The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2016, 11:43 PM   #201
swamp rat

Re: Out of the Ditch = The Rebuild Begins ('72 GMC)

Little here, little there, it all adds up, keep at it its looking great!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:31 PM   #202
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Thanks you'se guys!

Been busy as we've had some good weather here in Western WA. Family, vacation, work, fishing, and preparing for upcoming hunting seasons has been taking up a lot of my time.

So I got a bit done on the passenger side rocker panel and it fits like complete crap. I will have to make a couple of cuts to get it to line up with the front of the door opening along the weatherstrip "rail". I had to cut the entire front of it off to get it to line up with the door and front fender. I'll cut another piece out of 18 gauge steel (probably from my old hood) to make it work and weld it in to the front of the rocker panel. It doesn't line up very well along the bottom of the inner rocker as well. But I'll get it done.

More to come later... didn't get a lot finished.

Gary
Attached Images

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:48 PM   #203
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Metal thrashing mad!

I have been beating my head against a wall with this passenger side outer rocker. I see and hear cats replacing them like... "super easy, didn't have to modify anything..." Not the case with mine. I found out after I have this thing halfway installed and have had to refabricate the entire front of it, that I have panels made by "Dynacorn". Apparently they are garbage. Well... FML.

In the pics you'll see how far I had to bend the damn thing away from the pillar to get it to line up with the door and the fender. Plus like I mentioned above I had to refab the front of it to get it to even mate up with anything. I had to make a relief cut towards the inside near the door lip that I will have to "massage" into place with strategic welds and hammer shots.

So I'm either going to quit with this one, and remove the welds I already have in it and junk it for panels made by a different source... or I can make this POS work and then get a different brand panel for the drivers side. Glad I started on the passenger side so it won't pi$$ me off every time I opened the door!

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #204
swamp rat

If you look at the one i did i made a pie slice to make that inner weather strip lip line up. are you 100% sure the door is adjusted properly? checked with the front fender on place? i do think some of them are miss stamped, pretty sure i saved a thread on it..

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-11-2016, 08:22 PM   #205
swamp rat

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=711884

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #206
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I lined up the door and the fender about 300 times. I had my stepson and my buddy help me out on 2 different occasions to make sure I wasn't losing my marbles.

Sure as heck, that rocker needed to be bent outward and down in the front. I then tacked it in place. Then the lower lip has to be pushed up pretty hard to meet up with the lower lip of the inner rocker. That bows it out enough to get it to line up with the fender and the door.

So there is a chance that my cab could be a tad tweaked as well. Remember, this truck was in a wreck. The bed smacked the cab on that side. Coulda knocked it out of whack a bit.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-14-2016, 09:59 AM   #207
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Got the rocker all welded up and sprayed it with some rattle can primer. Feeling a bit accomplished as this was my first time doing any rust repair and also this rocker kicked my butt. LOL

Will be starting on the drivers side possibly later today. Thanks for all the encouragement that everyone has given through this process. I learned a lot, and I have a better understanding of how these cabs go together and how to make the repairs to the rust.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-14-2016, 10:06 AM   #208
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

More pics...

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #209
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Wow, it looks good.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #210
flashed

It looks great ,I love watching you guys that are brave enough to do rust repair like that .I had a great shop do all mine as I was afraid I would mess up big time .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:46 PM   #211
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Thanks guys!

flashy... I made the decision to give this a shot and ran with it. But... it was still pretty tough making those first few cuts. I was a bit less apprehensive when cutting out the floor as none of it would be seen. But the cuts into the "A" pillar and the rear cab corner were a bit more "scary". I bet I sat there for an hour and a half with the cutting wheel in my hand deciding on how to start that cab corner cut. But... again, I just went for it. It looks "decent" in primer, but it will need a tad bit of Bondo to smooth it all out. Which is something else I've never done... so that will be a whole 'nother process!

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #212
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Attacking the drivers side. It's safe to say that this side is way worse than the passenger side. The lower pillar is non existent, and the rear cab support is a tad rusted out. There won't be many pics of this side, as it will be pretty much a mirror of the other.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-19-2016, 06:16 PM   #213
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

It.looks a little worse but you got some experience from the other side. Good luck buddy

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:33 PM   #214
Jarvis-69 GMC 1500CK

What page (if any) did the hing get repaired, I have the exact same thing happening (just from rust) so would love to see how you fixed it.
Jarvis-69 GMC 1500CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:09 AM   #215
swamp rat

My thoughts are to work/fit just the lower A pillar now before cutting anything else out, get it cut to length and get the lower holes transferred to it., that A pillar later will become a control point that will allow you to align the lower cab support to it, plus it will keep the floor and support from dropping too low. Ya don't want to weld it right away but it can be clamped in place later with butt weld clamps or tacked temporarily then removed when needed while fitting the rest of the floor and inner kick.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-21-2016, 06:09 AM   #216
Ironangel

You did a hellofa fit up for junk panels Gary, well done! I keep a jar of small teck-screws handy during fit up. They're easier than clamps and the holes fill with a spot weld, they're more forgiving if you have to move a piece a little too. I make lap joints where ever I can for ease of welding. I cut the cab corners right at the formed point with a small lap, when I run that bead the weld becomes the rolled point and a sanding flapper disk on the angle grinder will contour the final body lines. I like the Tri-Plus body panels. Rockers should have a 3/4" - 1" hole in the end that allows undercoat or your favorite rust inhibitor to be sprayed inside the full length of the rocker. A simple thin plug installs in the hole. Heres a pic of the cab corner transition where I make the cut & weld, leave the top long for a lap from the new lower panel. I like to use the one piece outer floor/inner rocker panel as it helps locate and integrate the cab corner and pillar as well as the floor. Heres a link to my first rocker & cab corner R&R. Looks like your doing just fine though, just some ideas that may help, good luck! https://www.facebook.com/michael.hil...1197237&type=3
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:57 PM   #217
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
It.looks a little worse but you got some experience from the other side. Good luck buddy
Thanks dude! It took me a lot longer on the other side as I was learning how everything came apart as I went. Now I Have a better idear on how it all comes apart and goes back together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis-69 GMC 1500CK View Post
What page (if any) did the hing get repaired, I have the exact same thing happening (just from rust) so would love to see how you fixed it.
I haven't got to that part yet. But I do have another drivers side door that is basically junk except for the hinge pockets. So When I attack that part, and figure out how I'm going to do it, I will post all that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
My thoughts are to work/fit just the lower A pillar now before cutting anything else out, get it cut to length and get the lower holes transferred to it., that A pillar later will become a control point that will allow you to align the lower cab support to it, plus it will keep the floor and support from dropping too low. Ya don't want to weld it right away but it can be clamped in place later with butt weld clamps or tacked temporarily then removed when needed while fitting the rest of the floor and inner kick.
I did exactly that Mike. Now that I have all of that lined up I went ahead and cut the rest of the floor and rear cab corner out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
You did a hellofa fit up for junk panels Gary, well done! I keep a jar of small teck-screws handy during fit up. They're easier than clamps and the holes fill with a spot weld, they're more forgiving if you have to move a piece a little too. I make lap joints where ever I can for ease of welding. I cut the cab corners right at the formed point with a small lap, when I run that bead the weld becomes the rolled point and a sanding flapper disk on the angle grinder will contour the final body lines. I like the Tri-Plus body panels. Rockers should have a 3/4" - 1" hole in the end that allows undercoat or your favorite rust inhibitor to be sprayed inside the full length of the rocker. A simple thin plug installs in the hole. Heres a pic of the cab corner transition where I make the cut & weld, leave the top long for a lap from the new lower panel. I like to use the one piece outer floor/inner rocker panel as it helps locate and integrate the cab corner and pillar as well as the floor. Heres a link to my first rocker & cab corner R&R. Looks like your doing just fine though, just some ideas that may help, good luck! https://www.facebook.com/michael.hil...1197237&type=3
Thanks dude! and nice job! I still need to cut that hole in the front of the rocker to spray some rust gunk in there.

Funny thing as I was cutting out spot welds on this side there were nearly a half as many less than there was on the passenger side. Dude running the spot welder on the drivers side must've been having a rough day. Drivers side was just ridiculous with so many spot welds holding it all together.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-22-2016, 11:49 AM   #218
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post

I still need to cut that hole in the front of the rocker to spray some rust gunk in there.

Gary
Ahhhhhh, Crap i knew i forgot something!! I primed the pieces well then stripped at every pre drilled hole for a spot weld and sprayed weldable primer, but i still want to spray something in my rockers to treat the weld burn off. Guess who put the driver fender back on.. Wonder if i can snake a spray tube in from behind the fender?

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #219
msgross

nice job, I need to get back on mine...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:06 PM   #220
jjzepplin

Subbed for the fine repairs and inspiration!
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:45 AM   #221
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Now that early deer and elk seasons are over, and Puget Sound Steelhead hasn't kicked in, I got back to work on the old hot rod.

Welded in the outer cab floor and also patched a big rust hole as well. Used another hunk of my old crushed hood for the patch panel. Now I have to line up the lower front pillar to finish cutting and then weld it in. Then the cab corner will be cut to fit and welded in.

Been thinking about using an aftermarket drivers side door. My top hinge pocket in the door was destroyed in the wreck, and it's a tricky area to weld a new "patch" in there. The drivers side door of the 1972 parts truck I bought is in very rough shape... so leaning towards and aftermarket door. This truck will never be a show truck, so I don't really care about gaps being perfect. I just want a solid door that will open and close correctly.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-13-2016, 12:25 AM   #222
sduckworth13

Gary, your doing some real solid work there. Looks great!!
Old 11-16-2016, 05:07 PM   #223
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Gary, your doing some real solid work there. Looks great!!
Thank you Scott!

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-16-2016, 05:15 PM   #224
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

This truck will never be a show truck. Just low, mean, fast and loud... So I am learning as I go in the metal fabrication process and the rust repair. Today I decided what the hell... might as well give the upper door hinge pocket repair a try. If i really screw up that bad, I'll just use a different door, or... ulp... an aftermarket door!

When I wrecked this thing the drivers side door flew open and tore the already rusty hinge pocket out of the door a bit. So here is what I've done today...

Made a few cuts to the outer skin and will use what I cut out as a template to make a new skin out of spare sheet metal. I wire wheeled in there the best I could and then hit it all with some Rust Mort. Now I will let it sit overnight so the Rust Mort can dry and I'll figure some more out tomorrow.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by GASoline71; 11-16-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:58 PM   #225
Average Joe

Any new updates? Youre doing nice work and a heckuva job documenting your journey.

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote