The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
dunyet

'68 Why did you do that

I purchased a 1968 chevrolet LWB about 2 years ago. At the time I purchased it i was just planning on a few upgrades and drive it. Then..... somehow I was searching on the internet and found this forum. I was Hooked! I've been quiet, not posting much at all, just gathering info and deciding a direction to take. Of course, At the time I purchase the truck I drove it home so my Wife knew it ran, "looked good", and was drivable. Hence the title, "Why did you do that".

Here's some pics the day I purchased it.
Attached Images

dunyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
dunyet

Re: '68 Why did you do that

The wiring under the dash was severly hacked. I knew something was a little off, then the PO told me the radio didn't work without the engine running. I told him no, it should work with just the key in the "on" position....I was wrong. The truck literally had to be running for the radio to play..I wondered where or why he spliced into a hot from the alternator as that is the only wire that wasn't hot when the truck was not running. He then told me he and his father-in-law had put a homemade alarm on it. this turned out to be a toggle switch for the HEI distributor hot wire. With that being said the first thing i did was buy a new wiring harness. Hence, began the teardown....
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
dunyet

Once my Wife seen what I done to the wiring, she sat me down for a cup of coffee and explained that I had to finish the fence she had wanted in front of the house before I could play (I like to call it stress relief) with the truck. So after 6 months (fence was elaborate see pic) I was back on the truck. By this time I had done plenty of research on this site and with so many great builds and ideas I viewed it was all or nothing.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
dunyet

while tearing it down I noticed the front fenders were new, the drivers side inner fender was rusted out, the passenger side didn't even have an inner. The rockers were replaced but the cab had alot of rust issues. I forgot to mention in the earlier post. the engine (after check the block number) is a 327 and the tranny is a TH400
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
dunyet

I know how much everyone likes pictures so I'll keep them coming to catch up on progress.

Of course I worked on the truck the next couple of months by the time Sept/Aug came last year I was in over my head. I was collecting parts and trying to cut the rot out of the cab.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
dunyet

a few more rust repairs
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
gdavis

Well I see that you have done a lot. The truck will look good when you finish it. Just don't get in a hurry and do a job at a time or two at a time. Remember that the truck took 46 years to get that way. And it want get fixed over night. Gdavis
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
dunyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
Well I see that you have done a lot. The truck will look good when you finish it. Just don't get in a hurry and do a job at a time or two at a time. Remember that the truck took 46 years to get that way. And it want get fixed over night. Gdavis
thx
Old 05-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
Xeen

The more straight up and down the shock is the better so you can put it where ever it needs to be to accomplish that.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
dunyet

Here's what I ended up with on the upper shock mounts. I just tack welded in place. Anyone see a problem with the location?
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
Slammed66
Needs a Big Block

Very cool build. Your not afraid to dive in, count me in
Posted via Mobile Device
1972 K10
Slammed66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
dunyet

thanks for the comment Slammed66.

I've got a little mad money (that's what I call it when the wife doesn't know...), I was thinking about buying the Slosh Tubz or the Porterbuilt hood hinges with gas assist shocks. I bought some Inner fenders from LMC last year, but since put the dropmember in so I'm not sure the inners will work. I really want to try to the Cab finished up so I can feel an accomplishment so I don't get discouraged so I guess i'll spring for the hinges.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #13
dunyet

I went ahead and purchased the gas assist hood hinges today from Porterbuilt. Dave said i should have in about 3 weeks. I guess I'll get the front fenders and radiator support mounted back up so I'll be ready to put the hood to test fit the hinges later. I guess I'll wait a little on the inner fenders
Old 05-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #14
faribran

Dunyet, Looking good. I am rooting for ya' from the EAST side of AL.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
dunyet

Thanks. I always tell everyone I'm from LA. (Lower Alabama) I guess you could say you're from " East LA
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #16
dunyet

here's what I accomplished this weekend. I fabbed up the gas tank out of .125" SSTL. I put two baffles in it. Not sure on the fuel pump yet (in tank or external). I just have it tack welded. I didn't have the tri-gas mixture to mig the sstl.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #17
67c10rustbuket

Wow great job so far! I love it

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #18
dunyet

Thanks Dan, I've following your build although I'm not "subscribed" come to think of it.... I don't think I'm subscribed to anyone's build. As a matter of fact I've thought about using your redneck dent puller idea, where you welded a bolt the corner of the bed. I have a dent on the back of the cab that is a pain to get to from inside that is just above the bed when it's sitting on the frame, I've seen where others would cut out the inside of the cab to fix the dent, I'm just not big on causing more work than I've already caused myself!!

here's what I'm talking about, if anyone has any suggestions let me know.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #19
dunyet

worked a little today on the truck..still need a name... seems to unpersonal to call it a truck still as much time as I have spent.

finished welding the gas tank today and decided to put it back in the frame so I could weld some mounts on it. Then I got to thinking what if I mount it too high. So I put the bed on it to check for clearance.. I think I need to cut the mount under the bed to make a little more or I'll cut the tank down a little. it seems a little high.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #20
dunyet

I got a little frustrated with the bed and gas tank becuase I have some additional work to do now. So, I moved to front end. I figured i better start getting the fenders back on so when my Porterbuilt Hood hinges come in, i'll be ready to fit and weld them on. Well, the first thing I pulled out of the "parts pile" was the radiator support. I was rusted through on bottom - Both sides! so I cut it out and made some new pieces, and welded them up
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #21
dunyet

After I finished welding both the bottom repair pieces of the radiator support, I was going to mount the driver's fender. You have to check this out. The PO must have used spray foam to hold the bottom of the fender to the rusted out radiator support or thought it would be good for rust protection. I looked at the passenger side it has the same thing
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #22
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunyet View Post
Thanks Dan, I've following your build although I'm not "subscribed" come to think of it.... I don't think I'm subscribed to anyone's build. As a matter of fact I've thought about using your redneck dent puller idea, where you welded a bolt the corner of the bed. I have a dent on the back of the cab that is a pain to get to from inside that is just above the bed when it's sitting on the frame, I've seen where others would cut out the inside of the cab to fix the dent, I'm just not big on causing more work than I've already caused myself!!

here's what I'm talking about, if anyone has any suggestions let me know.
A stud welder and a slide hammer would be the best thing maybe you can borrow one from one of your friends, or you can weld steel penny nails to it and use a slide hammer. <--Improvise
I wonder if you could use the studs that you would use in the stud welder and use them like you were stick welding and just use your stick welder instead of the gun, does that sound crazy?

Last edited by Xeen; 06-04-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #23
Str8-6-68

subscribed, this build is coming along very nice. looks good
Old 06-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #24
dunyet

Thanks Guys

The wife called today and said UPS dropped off two boxes today.. couldn't wait to get home to open them. Guess what, I had two complete sets of Porterbuilt hood hinges. I emailed Dave he's going to send a UPS label to send the other set back. How often does that happen! I figured they belong to one of you, and if like me have been patiently waiting so hopefully a couple more days and you'll have yours too!
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #25
Xeen

Respect for being honest and returning the extra hinges.