The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2019, 10:52 PM   #1
SCC2560

1972 Burb Guy dropping in!

Hey there, new to the forum. Just looking for info and maybe some parts for my 1972 Chevy Suburban C20. I will post some pics as soon as I can figure out how to do that.
So here is what I am trying to accomplish. The purest are going to hate this or maybe not. I have 72 C20 that I want to convert to a K10
So far I picked up a 70 burb K10 frame and axles (6lug) but my debate is should I build the whole running gear on the new frame and swap the body or just take the hangers off and bolt them to my current c20 frame??? Has anyone done this already and maybe have some insight for me??? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well. Realistically I just want it to be a 4x4 daily driver on either 33’s or no bigger than 35’s. ( I actually like the 35s but I’m afraid the truck might be too tall to fit into my garage though so leaning a little more towards the 33’s I only have a 7 foot garage door Lol. But I’m not against cutting my garage door either tough decisions to make Haha)
SCC2560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:53 AM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: 1972 Burb Guy dropping in!

Welcome
There are lots of modified Trucks and Burbs on the site.
So you will be OK.
About the pictures.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

This was in FAQ in the top tool bar
Hope this helps
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:30 PM   #3
SCC2560

Name:  IMG_5504.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  44.9 KB

Here is a few pics of my current project...
Attached Images

SCC2560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:28 PM   #4
SCC2560

Talking Re: 1972 Burb Guy dropping in!

Name:  383 CSB.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  50.7 KB

So I'm almost done with my little 383...
I'm hoping to see somewhere around 400 hp and 400 ft lbs of torque... we will soon find out...

383 Full roller, alum head , intake, 1 pc rear main, 4 bolt main, Holley EFI w/trans and timing control. In front of a 4L80E, Should be fun.

But currently I'm having trouble with my drive line set up. Got the two piece drive line and can't stop it from vibrating. Not sure if I have the angles right. Got all new U-joints and slip yoke but still shaking around 65 mph. Now am I supposed to add up the angles from both the trans shaft and the first u joint to equal the angle of the diff??? or zero out the first shaft and get all my angle from the second? Any help on this would be awesome!!!
Old 03-14-2019, 02:51 PM   #5
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

So, welcome
A few things though. Please review the site rules that are posted globally on all the forums.

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

Though I am happy you have had a great experience already, the other member should have known better as well. I am suppose to give them an infraction as well as you, but just can't bring myself to do so

I will instead ask that you familiarize your self with the site rules and guidelines. Thank you
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:18 PM   #6
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCC2560 View Post
Attachment 1885029

But currently I'm having trouble with my drive line set up. Got the two piece drive line and can't stop it from vibrating. Not sure if I have the angles right. Got all new U-joints and slip yoke but still shaking around 65 mph. Now am I supposed to add up the angles from both the trans shaft and the first u joint to equal the angle of the diff??? or zero out the first shaft and get all my angle from the second? Any help on this would be awesome!!!
Good looking Burban you have there!
There is no easy way for me to describe how your angles need to be. There are a lot of good posts here on the forum (4x4 and suspension sections). Do a search plus there are videos out there for commercial trucks which commonly come with two piece drive shafts. Things to remember are adjusting the front angle will cause a change in the rear. Raising or lowering the engine or transmission changes the front angle. The pinion angle can be adjusted with shims under the axle pads.

This site helped me with mine.

https://spicerparts.com/calculators/...gle-calculator

In addition the condition of your carrier bearing can also add to vibration issues. The shaft is supposed to be somewhat movable in a stock setup but not loose.
Being that you have a C20 you should have a two piece rear drive shaft. (Which is good if you want to go to an aftermarket billet style carrier bearing like I did.) The slip joint in the rear shaft could be worn and causing vibration too. Depending on how many miles are on your truck's driveshaft you may want to drop it off at a drive line shop and have it checked for wear and balance. They might find it has lost a balance weight or it is out of phase. Having a known good shaft makes it easier to locate the source of the remaining vibration.

Good luck!

Here is some information I posted on my Burban and setting up the angles. Post 348 and I think the original installation of the new driveshaft is two pages earlier.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...698377&page=14
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #7
SCC2560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
So, welcome
A few things though. Please review the site rules that are posted globally on all the forums.

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

Though I am happy you have had a great experience already, the other member should have known better as well. I am suppose to give them an infraction as well as you, but just can't bring myself to do so

I will instead ask that you familiarize your self with the site rules and guidelines. Thank you

Sorry about that ... Still learning the basics.... I will read up more about it. Thanks for the warning...
Old 03-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #8
SCC2560

HO455,
Thanks for the links. they were a big help. Looks like you went through some rough stuff to get your Burb working right. I guess it's my turn now.. lol

One question though, Is your Burb lowered so the second shaft is pointing up from the carrier bearing??? Cause I'm a bit confused by tour reading....

"Transmission 3.5 degrees down
Front shaft 0 degrees
Rear shaft 2 degrees UP <----- ???
Pinon angle 2 degrees DOWN"

Mind you this two shaft thing is new to me but shouldn't the Tranny and 2 shafts be down and the pinion up??? Unless it's lowered past center... Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Again thanks for all the help...
Old 03-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #9
HO455
Post Whore

My Burban is lowered but not to the extent that the pinion is higher than the carrier bearing.
Up indicates the forward end of a shaft is higher than the aft end. The pinion yoke is considered the forward end of the pinion shaft.
Transmission 3.5 degrees down
Front shaft 0 degrees
Rear shaft 2 degrees UP <----- ???
Pinon angle 2 degrees DOWN

So my transmission yoke is lower than the harmonic balancer.
The front shaft is flat.
The rear shaft is higher in the front (so it is as you felt it should be, pointing up from the pinion).
The pinion yoke is lower than the pinion gear. Thus it is down.
I hope this helps.

"I guess it's my turn now.. lol". Hopefully your PO was more competent than mine was.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:27 PM   #10
Average Joe

Beautiful 'Burb

Im not usually a fan of black but that looks awesome! Oh, welcome to the site!

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote