 3.5. In a nutshell, he cut for the seat's bolts. Sliced for the fuel tank tube(s) and a pinch for one retractable belt, perhaps something for the belt buckles? His slices in the fuel tank cover allowed him to glue its bottom to the floor, folded forward, which is then covered by the floor carpet.

The ACC stuff fits nicely. They forgot the dimmer grommet. I called them, see what happens, but ordered another from elsewhere anyhow. Included an image or two with ACC's floor mats. I don't like them honestly, they look too sporty. Solid black would be an improvement. Oh yeah, this is me, the upholsterer wanted me to try the seat out, and took this.
Attached Images

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 11-11-2023 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-12-2023, 02:08 AM   #398
mr.mud1

Quote:
I hired a guy to repair my seat, install the new SMS seat covers, and install the ACC flooring and fuel tank cover. The seat covers are the original material. SMS did the sewing, and the fit is perfect.

Should have seen the upholsterer in action. 1K gets a foam cutter, I think the blade is 10" or so. An 85 year old, handy as heck fellow lives across form him, he welded a new spring where a piece had broken.

The driver's side was sunk badly. The upholster fixed that beginning with a 1" cut over say a 16" square section of the original foam's top. He glued a new 1" foam pad in place of the cut. Then he cut, cut, cut some more. Then he glued the original cut on top of that, cut, cut, cut some more to perfect. Anyway, new seat, I can finish the interior now, hallelujah. What a pleasure to finish my truck with the likes of door panels and that. But then again, can't say when my front bumper will be done ("any day now").

I messed up, we were in a hurry to install the seat to finish the job, so I forgot to take an image of the floor and fuel tank cover. That said, those went in so easily for him. He only spent two hours on it, the seat was 3.5. In a nutshell, he cut for the seat's bolts. Sliced for the fuel tank tube(s) and a pinch for one retractable belt, perhaps something for the belt buckles? His slices in the fuel tank cover allowed him to glue its bottom to the floor, folded forward, which is then covered by the floor carpet.

The ACC stuff fits nicely. They forgot the dimmer grommet. I called them, see what happens, but ordered another from elsewhere anyhow. Included an image or two with ACC's floor mats. I don't like them honestly, they look too sporty. Solid black would be an improvement. Oh yeah, this is me, the upholsterer wanted me to try the seat out, and took this.
very nice work,as usual.looking fantastic.i have heard of a few fellas' not getting the dimmer switch grommet?i suggested to one guy to call them and they straightened it right out?i used to sell ACC carpets and always had extra grommets around cause sometimes there'd be a handful in the box?personally i do like their mats.i have their dark olive green carpet in my truck with the matching mats.i always liked the mats as it was the same carpet and the prickly backing keeps them in place.looking good,all the best.Greg
Old 11-15-2023, 08:39 PM   #399
zicc1835

Quote:
Thank you, I just loaded a drive up for you, and will mail it out tomorrow. Anxious to hear what you think, should you get to it.

I threw in another document that doesn't belong to me, public knowledge perhaps. I just put it on a Word document, for easy access and search. That makes three documents and 711 images, please let me know if you have any issues with these.

Just discovered something interesting today, it's in the guide For 71-72 front bumper - From what I've seen available on the internet, the dealers sell park lamp assm. rubber bumpers right? No, wrong........They're of poor design, and don’t work anyway. Use part # 4081765.

I read someplace originals weren't available. Well they are, or so close it makes no difference. Perhaps 4081765 has a slightly taller head than original? Can shave to your heart's content, but I don't know why you would.
Tony
thumb drive arrived Monday im going to have a look tonight have been busy this first part of week anxious to see what it looks like
Thanks
Jess
Old 11-30-2023, 11:20 PM   #400
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

8.5 years to install the door panels. Only item pending is my front bumper is being re-chromed, at least I think so That and I'm looking for a door panel screw, how'd I lose that? A sport mirror screw works for the meantime, they're so close. But you know how it is, that can haunt a guy for life

I don't like the logo on the floor mats. Doesn't fit, so ordered plain black.
Attached Images