The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2016, 03:23 AM   #126
JJ's Sierra Grande

Re: Serious Black

`I should have just bought it when....`how many times have we all said that.
looking good though
JJ's Sierra Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:01 AM   #127
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Serious Black

You can say that again! I've been to both LMC and Classic Parts enough times in the last two almost three years, I should have bought that hose kit, but didn't. I'm "seeing light at the end of the Proverbial Tunnel" finally.
Have a good one!
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:02 AM   #128
snipescastle2

Well, yesterday I got my windshield and back window glass installed, now to go over my electrical system and make sure it's good to go, so I can fire this puppy up!
Ben
Old 02-26-2016, 11:57 AM   #129
snipescastle2

Getting a lot of small details done, got all the lights/flashers/side marker lamps done.only exception is the reverse lights. I believe it's because I am running a 700 R4 auto trans. I built an adjustable shifter linkage rod with rod end bearings, I tried to adjust the neutral safety switch on the column, but I didn't have enough adjustment to get the reverse light to come on.
At first, I thought it was the switch, but after I verified the shifter position,and the neutral switch was in the correct position, the shifter rod was way off from keeping the switch where it needed to be.
I made my shifter rod like a " Turn buckle" right hand threads and left hand threads on the other end, so adjustments should be easy.

Today's focus is to hook up all my Emergency Brake cables/hardware, then bleed my brakes.
Hopefully, Saturday I can crank this "Turd" up!!!!!
I'm dying to hear it!!! And last but by no means least, install my power windows and finish my door panel install to complete the interior, with the exception of the stereo (still waiting for my radio bezel) I will post more later today or tomorrow.
Have a great day!
Ben
Old 03-07-2016, 02:46 AM   #130
JJ's Sierra Grande

did you have any luck cranking it up on the weekend?
JJ's Sierra Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #131
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Ben,
Wiper Motor, seatbelt and Neutral Safety Switch will be on the way today around lunch! Should be there by Thursday.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:00 PM   #132
snipescastle2

Mike,
I appreciate all the Help Mike! I'll be putting together some cut off wheels and such to mail your way.
Thanks!
Ben
Old 03-07-2016, 01:01 PM   #133
snipescastle2

well, I really haven't got around to cranking it up, basically because I ended up working both weekends, and I had to fix my step-son's car.....it's always something......maybe this Friday?
Have a good one!
Ben
Old 03-08-2016, 09:24 AM   #134
snipescastle2

well, I haven't got to fool with my truck for a while now, but I'm still moving ahead with smaller things. I bought my Mufflers and just ordered my exhaust tips so that I have them once I get my duals ran all the way out back to the bumper...check these babies out.......

I know they are from a "Chevelle" but I always liked the looks of them, and a friend had some on his '72 Cheyenne short bed back when I was in High School
(Many Moons ago ) so, Once I get the brakes bled, get the engine broke in, I can get my alignment done, then plates and enjoy this sucker!
Have a good one!
Ben
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #135
snipescastle2

Well, I got the brakes bled, finished installing my hoses, but I still have a couple of little items to do, but I plan to turn the key tomorrow sometime to finally hear the beast run!!!
While I was under the rear of the truck yesterday, I noticed my left rear tire was up against the inside if the wheel well. Turns out, my home made track bar was a little to long, forcing the rear end to the right, so I had to shorten it and tonight I'll re-center the rear end, don't want it to "Dog Track" down the road....
Made sure my temporary exhaust was secure and all of my suspension pieces were tight and all the cotter pins were in place. Filled the transmission up with fluid, now to add the antifreeze and fill the tank with the "Av-Gas" I picked up on the way home last night......
Dang, the anticipation is killing me!!!!!!

Have a good one!
Ben
Old 03-17-2016, 01:08 PM   #136
roushinator

NICE Work!!!!!
roushinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:11 PM   #137
LPoole

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipescastle2 View Post
well, I haven't got to fool with my truck for a while now, but I'm still moving ahead with smaller things. I bought my Mufflers and just ordered my exhaust tips so that I have them once I get my duals ran all the way out back to the bumper...check these babies out.......

I know they are from a "Chevelle" but I always liked the looks of them, and a friend had some on his '72 Cheyenne short bed back when I was in High School
(Many Moons ago ) so, Once I get the brakes bled, get the engine broke in, I can get my alignment done, then plates and enjoy this sucker!
Have a good one!
Ben
Those are some really nice looking exhaust tips. Mean lookin. May I ask where you got em ?
Old 03-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #138
snipescastle2

I bought them off Ebay, a company called "Newyorkrestomod"
Here's a link.....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331097997934...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ben
Old 03-17-2016, 10:26 PM   #139
LPoole

Ty much. Just saw you are from Warrensburg. My son received his Bachelor's in engineering from UCM. I lived in the KC, MO area for 22 years but am now in NC.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:19 AM   #140
snipescastle2

No problem! Yeah, my wife got her Master's Degree from UCM, and her Daughter is working on her Teaching degree now, and her brother may be going there to pursue a teaching degree in Music (what's up with all the educator's in my family?) any way's, I'm the Odd ball in the house, retired U.S.Navy First Class Petty Officer.....I'm the only one without a degree, oh well.....
I was going to attempt to start my '71 today, but my work had other plans for me. I got forced to come in on my off days for plant start up....I never had a job where I got forced to make $60 an hour before....now..... it's crazy, but I'll take it.
Guess I'll call off sick one day next week and pick up where I left off.....
Those exhaust tips are extremely nice in person, those pics don't do them justice, and you can even get them in 3" pipe size to boot!!! I was tempted to go that route, but didn't know if my exhaust guy had 3" pipe, or the dies for that matter. Figured I better stay with 2 1/2".
well, I have to get "Back to work" (yeah, right...I'm gonna give them all their worth today )
Have a good one!
Ben

Last edited by snipescastle2; 03-18-2016 at 08:20 AM. Reason: changes
Old 03-21-2016, 08:45 AM   #141
snipescastle2

Fire in the hole! That's right, I got it fired up Saturday afternoon!!! Woo Hoo!!!!
But.....The 650 Vacuum Secondary Holley I bought used is not right, I couldn't get it to idle whatsoever. But, alas, I bought a 750 Vacuum Secondary Holley from Scott Duckworth, here on the board, I know this Carb is good to go, he just pulled it off his truck a month ago.
At first, I thought it was the plug gap I was running just wasn't enough, so I opened them up to .050" and it didn't change anything. I tried advancing/retarding the timing, no real change there, (with regards to idling)it kicked the starter back because of too much advance, so I retarded the timing and pretty much had to give it half throttle just to keep it running......I thought it might be the fuel I am running....I bought 5 gallons of Av Gas, but I doubt that had much of a factor in the way it was running.
I will say that the plugs are "Black" and they were new before I started, it's as if it's getting way too much fuel, I haven't verified the float level yet, the choke was open(Electric Choke) I'm pretty well convinced it's a carb issue.
Any Way's, it's progress! I'd like to get it ironed out before Friday, but, as usual, kid's sporting events, work and what ever else arises will surely curtail my plans.
That's all for now, hope to have a better report Thursday/Friday...we'll see!
Have a good one!
Ben
Old 03-21-2016, 08:55 AM   #142
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Ben, be careful with AV-Gas... It likes to be cut with gas. Real careful with higher compression motors. I've see it burn the tip of spark plugs compleatly off. Just helping you in case you didn't know. If you were aware then press on! Lol
24 years in the military with jet fuel in my blood and this happens more than you think.
Congrats on getting it going.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #143
snipescastle2

Mike,
I knew many racers run AV gas, my uncle suggested it, I'm probably going to top off the tank with some 91 premium just to be sure. I sure would love to hear this idle correctly, I have a pretty tall Cam in it, so I know it's going to idle rough, but not this rough.....
Have a good one!
Ben
Old 03-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #144
AKC

Congrats on the fireup!
Old 03-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #145
snipescastle2

Thanks! Getting closer, just need to fine tune things a bit more!
Ben
Old 03-21-2016, 07:40 PM   #146
snipescastle2

Mike,
I have a 71' bench seat frame (the one I got from you) I powder coated it chrome, the sliders as well.I don't need it.
it's yours if you want it, I still have the wires that you insert into the covers and hog ring to the frame. Let me know when you are gonna be in the area. I have some extra parts I'd like to give you.
Ben
Old 03-21-2016, 07:51 PM   #147
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipescastle2 View Post
Mike,
I have a 71' bench seat frame (the one I got from you) I powder coated it chrome, the sliders as well.I don't need it.
it's yours if you want it, I still have the wires that you insert into the covers and hog ring to the frame. Let me know when you are gonna be in the area. I have some extra parts I'd like to give you.
Ben
Thanks Ben... I'll let you know.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:26 AM   #148
snipescastle2

Okay, I got the Carburetor issue resolved, I swapped the 650 for the 750 holley I got from Scott, what a difference!!! I'll have to go through the 650 after while. I took a brief video, I'll have to do the You tube thing in a few.
at least I'm gaining ground finally!!!
Have a good one!!!
Ben

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLyk...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-24-2016, 08:07 AM   #149
Low Elco

Success! Congrats on getting it going!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:42 PM   #150
snipescastle2

Chip,
Yeah, I took the carb I bought off and bolted on the 750 I got from Scott,man!what a difference! I think I am going on o have to unbolt my master cylinder and lengthen the pushrod shaft a tad, as my brakes aren't quite there,as in it takes a lot to stop this beast Iv'e bled them at all four corners and nothing but fluid.
I'm thinking the combination valve might be stuck also,as my brake light is on.
Taking the truck to get aligned and have the exhaust put on tomorrow.
If it weren't so damn cold out,I might have put my windows in today, might tonight,just depends.....did you see the video clip I posted? It's a few posts before this.
Thanks!
Ben