The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2017, 04:41 AM   #1
thebeerbaron

Cargo lamp bulb socket

Hi folks,

I took apart the cargo lamp on my 72 last weekend and like many things on this poor beast, it's been butchered by a previous owner.

It seems like there should be some kind of bulb-holding sleeve in here. Anyone know what is this supposed to look like?

Thanks!
Peter

thebeerbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:09 AM   #2
randy.powell

Re: Cargo lamp bulb socket

Hi Peter - looks like you're missing the "guts" for the bulb holder. Parts catalogs don't show it as a separate replaceable assembly piece so I'm thinking it must be an integral part of the base. If you have a LMC catalog it's useful for figuring these kinds of issues out. If you don't have one, get one.

I have a couple of these at home, I'll look at them tonight to confirm it is as I'm speculating.

RP
randy.powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:20 PM   #3
bigmac73

I bought a new cargo lamp from LMC years ago, comes with everything you need , the only issue are.
1 the screws rusted after about a year
2. the rubber boot/ moulding dose not quite fit the curve of the roof line, and it is rather hard, I let it set out in the sun to soften up and then installed it hot and tight and it took shape pretty good

But I still have those ugly rusted (imitation stainless screws)
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #4
thebeerbaron

Thanks gents, I knew someone had to have seen this before. I wonder if I can just buy one of the cheap generic eBay sockets for this bulb size and use it as the "guts".

The lamp itself is pretty well worn, but a new piece would not only cost a bunch but look out of place on this crusty truck...
thebeerbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:08 PM   #5
Killer Bee

if yer crafty, take a stroll through the help section of a well stocked auto parts store like napa or pep boys and pick out the closest fitting lamp holder socket and fit it to the old fixture.. rtv adhesive, jb weld, epoxy cement, etc. may work for attaching it in there without drilling holes.. low wattage incandescent or LED will help keep things cooler and hopefully last a little longer without melting everything..

good luck!
Killer Bee is offline   Reply With Quote