The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #26
imholte

Re: 1st Timer 72 Slow Build

Finally got some mirrors today, had to take the inside door panel off to get the backing that the screws in, but didnt take too long. Got a rearview mirror too but am waiting for the glue to dry to put it up.

Slowly its coming along
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #27
imholte

Its been in storage since mid october, I have been anxious to get it out and start messing with it more. I got a new job that pays much more so I hope to finally spend some money on it and get the engine fixed up.

I am moving this weekend and get to drive it to our new rental house. I cant wait since the house has a 2 car garage, a much better set up than before.

Sorry for no pictures, but Im just happy that soon I will get to drive it again and work on it.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:30 AM   #28
nuke1

well well, do not hold out on us, lets get it in that garage and started working on and some pics to boot!
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #29
Crumley

[QUOTE=imholte;2391732]

I still have one vacuum hose that has no place. i cannot figure out what to do with it. I posted a picture of it, anyonw know where is goes or what to do with it.

JMO: Does the vacuum line come off that back end of the little canister with the 2 wires running to it? If it does it has something to do with the anti-dieseling system, It was plugged on my truck on the back side of the little canister (see picture). The anti-dieseling or anti-spark knock system isn't needed to run the truck it can be trashed. I had the same system on my truck and I disconnected it all the way back to the relay that is under the dash. There should be a electrically operated plunger (see picture) on the left side of the carb. that plungs into the throttle linkage it can be removed also. Boy I hope that made since.
Attached Images

Crumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #30
Crumley

Oops I forgot to include that my truck is running the stock quadrajet carb.
Crumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #31
onlyifihadachevy

Nice your truck has less rust than mine, i need the bottom of my drivers door. And you should get a new air intake for a little more shine, i want one but mud is going to cover it anyway.

72 gmc 2500 2wd drive convert

My 72 thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=346712

THe other truck, wheeler 69 1/2 4x4, yellow and rusty.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=350300
onlyifihadachevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #32
imholte

I had a 2008 Toyota Tacoma double cab...key word had. I just sold it. The $500 monthly payment was getting old. So what to do with that $500 a month? Can you guess? Oh yeah...to the pickup.

Right now she is a little rough, but will get better as time goes on and more money goes into her.

Going to get the ball joints replaced this month so it drives somewhat straight and doesnt wander too much.

I'm so excited to be driving this again and looking forward to fixing her up.

I love these trucks

Last edited by imholte; 01-04-2010 at 09:08 PM.
imholte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:04 PM   #33
imholte

New windshield is in...I can see clearly now, but the rain is still here.

I called safelite autoglass and they sent out 2 techs to take out my old cracked windshield and put in a new one with new rubber. It took them about an hour but they got it in without cracking. I might have been able to do it, but they are pros at it so I think thats better.

The final cost was $190, that included the windshield, rubber, and install. Not bad I would say since the glass is $160 in LMC.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:13 PM   #34
msgross

$190 is well worth it for all new stuff installed... My local shop charged $175 with my gasket, they wanted $75 for a gasket and I already had one...

I spent about 5 hours once trying to get a windshield in, safelite did it in 1 hour by himself!
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #35
imholte

The tech said that these old trucks sometimes can be a very tight fit and possibly end up cracking the glass, luckily they didnt break it. I think it was a good investment having them do it.

Next up is fixing the ball joints and exhaust.

Going to go with duals out the rear...I think. It needs everything new back from the horns.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #36
imholte

Things have been pretty slow on working on the pickup. Its kinda hard to get things done on it when you live in an apartment.

I have been driving it everyday now to work, I just enjoy driving it. Took it to Les Schwabs today to have the upper and lower ball joints replaced, it was drifting all over the road. They just called me and told me my front brakes are toast and i need new rotors too. All in all the total price for the ball joints and brakes is going to be upwards of $900. Ouch. Wish I was still living in my rental house, my labor costs would be slightly cheaper than having them do it.

Also ordered some random parts from LMC, armrests, fan shroud parts, and little screws and small parts that need to be replaced.

Last month I took the steering column apart and replaced the turn signal lever and switch....got rid of my turn signal demons.

It seems like every time I start saving money to get something cool on the truck like new exhaust or rebuild the engine, something expensive pops up like the steering and brakes. Uggggh I wish I had about $5000 to drop on this truck right now to get it to a respectable point in the restoration.

Last edited by imholte; 05-03-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #37
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

That is still a very nice truck, and nice work so far! As far as the exhaust goes, if you want loud you could start with some nice headers and go from there. Usually to have an exhaust shop run the pipes for you it doesn't cost much. I didn't see if you have converted to HEI yet, that will boost performance as well. Also, if you're interested in doing the engine yourself check out northern auto parts. (www.northernautoparts.com) They have a very affordable 350 master kit, along with 383 kits. You should be able to have the block machined and build a nice healthy powerplant yourself for less than $1000. I've ordered many parts from them, 3 master engine kits and a couple performance cam kits. Very nice company to deal with.

Good Luck!
propanemudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #38
imholte

Yeah I have been debating how I want my exhaust. Was thinking about replacing everything from headers all the way back, but then was thinking of just going with the stock horns and making a decent mild sound to it. Can always go louder right?

I converted to HEI right after putting in the new edelbrock carb.

Never done a engine rebuild, or the place to do it, so I will probably be having someone do it for me.

Thanks for the comments, it a fun process, but I have found you need lots of patience.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #39
imholte

Just got my pickup back from the shop and what a difference a few new ball joints make. It actually drives straight down the road. Used to be a chore to keep it in your lane, people probably thought I was a drunk on the road. It is now even better to drive now.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:42 PM   #40
Chevymaniac

It's good to hear that you got some of the problem areas fixed and it runs 100% better. Now you can enjoy it that much more when driving.

Is the color of your truck factory orange? Throw some more pics up, can never have too many of these beautiful trucks.
Chevymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #41
imholte

I was installing new heater hoses under the dash and somehow my antenna wire end which was disconnected from stereo touched the back end of the cigarette lighter. I see smoke and sparks and "what the ?&*% is going on?". Also there was some smoke emitting from up around the battery area (hood was up). Also truck has no electrical power, turn key and nothing.

Root around up by battery and locate a red wire that comes from the unfused ignition plug under dash to the junction box next to battery then leads to + battery plug.

Here is a picture, can anyone tell me what the "connector" round cyclindar object is in the picture. Need to replace this. Is it just a wire connector or a fuse? Or is there a fuse or something that would be better.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by imholte; 05-10-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #42
imholte

So I think I have discovered that it is a fuseable link, and the red wire being a 12g wire the link should be 16g. I will head to napa and see if I can pick one up.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #43
imholte

Yes it is a fuseable link. Got one and installed it back to where it belongs and she starts right up.

What I learned was that whenever using a fuseable link always use a wire 4 sizes smaller...12 gauge wire - go with 16 gauge fuseable link.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #44
imholte

Also just got my package from LMC, nothing major. Replaced the old worn out arm rests, a new turn signal lever and a new vent to replace the cracked one. Will post some pics soon.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #45
imholte

Wow I really need to put some new pictures up, its been a while since I have updated them. Not that my pickup is much different.

If the weather holds out tomorrow I will wash and start polishing the oxidized paint off the truck.

Today I scraped all the old sealant out of the roof drip rails, and added new sealant. I thought it would take alot longer but it actually went quite quickly, a phillips screwdriver worked the best.

I can see from all the layers of metal that come together there why it must take alot of work to shave the drip rails. I tried my best to get it somewhat smooth and even, but its a little hard to do with your finger. The old stuff was starting to deteriorate so I thought I would just redo it quick to keep it sealed and rust from starting. Its not permanent but will work until I have the truck painted in 5 years.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #46
imholte

LMC sent me a new set of roof marker lights to replace the old broken and cracked ones that I have on my pickup now. The socket was a little hard to get out of the rubber seat but a screwdriver worked pretty good to pry it out. A little rust starting to show under the rubber mats, hopefully it does not spread too much in the next 2 years, by then I hope to start working on the rust. Here is a picture of the truck in the dark, still have a front marker light out, the turn signal part works, but not the market.

Also thinking of replacing my stock intake, have a edelbrock carb on their now, 1406, its the 600cfm with electronic choke. Anyone know of a good intake to match this one? Right now it has the adapter plate for the carb on it, not sure how much hp or mileage I am losing from that.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #47
imholte

Every month a little more gets done.

Got my stereo installed, just a deck with 2 6x9s under the seat. I was going to cut the doors and dash to put in a components system with a sub under/behind the seat, but figured that just having music is a 10. I think spending my money on things like the engine and getting the cab sealed before winter should be my goal.

I just replaced the door seal also. I was impressed at how much sound this cancels out.

Tie rods, drag links, and window felts and seals are the next thing to tackle.

Shes not much to look at but shes mine. I get alot of comments from people wondering when I am going to buy a new rig, but I just tell them that this is my rig and she is an easy keeper. Yeah at 12mpg gas is expensive but I have no monthly payments (unless you count parts as a monthly payment)
Old 09-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #48
imholte

Took a photo of my pickup while I was out pheasant hunting.

Last edited by imholte; 09-18-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #49
imholte

Took her to Schwabs the other day to have them replace the tie rod ends and drag link ends. They said that they had recently been replaced and there is no need to change them right now. I was a little surprised to hear this cause when driving down the road it still wanders a little.

So I was expecting to spend about 500 or so on the suspension but now am planning on getting it to the exhaust shop next week. I will have to do some checking on some quotes to get the best price.

The plan for exhaust right now is duals out before the rear tires with an x-pipe and flowmasters or magnaflows. I had flowmasters before on my 97 and liked them, might go the magnaflow route to get a different sound, but you cant complain about flowmasters (im sure there area few that can).

There is an orange chevy for sale just down the road for just under 10k. Its a nice pickup and something that I can see mine looking like in 5 years. Here is the link for it. http://eugene.craigslist.org/ctd/1961217640.html

Last edited by imholte; 09-22-2010 at 03:41 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #50
Chevymaniac

If i was you i would not get a new rig either, i just love this style of truck and i' am not going to part with mine. They will have to bury me with my truck when i die. I get so excited when i' am driving it.

Just keep doing a little at a time and before you know it your truck will look as sweet as the one for sale down the road from you.
Chevymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote