The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2019, 01:01 AM   #1
Jake Spoon

A/C in this non-A/C cab

I would like to install Vintage Air in this non-A/C cab with vents and controls that look factory. How difficult is this to do?
Attached Images

Jake Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #2
epfatboy

Re: A/C in this non-A/C cab

Buy the vintage AC kit for trucks with AC. Then buy an AC dash bezel and AC dash pad insert from LMC or whoever and it will look factory with h the exception of the vintage unit under the dash.
epfatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:41 AM   #3
44th Miss Inf

That's a clean truck Jake!

Nice ride
44th Miss Inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
67lowred

Just download the instruction from Vintage Air for the SureFit series for your truck to get a feel for what it takes to put it in. Ordered mine for my '74 a couple of weeks ago and got it within a week. Haven't installed it yet but instructions are thorough and looks straightforward. Talked to them on the phone due to a couple of modifications I have and they are very knowledgeable. Their national sales manager is a chevy truck guy, so I'm sure that has something to do with their Sure Fit series covering all the years.
67lowred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:56 PM   #5
Bloodhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by epfatboy View Post
Buy the vintage AC kit for trucks with AC. Then buy an AC dash bezel and AC dash pad insert from LMC or whoever and it will look factory with h the exception of the vintage unit under the dash.
Incidentally I learned after calling Vintage Air that the non-AC and AC kits are the same part number now. I called about it cause I got confused when ordering and noticed that. I haven't installed yet but it looks pretty straight forward.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:47 PM   #6
tucsonjwt

I was just looking at a 1973 square at the local Pull A Part and most of the factory a/c parts seem to be there. However, I think you would be better off with the Vintage Air system. As I recall, the firewall is different between the a/c and non a/c cabs.

I think the VA parts are mostly under the dash, so you would not have to hack your dash or firewall. I think you have to shorten your glove box also and they give you a kit for that. I would not attempt to go for a stock look if I were you. You already are modifying the truck to non- stock by adding a/c, so the VA system is the best choice. If they offer an electronic HVAC control rather than a mechanical control I would go with that.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #7
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by epfatboy View Post
That's exactly what I did, I'm super happy with the results. I used factory trim pieces and repop vents. The only difference between the a/c and non-a/c trucks is where you drill or reuse holes on the firewall plate. The plate itself is the same.

Fyi for factory a/c kit they tell you to modify the vent duct that goes over to the Dr side dash vent. I left the plastic piece out an just ran the hose they send over to it. It fit in the area between the dash an steering column better than the factory plastic duct. Part of that could be due to where I moved the steering column 2" further into the dash.
Attached Images

bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #8
4x4k30

many years back I took everything from a 77 k20 ac cab to and used it in my 79 k20 non a/c cab best I remember I had to cut out the square a little bit out the firewall for the evaparator core and I had to drill out the holes to move the heater hoses and used everything from the 77 so I know it can be done.]

Last edited by 4x4k30; 01-19-2019 at 12:55 PM.
4x4k30 is offline   Reply With Quote