The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2017, 08:17 PM   #1
jared.landis

electrical draw

I have a 2004 GMC Yukon Denali with a draw. It all started back in November. I went down to start the truck and it was dead. I thought it was the battery so I got a new one. A week later it was dead again. I thought it was the alternator, so I replaced it. The truck was dead the next day. I thought on the off chance it was a bad battery so i got a new one, again. A week later it was dead again. I jumped everyday for the next couple of weeks while I tried to figure something out. It would be fine for the rest of the day starting just fine after being jumped. After asking around I ended up taking it to the local shop. They couldn’t find the source of the draw. A week later I ended up taking it to the GM dealership thinking that they would know the truck and that they would have a wiring diagram to figure something out. After 4 days at the dealership THEY couldn’t find anything. So I was stuck. I ended up calling around to some friends and they suggested I start pulling fuses one at a time. I started with the the radio, then the amp. After speaking with a friend they suggested pulling the fuse to the ac compressor with the understanding that it is electronically controlled to shut on and off. So I pulled it. Finally I had relief. For the next 3 months I had no issues, until 2 weeks ago. It all started up again. But now it won’t last 3 hours between jumps. if it does it has a very weak start, but it will start. i have had to jump it 5-6 times a week for the past couple of weeks. I am reaching out to see if anyone has had any experience with this and might have any ideas to try.
jared.landis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:39 PM   #2
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Re: electrical draw

Way worse than mine.

I have a 05 Yukon XL and it has a drain also. My cluster pulls a draw, the radio pulls a draw. Never heard about the AC. I have also read that OnStar can pull a draw. Don't forget to check the power seat. Hopefully your BCM isn't going bad.

I replaced the radio, re-wired the amp to get rid of the radio noise. Installed a rebuilt cluster. This series of vehicles have lots of electrical gremlins.

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote