The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
Jered1987

Classic vehicles resto work

Hey everyone I'm thinking about moving back to where I'm from
I've got a little bit of a shop set up. My father logged for 30+years and I'm thinking about buying the dozer he has off of him and logging , having him train me with his experience as I go, and sell firewood on the side.
I'll have some garage space and I have my compressor and enough tools I'm thinking about doing some classic vehicle bodywork on the side for people that can't do it themselves like restoring truck cabs, k5 body's, doing quarter panels , floors, classic semi cabs, etc . Any thoughts or advice?
Jered1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:07 PM   #2
Advanced Design

Re: Classic vehicles resto work

Jered, lots of variables to consider...

Do you know logging? Do you like it? Can you make a living doing it? Before buying equipment, be sure to know the answer to the first three questions.

The vehicle restoration side has lots to consider too. I've had friends that are very talented not make a good enough living doing what you describe, so they went back to full time jobs. How are your body skills? Business, selling and money collecting skills? What do you do if a customer doesn't pay? How much vehicle storage do you have? A friend in AL has made a good living doing higher end vehicle restoration. When one of his typically well heeled customers falls behind on paying, the vehicle rolls into one of his storage units and a monthly storage charge begins accumulating.

Good luck with your decision!
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:53 PM   #3
Jered1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Jered, lots of variables to consider...

Do you know logging? Do you like it? Can you make a living doing it? Before buying equipment, be sure to know the answer to the first three questions.

The vehicle restoration side has lots to consider too. I've had friends that are very talented not make a good enough living doing what you describe, so they went back to full time jobs. How are your body skills? Business, selling and money collecting skills? What do you do if a customer doesn't pay? How much vehicle storage do you have? A friend in AL has made a good living doing higher end vehicle restoration. When one of his typically well heeled customers falls behind on paying, the vehicle rolls into one of his storage units and a monthly storage charge begins accumulating.

Good luck with your decision!
As far as logging dad is 60 he doesn't have the energy he used to and we talked about it and he was thrilled about teaching me. When jobs start taking off then I'm going to start paying on the dozer. As of now it just sits because it's too much for him to try to do both running the dozer and sawing trees with his age. As far as the car thing I love working on old things and I want to do a good job so it will be kind of hobby / $$$ I just don't want to do a half a&$ job on people's pride and joy. But as far as liking logging my dad took me with him all the time when I was little I still remember dads timberjack skidder and the screaming Detroit diesel. A huge part is the independence being able to be outside in the fresh air and the woods. Just some scattered thoughts
Old 11-22-2017, 11:57 PM   #4
flashed

Where will you be logging at ?
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:22 AM   #5
Jered1987

My wife and I are probably going back to upstate New York.