The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #76
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Re: HG's thread of miscelaneous stuff

I've been from below New Orleans to Minneapolis/St, Paul on a towboat, I had heard that it was a lot smaller from there on up, but calling that a river is a little overkill, or wishful thinking, I too would like to follow it to the head.

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #77
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

yes, it is. And I have jumped across it years ago
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #78
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

They say the only things guaranteed in life is death and taxes. One of my first stops today profits from the first part. Thats a lot of vaults...

A bit later I stopped to eat and this was parked in front of me. It was the second Donk car I had seen today so I figured it needed to represent on my thread.

It's always nice to come across the speed traps before you get on the freeway...

This afternoon I looked up and noticed this formation of airplanes flying by. I barely got this shot. I couldn't get them framed in my viewer until they were almost out of site. And it's a good thing I had my better camera with me to zoom in. WWII planes I believe, but I'm no expert.

So I left the cities, heading west on Hwy 12 cuz I got another stop in Delano, and saw this along the highway. It was worth a look, but not worth the asking price of $16.5k. Yikes!

The tires needed a bit of weight to get them balanced. The next move was to strap on dive weights...

The top was kind of a mess, the hatch was wrapped up in the back seat. No special options. 20 year old wheels. Not the best body and paint, but asking a premium price. Good luck to them. If I get mine all together the way I want it should be worth $20k or more based on this one.

But parked behind it in the lot was this Cougar, and I love me some Cougars.

The vinyl top was scraped off and showing the rust. In this pic you can see the holes even with the flash on...

Without the flash you can see it a little better. Poor car, needs some TLC.

Gotta love the tire on the front. This was probably the spare from many years ago (not original of course). Can't recall ever seeing one like it on the road lately. Looks like a NASCAR tire.

I love the front on these cars. Total and complete coolness...

One last vehicle for the day. This is in Winthrop and looked to be in great shape. Cool grill, would look awesome chromed out.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 09-04-2013 at 09:22 PM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #79
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Cool thread.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #80
meatwagon83

i love this thread! the planes look to be (douglas?) hellcats, and that looks more like the mississippi stream!
Old 09-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #81
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
Cool thread.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon83 View Post
i love this thread! the planes look to be (douglas?) hellcats, and that looks more like the mississippi stream!
Thanks! I like it too.

Part of todays haul. I had to go to Dawson, MN early this morning. You know how towns somehow get associated with certain things, like corn, or fish or whatever. This place got stuck with gnomes. Must of had to pick last...

But when life gives you lemons...build a park around them?

On the way home I took a slightly different route and stopped in at Lunds Auto Salvage in Franklin. Never been there before, so I wanted to see what kind of stuff they had. He has 1 1972 C-20 he is selling complete for $1000. It's a little rough, sorry no pics. Probably the best thing about it is it has AC and a dual battery set up. But on the way out a couple trucks in the trees along the driveway caught my eye.

An IH COE...

And an old Ford F3...

Couple more pics, just trying to be artsy.

The next place I stopped at was an auto shop in Fairfax where an AMC Javelin was parked out front (pic later). I drove around back first and thought this 1950 Panel truck was pretty sweet...

Old 09-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #82
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Now the rest of the story. So I saw this javelin...

Which caused me to stop and look more, and saw the panel truck, but then I saw a big pile of bikes at the corner of the shop. So I go look cuz I need a few parts for a bike I'm building. I didn't see what I need there but go in to ask the owner if they had more parts. The owner, Ken, said the bike stuff belongs to a woman that works on them part time. The stuff outside was bikes that she had parted out and is the scrap pile. Then he showed me the stuff inside, which was about another 50 or more bikes and misc parts.

Here is a harley davidson bike she is restoring, she actually has a couple of them...

This one is a Firestone Pilot...

This one is very similar to what I'm building, a schwinn hollywood...

I tell him I'm looking for a banana seat and sissy bar, they had a few and only $10. Great! How about some ape hanger handle bars like the ones on that hollywood bike. Yep, but just one and she needs $20 for them. Again, no problem. I wanted to find a good rear fender and he offered me a nearly complete schwinn stingray for free and I almost blubbered, but I needed to go get some cash to pay for the handle bars. So I go across the street to get lunch and cash, and he followed me over to get something to drink, but he called the woman who owns the bikes and it turns out she sold that stingray to a guy on wednesday and she is restoring it for him. Crap. Oh well. Can't win them all. But I was happy to find some of the things I needed and have a source for other stuff down the road.

Here is mine with the new parts on it. Yes, I know it's a girls bike. But its a schwinn Bantam and they used the same frame for boys or girls bikes, but had a bolt on cross bar for the boy bikes, which is another part I'm looking for. Once I have all the pieces I'll be repainting it to match my Jimmy.

So, back to the shop. They do car restorations. The Javelin is either a future restoration, or could be bought as is for $1500. It's a complete car, just has pieces off it in the shop. Needs body work of course. But this is the first vehicle I saw when I walked in...

They were also working on a 440 Dodge Coronet, and a big old caddy convertible, but check this out. Another Cougar, an XR-7...

I goofed off here long enough, need to get home. I get his card and hit the road. And figured this old square body tow truck was worth a pic. This one is here in Sleepy Eye.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #83
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Just a short update tonight. I had to work in Austin today and I only took one picture. Just as I got off the freeway I saw a police car with the lights flashing on the street in front of me. I could see a dead animal on the street in front of him and thought, "that's an odd place to hit a deer". As I got closer I realized what it was though (not for the easily squeamish)...

I cropped it down. Looks like it was a prize winner. Has a nice ribbon. Too bad he was going to the spam plant.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #84
Bomp

Road Hog.
Sorry couldn't resist.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #85
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Took my oldest girl to lunch today since I was in St Paul. This sight wasn't too surprising anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #86
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

A little art mural along University Ave.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #87
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Another pic from University Ave in St Paul.

Yes, custom cat furniture.

This thing has been sitting for sale along hwy 169 by Jordan for almost a year. I finally stopped to take a closer look. It's pretty rough, but would make a cool project. Lots of rust though.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:18 AM   #88
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Very nice collection of interesting photos ..thx for stopping and taking the time to take them and then share them with us.. what does the sign in the window of the panel above tell us..? the amount they want for the truck..
Old 09-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #89
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Very nice collection of interesting photos ..thx for stopping and taking the time to take them and then share them with us.. what does the sign in the window of the panel above tell us..? the amount they want for the truck..
Thanks. I think they were asking $2200.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #90
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

One day last week, one of my stops for work was actually one of my favorite junkyards. Once I had the work portion done of my visit, I wandered the yard a bit. This is at Misgens Aut Salvage in New Richland and they usually keep some older cars in their u-pull-it area.

Old iron...

Cool COE...

T-birds...

56 Chevy...

Nice cow catcher on this GMC...

Purple interior on this GMC and I believe it came this way from the factory. The SPID has a special paint code on it and the purple is under all the interior parts, on the floor, behind the gas tank, etc.

67 C-30 dually...

A nearly complete Studebaker pick up...

Early UPS truck?

Not the most comfy seat to spend your day in. Bet the ride was smooth as a demolition site...

These two were in the pile waiting in line to be crushed

Right after I left to hit the road for my next destination I was going by a lake with a boat landing and this was in the lot. Gotta love when people actually use the trucks they love as they were intended. Well ok, maybe they weren't exactly designed for towing a boat specifically, but pulling a load, hell yeah. Back in the day people used their car to pull the boat.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 09-22-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #91
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Thursday was just one of those days where the odd signs and a juvenile sense of humor aligned...

Always thought it was poker in the rear...

One for the ladies...
Old 09-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #92
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Again on thursday I went through a short stretch of Hwy 218 just south of Austin and several things were worth stopping to check out. First was this cushman scooter. I think they were asking $1500.

The same place also had this old Lincoln. Always liked the style of these and love the suicide doors. They were asking $2000 and it doesn't run...

Then a couple miles down the road a body shop had this GMC for sale...

Later in the day and I was about 30 minutes from home and my youngest calls me in a panic because she got on the bus for an away volleyball game without her shoes and pads. So after driving about 300 miles for the day, I stopped long enough to pick that up and haul it to her. Good thing it was only another 15 miles up the road. Anyway, in Morton is this chevy. I've seen it around before. I kinda dig the odd 2 tone with the off white.

Last pic of the day. Had my Jimmy out for a ride and saw this GMC at the body shop where I hang out. It was for sale a year or two ago and it is a really nice truck. They guy got a steal at $2500.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:29 AM   #93
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

He did get a steal on "OLD BLUE", Can't remember seeing a hood ornament like that either. Nice work HG

Buddy of mine had one of those Continentals, black, I drove it more than he did. And Cushmans and Vespas were everywhere when I was a kid. I guess the first mechanics I ever did was on a Vespa or lawnmower

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.

Last edited by TennesseeZ; 09-22-2013 at 01:50 AM.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #94
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ View Post
He did get a steal on "OLD BLUE", Can't remember seeing a hood ornament like that either. Nice work HG

Buddy of mine had one of those Continentals, black, I drove it more than he did. And Cushmans and Vespas were everywhere when I was a kid. I guess the first mechanics I ever did was on a Vespa or lawnmower
I just noticed that both of those last 2 trucks had hood ornaments. I know they were not factory items.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #95

The hood ornaments were oe factory items on 1978-79 gm top line trucks. Not on the 70's truck. Still I nice hood ornament. Thanks for the photos.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #96
toms68cst

I love this thread HG. You have a great eye for photography. You gotta love the upper Midwest for old cars, trucks and machinery.

Do you ever get into North Dakota?

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #97
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 463 View Post
The hood ornaments were oe factory items on 1978-79 gm top line trucks. Not on the 70's truck. Still I nice hood ornament. Thanks for the photos.
Welcome. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms68cst View Post
I love this thread HG. You have a great eye for photography. You gotta love the upper Midwest for old cars, trucks and machinery.

Do you ever get into North Dakota?
Thanks! Many of the pics are just taken with my blackberry, and all I do for editing is usually just cropping the pics. I don't get into ND much anymore. 20 year ago my work territory was the red river valley from south of Fargo north to the canadian border. So I know the east side pretty well. When we lived up that way and visited the in-laws in Idaho, we drove through on I-94 all the time. Always have to stop and look at the Roosevelt park.

Looks like I hit my monthly gigabyte limit with photobucket.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #98

They look like this https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...XLBm61X4j_jWuo
http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...lTiKHDdF5A.jpg
and the cost was in or around the $125
Old 09-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #99
Ta2Don

Awesome Thread!

Thanx for taking the time to do this!!!

Oh Yeah! Keep it up, love seeing the pics of Old Iron!!!
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #100
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

A couple weeks ago I made the same exact road that I did today and before I left this morning I debated bringing the camera along and didn't. So todays pics are with my low res blackberry.

My first stop was 140 miles away in Garner, IA. Last time I drove past this cool t-bird parked in someones front yard. I didn't take a pic then, but since it was still there today I did. Really in great shape. Baby blue with what looked like a turquoise interior.

Then I went to Mason City briefly, and back on the road towards home. I had a couple places in Albert Lea I had to check on though. I parked next to this old Ford at my 1st stop there. I think the owner was in the cafe next to my stop.

I liked the effort that went into this VFW building front. My dad was a member. I don't know if my time served during the first gulf war qualifies me because I was no where near the middle east. Just poking holes through the water on the sub. In any case, here's a salute to you guys that did go into harms way.

Other than the drive home, my work was done for the day and my favorite junkyard is along the way, and my tool bag was in the back seat, so that's where I headed. I get off I-35 in Ellendale and my wandering eye barely spotted this but it was enough of a glance to get me to drive around the block for a closer look.

One more pic from the junkyard. This, my friends, is what you call a grill. That should be grafted onto a beetle or something. (not)