The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2017, 03:41 AM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Washington State members...have you been here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwxGIqlcbCw

Guy explores modern day Mt. Saint Helens area......
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:37 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Washington State members...have you been here?

And while we have the Washingtonians' attention, just the other night I was fixin' up some salmon for supper and was thinking I should ask you all for some good ways to cook that up. Back to Mt. St. Helens

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:14 PM   #3
Livrat
Member #1049

I've been there several times, The day after it erupted a buddy and I taped over the ID numbers on his airplane, took off from a private airfield and proceeded to fly down to the mountain and into the crater, yup, kinda stupid. then later on when the roads were opened back up we took a road trip back down.
Tim, I cannot help with any salmon recipes as I do not like nor eat them. But if interested my wife may be able to help as she absolutely loves them.
Attached Images

Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:49 PM   #4
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livrat View Post
I've been there several times, The day after it erupted a buddy and I taped over the ID numbers on his airplane, took off from a private airfield and proceeded to fly down to the mountain and into the crater, yup, kinda stupid. then later on when the roads were opened back up we took a road trip back down.
Tim, I cannot help with any salmon recipes as I do not like nor eat them. But if interested my wife may be able to help as she absolutely loves them.
Wow, that is a neat story, I am glad you did that.

I think I remember the original (1980) news story even though I was only 6 at the time.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:44 PM   #5
AJBert

The wife and I went back in '98 and the place was barren. The lake was crystal clear because it was so acidic, along with all the surrounding area in the blast zone. Would love to go back some day.
AJBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:17 PM   #6
Deej-79

I've been there but it was yeeeeeears ago. I still remember the burned up car on the side of the road. My grandparents lived in packwood and we had to drive along the area to get to their house. It was amazing to see how little it changed over the years.
Deej-79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:29 PM   #7
78chevstepside

I went camping at spirit lake in the summer of 1979. Where the old man was that wouldn't leave . I lived in southwest washington most of my life . Sunday morning in May 1980 I was in vancouver , washington when it erupted . I was a apprentice boilermaker working in portland at the time building a tank . My job that monday was cleaning up all the ash . Most of the ash went over the cascades into cental land eastern Washington.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:19 AM   #8
'63GENIII

We visited family in Winlock in '83. My cousin took us up to Spirit Lake and on a bunch of old logging roads. I recall ALOT of mud and remember thinking that there would never be a lake there again. I do remember the burnt out car and the red truck as well. Its good to see plant life coming back.

I do remember not really being able to take it all in. It was pretty overwhelming at 13 y.o. That was near 35 years ago for me. Time flies.

I think I still have a baby food jar full of that "ash" which is more like a coarse grey sand, heavy as lead and will turn on you in a split second when water is added.

Tim, for the Salmon... Garlic, lemon, pepper are always good.

My Wife will sometimes make a butter - pesto spread, put it on the salmon, wrap with foil and either bake it or throw it on the Q. Delicious.

My favorite is a little Terriyaki sauce in the foil wrap. Da Bomb!

Now Im hungry. Thanks Tim

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:27 AM   #9
Deej-79

One of my dad's army buddies was in yakima when the eruption happened. They were evacuated to the west side too late. He said they'd drive down the road with the passenger hanging his arm out the window touching the guard rail giving left and right directions. He lost count of how many times they had to stop and knock ash out of the air filters so the trucks would keep running.
Deej-79 is offline   Reply With Quote