The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #101
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's thread of miscelaneous stuff

Today I had to go to Hastings. It's a river town on the Mississippi SE of St Paul. I think I posted some pics earlier from down by the river. Before I get to far ahead of myself, I had this somewhat rare site shortly after I hit the road. A sun dog, in September. The little rainbow spot to the left of the sun.

Usually only see these in extreme cold on very clear winter days when there are ice crystals in the air. This one is just from having a perfect angle with the clouds that are thin enough for the sun to shine through. Well at least that's MY theory.

Anyway, on to Hastings. My 1st stop was at the ConAgra flour mill there. This is actually a pretty historic place. I've driven by it and over the little river bridge next to it for years but this was my 1st work there. The mill was built around 1856, 2 years before MN was a state. It's on the banks of the Vermillion River and adjacent to a waterfall. If I can remember correctly, one of the early mill owners was a guy named Graham, who invented graham flour which is used to make graham crackers. Also started durham flour here which is now used primarily for pasta. This is the 4th largest flour mill in north America.

The south side of the river here is a park. After my work was done I crossed over to the park to look around. It was worth the time and then some.

The boiler room is at the upper right under the little smoke stack.

From what they told me there is still a brass water wheel under there that could be put back into operation. I didn't get to see it though. I wanted to get down to the river bottom though so I started walking the trail until I found one that went down there. The trail itself was a beautiful walk, but a bit treacherous in places.

Part of the trail believe it or not.

A little rapids downstream of the falls.

Canyon wall

This rock on the river bank looked like it was either a fossilized pile of guano or maybe alien foot prints (you know they have always been with us )

Gotta love watching the fall colors come in. These bushes are always the 1st to make the change around here.

My break was over, time to get back on the road. Heading out of Hastings to St Paul, crossing the new bridge. I don't know if the old one is being kept or torn down so another new one can go in its place.

Hours later I get back home and do a few chores, but the weather is beautiful and the forecast after Wednesday is not, so I'm thinking the Jimmy needs as much road time as possible. I feel like a rockstar driving that thing around.

So I go cruising. It's harvest season and the grain trucks are everywhere. Basically if the farmers can get any grain truck running, they will use it at this time of year. I past an OLD IH grain truck a few miles before I got home from work. But not as old as this one that was rolling through town while I was out cruising.

It was worth chasing down for a pic. And not that difficult with a top speed somewhere around 40-45 mph.

Heading NW tomorrow and over to Winona the day after that. Wonder what I'll see?
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #102
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Don't know what your going to see but I'm waiting to find out...keep it up, I luv this thread!!!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #103
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Don't know what your going to see but I'm waiting to find out...keep it up, I luv this thread!!!
You're gonna love this then. It started slow but I hit the jackpot later in the day.

Driving north, going through Paynesville like I have a hundred times before. At the NW corner of town, just as you are leaving it really, is this salvage yard looking place that has always been packed full of rusting iron. It's always got the gates closed and I never see anyone around. Over the past couple years it looked like the place was getting cleaned out. Smaller piles, fewer old vehicles, etc. As I rolled past this morning I saw this for sale just inside the gates and planned to stop on my way home later.

Really nothing else through the day was worth noting. Just miles of tar and corn and soybeans, with a lake or tree grove occasionally going by. I almost forgot about the little white car until I was driving by again. I pulled over and got my camera out. Took a couple pics through the fence (seen above) and noticed some activity back in the yard. This old guy (Bert) saw me checking out the car so he walked out to the gate and let me in. The car wasn't his, it belonged to Mike who has a body shop back behind Berts salvage yard. So Bert calls Mike and tells him a guy is checking out his car and Mike rolls out on his bicycle and we talk about it.

It's a 1963 Triumph Harold. His dad bought it as a repairable back in 1966. It had minor damage front and rear, but he drove it as is for a few years then parked it. It stayed parked until the 1980's sometime when Mike got interested in it as a fun ride for his wife at the time. So he got it fixed up, repainted, drove it a bit but not really much, so it got parked again until about 1996. At that time he got it going for his daughter to drive. But she didn't really like it cuz it was gutless. She said it wouldn't even go more than about 45 mph. So it was parked again but remained as her car. She got married, moved to Colorado, then got divorced and needs some money so she tells dad to sell the car. Asking $3500 for it. It runs and drives, is solid with just a few edges of rust starting to show. It needs brake and clutch lines bled, a tune up, etc. Original interior and the car only has about 68k miles. If I got it I'd probably replace the driveline with something newer and stronger and make it a project, but I gots no money to play with right now.

While I'm chatting with Mike I show him pics on my phone of my trucks and his eyes light up and he says "You gotta come look at this project that just came into my shop last night." So we do.

Fabricated dash...

It's a long bed and the center section is designed to drop down in the back and slide out as a ramp to load bikes on it.

The story is that the guy has a chopper shop, but has hired out the truck to get built and it's been to more than a couple different shops and nothing has ever really been finished. So Mikes job is to finish it. It needs a lot of work. The driver fender is smashed up, it doesn't run right (vortec 350? I looked it over and noticed missing vacuum lines, and a few other problems) Having trouble with the air bag system, etc. etc. You can tell there was a lot of time and money stuck into it, and it should be pretty sweet if he can fix everything and make the owner happy.

The other car in his shop was a 66 Mustang fastback. It's Mikes first car. His dad bought it as a repairable and Mike fixed it up in highschool and drove it then. Back in 1974. He figures it's been parked since about 1978. He didn't really have a strong attachment to it but held onto it anyway. Now another daughter wants it and has begun stripping it and so they are fixing it up for her.

I've wasted enough of Mikes time so I go back to Berts place for a few more pics. I got his card and may end up doing some business with him down the road. More old iron...

A rat rod before rat rods were cool.

A Cockshutt...

This thing was just cool as hell. It's probably only 6 feet long and if I could think of a reason to have it I would.

The one rig that caught my eye, and is sticking in the bad spot in my brain that gets me into trouble was this one...

Love at first sight. A Benz diesel COE! How freakin cool is THAT! Bert had a friend up north that used this as a gas tanker for many years, but parked it a while back and wanted to get rid of it. Bert said "I'll take it." So he drove it back from Grand Rapids, MN last year. He disconnected the fuel and battery but said it ran and drove just fine. It actually was pretty comfortable. Exactly what I DON'T need. I didn't ask how much, cuz again, I gots no money to play with right now. Besides the fact that I have a 72 C-30 extended wheelbase flatbed in Idaho I need to bring back here some day soon to build as a car hauler. It's a damn good thing I live in town with no extra space or I'd be building up my own salvage yard.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 10-01-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #104
Ol Blue K20

Yep you're right, I like it. I'm glad you're so far away because I see yard art in that yard (I would want it all). I would get myself in trouble....

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 10-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #105
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Don't have much to add today, but I have one shot worth posting from yesterday in Winona. I was at a flour mill and during the tour he showed me a 900 HP motor that used to run 2 line shafts that turn rollers on the levels above. This was one of the old style motors you never see anymore. It is about 12' diameter. It was supposed to be removed by a scrap metal company but they just took the copper and brass and left the rest. The mill was not pleased.

I do have one location up north I go to that still uses a much smaller version of this motor to operate an air compressor that is the same vintage and still rolling strong. And I know where a couple others are at also. In fact I think you can see 1 in the pics I posted the other day from Hastings at the waterfall.

These old mills are incredible. This one still uses the line shafts (4 now) to turn the rollers used to grind the wheat into flour. Most of the rollers they have were built in the late 1800's and still have the original wood cabinetry on top of them where the grain drops down into the rollers. I should have taken a few more pics but some companies get a bit upset about that.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #106
Ol Blue K20

There's an old gold mine by my cabin and it still has the motor that drove the leather belts and it's only 4 foot in diameter. I used to think it was big...

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 10-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #107
toms68cst

I remember those "jitterbugs" growing up in Maine. They were a pretty common sight peering out of the back woods in someone's back yard. Often made from model T or A cowl and a truck frame. I'm guessing a lot of them were made during the war when iron was at a premium.

http://s108.photobucket.com/user/hgs...7693f.jpg.html

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #108
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms68cst View Post
I remember those "jitterbugs" growing up in Maine. They were a pretty common sight peering out of the back woods in someone's back yard. Often made from model T or A cowl and a truck frame. I'm guessing a lot of them were made during the war when iron was at a premium.

My dad had an ol bug as he called it..it was 35 Chevy Truck with a shortened frame no cab ,,just the seat and dash ,hood and radiator..
I used to drive it (steer it) in granny gear while he run the slip behind ..he said to me never hit the gas ,,I didn't listen and got my butt whopped for doing so as it flip him and the slip over .
We also dug a well with it by putting cable drum in place of the rear wheel..used neutral to drop the well digger and one of the gears to pull it up to clean out the mud..
Old 10-14-2013, 11:06 PM   #109
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I have dozens of pics to post up spanning the past several days. They will not be posted chronologically, but by ease of me to upload and tell the story.

This morning we had an incredible predawn light...

It was especially nice considering it has been grey, cold and wet ever since then. Today I had to go easterly and drove through Henderson, which is a pretty and small town on the MN River. Couple of signs caught my eye...

I continue my journey and drive by this partially collapsed quonset hut style machine shed. Been by it a dozen times or more in the past, but this time was different. This time I spotted a chevy tailgate poking out of the trees near by. You can see it on the far left in this pic...

I turn around and go back. The farmer was just coming out of his house as I pulled up so we talked for a minute. He said the truck was actually an IH and he bought the bed off a fairly new chevy truck at the time and put it on his IH. He said he just wants the money back out of it that he paid for the bed which was $600. The floor is gone but it's not rusted. I have his permission to look around. So I do.

The front plate was 1966 and it's possible it's been sitting here that long based on how the tree has grown AROUND the front of the truck.

This is the car you probably spotted from the earlier pic. Looks like an early 60's Bel Air. The tree is snapped off right at the top of the pic, and it's resting on the car, but I don't think it actually caused any damage. Not that it matters, the rust bug has taken it's toll on this old warrior.

More to come. Wonder what's inside that crushed shed?
Old 10-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #110
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Well what would you expect to find in a machine shed on a farm? Tractors!

Lots and lots of tractors...

Really old tractors...

And Trucks! Big ass-trucks...

And bikes! Lots of old rusty bikes. (Okay, so maybe those aren't expected if your from the city, but if you're from the country they are kinda expected)

What's back behind this shed?

More TRACTORS!

But not just that. This guy likes his chevys too. I believe its a 47 Chevy Fleetline...

Been sitting here awhile...

Another pair of 41 fords sitting ass end to ass end...

Here's a squashed bug.

I'm about half way through the pics from this farm. Got a couple from the work site, got some more from the drive home, got a bunch from last week. There's a couple real cool ones in that bunch too. I don't know if I'll get through them all tonight but just enjoy them as they come. Finding them brightens my day and sharing them makes it better yet.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 10-15-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #111
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

That barn looks like a goldmine

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #112
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms68cst View Post

Not that its any big deal I think they are called doddle bugs.

The two pair rear to rear are 41 Fords and the old Chevy is a 47. Id love to have that visor off that 41.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:37 AM   #113
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quonset #2. More tractors! Fords...

Or what this was supposed to be...

But I know what this is...

And this...

And here's a John Deere mini dozer...

And oh yeah, how about yet another 41 Ford...

Then we'll take another look at whats outside.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:48 AM   #114
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Outside shed #2 was another Ford tractor.

But what caught my eye and has been stuck in my head ever since I saw it was this beauty...

Recognize it?

It's a freakin Unimog! With a plow and backhoe! Cripes I want it.

Portal axles!

Look at all the levers!

That my friends is a MAN'S toy. Having drooled enough over the farmers stash of old iron I had to hit the road. Still got a job to do. Gotta keep the lights on and the family fed. Still waaaaay more to come though. My day was far from over.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:51 AM   #115
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

You don't want that Unimog, it's got a flat tire.

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #116
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ View Post
You don't want that Unimog, it's got a flat tire.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Lets see if I can finish up yesterdays pics at least. So I make it to the mill that I'm doing the boiler inspection on. The boiler is nothing special, but one of their decommissioned ones is pretty neat, just by virtue of its age. 1902 Bros horizontal return tube boiler. I have the unfortunate circumstance of inspecting a couple of these beauties. I say unfortunate because they are still relied on after 100+ years, don't meet current codes (grandfathered in) and we insure them, so there is an elevated risk. One of them I inspect is hand stoked with wood scrap from the hardwood milling plant where its used. But it is amazing how some of this old technology has been able to survive and function as it was intended for so long. BTW, this one was operating until 2007 when the new boiler was installed.

This mill is a bit newer than the last couple I was at. They have 2 line shafts in operation. The steel beams used to build this place were all riveted construction and most of the major supports for the line shaft and through the mill are wood reinforced by steel plates. The I-beams were basically flat plate with 4 angle irons riveted to them for the length. Just think about that. Every foot of length had about 10 rivets just to form it and then more rivets if anything was attached to it and there is probably 1000s of feet in this building. Insane.

Remember the old 900 HP motor from the last mill? This one just has a 350 and 400 HP pair of motors, so they are only about 6' diameter. What makes these stand out a bit over the previous 1 is that they ARE STILL BEING USED! Holy %&^#.

Not much on the agenda for the day so it's time to make the 80 mile drive home. But a few miles south I come across a mud truck that is worth a closer look.

There is no transfer case. They made a homebuilt contraption that drives the coupled driveshafts directly from the tranny output using chain and sprockets. Looks legit.

Rear pinion brake set up.

Front hydro steer...

It was actually a pretty well sorted out machine. Kept very simple and easy to work on. Asking $3000. Time to hit the road again and I spotted a couple old trucks behind some buildings along highway 99 in Le Center. I got nothing else to do so lets waste more time...

Dodge dumper

IH hauler

My favorite out of this bunch, GMC hauler. Love the front view of this rig. Would make an awesome cab for a car hauler project.

Love the step plates they used for it. That's style right there.

And as I was pulling out I saw a couple more in the trees behind a pile of scrap. A pair of Dodges. The one on the left has the front clip sitting on the rear frame...

Lets get going. This next 1 I actually saw last week, but didn't get pics until yesterday. It's a 20 footer. The paint job is not so good nor is the bodywork in a few places, but its a good cruiser. I think its a 57 Belvedere, but not certain.

Kind of intimidating...

Still got another 30 miles or so to go. Lets stop at the Hot Rod Garage in Courtland. His doors were open so I stop for a chat. Basically all the cars are for sale but he doesn't advertise them. It's his personal hobby spot, he's not a dealer or anything. He just set himself up with the ultimate garage for his retirement.

His sound system. Comprised of a phonograph, an 8 track player, cassette player, AM/FM, and satellite radio (he got a lifetime subscription years ago when he drove truck and its really paying off) We were listening to some country album that he got from a huge pile of records he scored at the swap meet the day before for $40.

What's he got? Just a couple 55 chevys, a 33 Studebaker, a coupe and some old red pick up. You know, various old beaters...

I think this is my favorite...

The coffin on the trailer he also scored at the swap meet in Spencer, IA for $300. That's with the trailer. I was thinking of going to that 1 for something different, but stayed home. My loss.

Just 1 more to finish the day. I actually spotted this while taking a drive in my C-10 with the wife on Sunday. It's close to New Ulm and along my way home. It was worth another drive by for a pic. 68 C-30 dumper...

Still have a bunch of pics from last week to get uploaded, but I need to get to work. Enjoy!
Old 10-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #117
Ta2Don

WOW! Awesome Pics and what a variety of old iron...
Starting with the Scenic shots through the C30 Dumper...
Thanks Again for sharing this thread with us folks that aren't fortunate enough to get out into the wilds as you do!!!
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #118
Ol Blue K20

What great bunch of pics, waiting to see the rest....

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 10-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #119
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2Don View Post
WOW! Awesome Pics and what a variety of old iron...
Starting with the Scenic shots through the C30 Dumper...
Thanks Again for sharing this thread with us folks that aren't fortunate enough to get out into the wilds as you do!!!
You're welcome and thanks for commenting. I realize how lucky I am to do what I do and I love to talk about it and share.

Quote:
What great bunch of pics, waiting to see the rest....
Thanks. I should get caught up here soon with the stuff from last week, then I have more from today.

Last week I had a day in the cities again. I like large murals.

This old panel was in front of a restaurant in Roseville. On Rice St I think.

Couple pics from the inside of an old riveted boiler I was looking at that day. The newest boiler I inspected that day was built in 1961 (not this one). Tubes in the firebox area on a Murray watertube boiler...

Inside the mud drum (lower) of that boiler. You can see the riveted long seam on the lower right. This is a high pressure boiler rated at 150 psi. (Anything over 15 psi is consider high pressure for ASME code rules and which section applies to it)

This is inside the firebox of an old firetube boiler and this pic really turned out cool.

When I got home, or into town, I stopped by a friends shop to see if he might be in cause I was looking for a part he may have. He wasn't, but while looking around I saw a couple things in the tire pile that I thought were kinda cool. Anyone ever seen a Bobby Unser street tire before? I think I'm gonna ask him for that one.

And anyone over about 35 should remember these. The old school tire sizing. I think the biggest I remember seeing was an N-50.

That's it for that day, but not done for last week yet.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 10-15-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #120
Ol Blue K20

I used to have N50 T/A radials on my 66 chevelle....I'm way past 35...

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 10-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #121
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

The rest of these are from my local junkyard. I went out there to get a knob for my sons blazer. I found that in a few minutes, but took the opportunity to wander through the yard and take a better look at the older stuff and the things forgotten out in the woods.

Old iron...

More old iron and my favorite pic of the day...

This one's been here a while, whatever it is. Go ahead and post if you recognize it...

Old IH...

REAL old, before the IH symbol was used...

Pinto (See, they didn't all blow up!, fricken Nader)...

This VW has seen better days...

I don't know what this is, feel free to chime in if you can ID it...

Gremlin X...

Some heavy chevys...

Late 50's Ford I think. Was owned by a packers fan based on the hideous green and yellow paint. NO PACK NO!!!

Lets see what's out in the woods. Hmmm a Buick.

And a pontiac...

A fairly complete scout (Gonna have to take a closer look at this one. I got a soft spot for these, as does my wife)...

And last but not least (well maybe it is least based on what it is but I leave it for you, the loyal subscriber to decide) a suburban trailer...

True story about this yard. It's now owned by a couple brothers, but their dad and I think the grandpa also ran it back in the day. Dad would go out in the yard and break the lights, glass and lenses so they wouldn't be stolen. Not a great mind this one, because they will also never be bought. Oh well.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 10-15-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #122
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
I used to have N50 T/A radials on my 66 chevelle....I'm way past 35...
Did you have the back end jacked up and paint the axle some bright color? Got any pics of it to post?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #123
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Did you have the back end jacked up and paint the axle some bright color? Got any pics of it to post?
Yes the back was jacked up the front was too...I'll have to look for pics..

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 10-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #124
Ta2Don

Back in the day... late 70's early 80's I had a 71 ElCamino with L50-14s on the back... Air Shocks for lift!

Late 50's Ford I think. Was owned by a packers fan based on the hideous green and yellow paint. NO PACK NO!!!
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #125
earl84

Just found this thread and subscribed. Some really interesting photos. I grew up in Casselton, ND, just 20 miles west of Fargo, so I know a lot of the areas you are talking about. Very interesting, indeed. Thanks for sharing.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote