The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2018, 04:36 AM   #1
DavidButler

Front Axle Swap

Hi,
Needing help again please.(For a change!)
My 1952 3100 pickup I am restoring appears to have been dragged up mount Everest by a chain around the middle of the front axle. The result is a banana like shape and the inability to fit all 4 u Bolts because the two axle webs that the springs seat on are now diverging from each other.
As I see it I have two possible solutions:
1: Remove axle and take it to a metal workers with a suitable press to bend it back into shape, currently about a 2" set out of true along axle centre line, measured at axle centre. Anybody any ideas as to the kind of tonnage press I need to be looking for?
2: I have been offered to purchase a front axle complete with spindles and discs from a 1942 Chevy pickup. Can any body advise if this axle will fit my 1952 standard set up? Geographically its at the other end of the country to me so I would just send a carrier in to collect rather than measure before buying.

As usual all help would be greatly appreciated.
DavidButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:37 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Front Axle Swap

don't think the 42 will fit...bending a axle and getting caster /camber right may be hard to do...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:29 AM   #3
nvrdone

i know your across the pond, but id try to find a stock replacement some where in Europe.
Alternative would be to check out www.droppedaxles.com
nvrdone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:43 AM   #4
Matt_50

Isn't Jag ifs's popular in your part of the world? I bet you could find someone who did it that has the original lying around.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:45 PM   #5
mr48chev

Checking the Nostalgia Sid's site aka Sids dropped axles 41 to first series axles are the same. That means you are good to go there. https://www.droppedaxles.com/chevy-dropped-axles-0
King pins are the same from 41 to first series 55 Moog part number 8294B That will cross in any parts number interchange book.

The National B52 inner wheel bearing fits 46/52
The National B01 outer wheel bearing fits 46/ 57

Checking the GM herritage site this link for your 53 save the link for reference https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...olet-Truck.pdf
The spindles are the same diameter so you hubs should go right on along with your backing plates.

It might be simpler to swap spindles as you will have to use spacers with the early spindles and the Bendix backing plates. You don't need spacers with the 53 spindles obviously.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:36 PM   #6
paulspickupparts

Check locally for a heavy duty truck alignment shop. They should be able to straighten it . We use to have it done to dump trucks . Would be a lot less expensive than buying a new axle and sure your shipping is not cheap. Put in new king pins while your at it.
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:59 AM   #7
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulspickupparts View Post
Check locally for a heavy duty truck alignment shop. They should be able to straighten it .
Bending big axles is a common alignment technique. A qualified shop should be able to straighten it easily.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #8
mr48chev

Gents he said in his post, that someone had offered up a 42 axle. Checking on Sid's site shows that 41 to first series 55 axles are the same. he should be good to go. Remember that he is in the UK. Main thing may be the cost of having the axle straightened as apposed to buying the 42 axle.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:13 PM   #9
paulspickupparts

Good point . But something to ponder. Just because you buy another axle you do not know if

1. The king pin holes are perfectly straight and not egg shape worn. In that case you will have to go with an oversize kingpin and have the axle machined to accept.

2. The replacement axle is any straighter than what you have . In that case your are no farther along than when you started.

3. Almost all of the I beam axles in the 60 years plus have had a chain hooked in the wrong place and are tweaked to some degree. Even hitting that giant pothole in `1959 with that heavy load on it did something and it probably was not good.

4. Before you work on the new axle you should take it in and have it checked for alignment and see if the king pin holes checked. It will probably be at the same truck shop that could straighten yours.

Speedway and many other companies sell an aftermarket dropped axle if you do not mind getting away from stock.

Good luck . Makes it a little harder being overseas. Let everyone know how this turns out so it can help others in the same situation. Many times we never hear from the original poster on how they solved the problem . Nice to help the other guys out.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:34 PM   #10
DavidButler

Thank You all for your input and the link to the GM heritage centre.
I'm in two minds on what to do. Using the information you gave me from dropped axles, the heritage centre and a little logic the current updated situation is:
The current axle on my truck is not the original axle from the truck, it must have been changed for a bent axle with spindles and back plates shortly before I acquired the truck. Hence: Only 1 u bolt each side. Drums that do not line up with brake back plates ( see photos).
The actual front axle on my truck when measured up could be 1941-55 series 1 but because the drums don't line up and because MrChevy48 mentioned about spacers I'm not sure which spindles I have.
My preference would be to straighten the axle (it appears we have the facilities in the machine shop where I work) and to then buy a disc conversion kit from speedway for discs with 5 studs. However, If the only spindles I have are not from 1952 I may find the disc kit will be incorrect. The 1942 axle I can buy in the UK comes complete with discs but looks "very mature" and will be unseen before purchase,will cost me as much as buying a new speedway kit inc import and delivery and having the axle straightened.
I guess what I would like to know is can any body identify which spindles I have. So i can take my preferred route.
One other thing I have noticed is that the drums c/w wheel bearings, as on my truck don't seem to tighten up correctly. The big rear oil seal on the drum will fit the collar on the spindle. The bearings appear to fit the shaft diameters but it appears the shaft is too long to nip the bearings up.
Sorry this is very long but I have very rarely got straight to the point (ask my wife!)
Further input would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2018, 08:57 PM   #11
mr48chev

Those are the Huck brakes that come on 50 and earlier trucks.

The recessed area around two of the bolts may be different with the later Bendix brakes. Thinking about it I have only swapped Bendix brakes off cars onto the AD spindles and had to make spacers so I could be wrong there.

If you are wanting disk brakes just look for pieces for a 48 or 49 and you should be good.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:27 PM   #12
paulspickupparts

Ugh , someone put a three quarter ton axle and backing plates and then thru in some huck brake shoes . They then added what appears to be a half ton bendix style drum and hub from a half ton . Not sure how they were able to that as bearings are different . No offense but you have a mess . Worse than that you have mixed up mess that is missing a lot of hard to find parts. Ugh . I have a bendix axle that would work but of course logistics would kill the deal. I would place a wanted add in your area asking for a fifty one and up bendix style half ton axle . Only thing you are out of is your time. Whoever put yours together should be shot.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:20 AM   #13
DavidButler

I love this forum. Post a question last thing at night, go to bed, answers ready to read when I wake up. Thanks.

In reply to Paul:
Good job I don't own a gun then, might even have shot myself as well.
Having looked at the dropped axle site the 3/4 - 1 ton 47-54 axle has 0.921 diameter kingpins. My axle has 0.866 diameter kingpins in it, more in line with the 1/2 ton axle.
But you are correct the bearings don't want to fit properly. On the positive side I don't need to take the drums off to inspect the brake linings. Are you sure this is not an early GM brake wear indicator system?

The 42 complete axle is looking more appealing.

Cheers.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #14
mr48chev

I didn't notice what Paul caught when I looked at the photos last night. Good catch! I'd say he is right in that someone mixed and matched parts. You never know what you will find when guys piece these trucks together with what they can find.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:17 PM   #15
paulspickupparts

David, by your king pin size you may have a 1/2 ton axle (hope so) . If you get a chance see if you can find a part # on the axle . That should help in identification and tonnage and such. Maybe you can make this thing work.