The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2007, 08:51 AM   #1
TeamRinaldi

A "what if" kinda question (sorry so wordy)

Right, so I've got my '85 C-10 which is in the process of basically becoming a 1ton. New motor, trans, gearing, all the goodies. I'm post Airforce Aviation and am planning on buying a trailer and traveling the U.S. with old blue and the family. So I've been looking at setting up the suspension and whatnot, and I got to thinking. If I'm going to beef the heck out of the suspension and go with a "holy crap" hitch, why not just go with a fifth wheel? The question is, with all the suspension work, would I need to mod the frame at all? There's got to be more than just bolting in the hitch adaptor. I know a real 1ton has a different frame. Has anyone tried this, or have I been listening to the voices to long? As always, thanks for the help.
TeamRinaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
XXL
Seņor Member

Re: A "what if" kinda question (sorry so wordy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRinaldi View Post
I know a real 1ton has a different frame.
I'm not sure this is true. I believe the '85 truck is the same frame for C-10 through c-30, with only changes in suspension components (springs, ball joints, etc.).
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

The 10 and 20 series trucks had the same frame, the 30 series is different. It's taller, and I believe it's heavier gauge too. I think you could mod the frame by boxing it and adding cross members to cure your concerns of strength to support a 5th wheel hitch.

You mention "beefing" the suspension, but nothing is said about the brakes. That would be my area of concern. You may be able to build the frame up to withstand pulling a trailer, but sooner or later you will need to stop. Brakes on a C-10 are marginal at best.

If you haven't already done all the mods to the drive-train you listed, I would consider other options. Unless you have personal ties to this truck you might be better off finding a c-20 or single wheel C-30.

Just a suggestion..

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:16 PM   #4
TeamRinaldi

Brakes are on the list too, I'm just a 'tard and didn't mention it. The front already has the 3/4 ton disks and calipers, but the rear drums just won't do. I'm with you on the "cool you can pull it, now try and stop" issue. Plus you're right; it would be easier to just buy a 1ton but yeah, she's got sentimental value as well. That and I already started, so explaining to the "boss" that I want to start over would be a hard sell. On a side note, I didn't know they made single wheel 30's. Cool.
TeamRinaldi is offline   Reply With Quote