The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2017, 07:36 AM   #1
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

"un-fun" at work yesterday

A month ago I was moved to the addition on shop. It's great except for one thing. The buttons for my 3 doors are not near office and I have to wait-hope-pray another tech hears me honk the horn. It's been working OK but this week Brad is on vacation and Ken is clear across the shop. The only other guy is Curt and he doesn't like me. His tool box is 3 steps away from door switches and right against the exterior wall. Curt sees me as a threat since I can and will do everything he does and more, plus do it faster.

At 10:00 I was given a work order for a car and pulled up to door right across wall from Curt. I honked horn and waited 3 minutes. Honked it for 10 seconds and waited another 3 minutes. Then another long blast and 3 minute wait, still no Curt pressing button. I then got out of car, walked around to main shop back door, came in and walked past Curt standing in front of his toolbox eating an apple with a smug look on his face. I opened door and brought car in and did my work. A few minutes later boss came back and started to say somehting. I stopped him mid-sentence and strongly told him he may need to make a decision.

"Either Curt goes, I go or something is done about the door situation."

Now, I know for a fact I could have another job in less than 30 minutes if forced.

Later on after lunch boss came back and asked what I thought about having a 2 button remote for the 2 most common used doors
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: "un-fun" at work yesterday

May I suggest some starting fluid and match to get Brad moving?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #3
davischevy

I think Curt's brother used to work for us. He finally pushed my son in law to far.

A guy like that can spoil the whole barrel.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:39 PM   #4
clay68c10

Man, I don't miss working around insecure caustic guys like that. Flat rate brings out the worst in people.
Nice that you get a remote, that'll be handy on those cold snowy days. The last dealer I worked at had lots of manual doors.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:26 AM   #5
flashed

We have one of those guys too . I stepped up and saved his job a while back ,wont do it again.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:31 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Get a t-shirt made that says "I'm not the reason you suck"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 11-17-2017, 08:44 PM   #7
Boog
laying low

Some one ought to serve that guy a big old bowl of payback.
My dad once had some mechanics that didn't get along like that. Moving things and hiding car keys, things like that. One little guy had enough and one day he went to the toilet and wiped his butt with a shop towel then dropped that towel on the other guy's tool box knowing he'd use it next. He did.
The little guy laughed and the big guy steamed. They almost came to blows. The big guy moved on to bug somebody at his next job.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:58 PM   #8
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

The last time I dealt with a guy like this he quit after I "fixed" his attitude. I was younger and had nothing to loose back then. I asked boss how much a barrel of chassis grease cost, he told me and that was the end of the conversation. That night I filled the guy's tool box with grease from the pumper. He came in next morning, tried to open a few drawers, got real mad and walked out. The following day his tool box was gone and so was he. The boss never charged me for the grease
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
Old 11-17-2017, 11:12 PM   #9
In The Ten Ring

In the old days you would have walked in and punched the punk in that "smug face" of his and then begged him to ignore your honks again.

Everyone would have looked, shrugged, and gone on with the day, including the boss.

Problems like this are caused by a manager that isn't running his ship.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:00 AM   #10
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

There's always one. I worked with a lot of crew's and there was always "That guy' and everybody knew who he was.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.

Last edited by FleetsidePaul; 11-18-2017 at 04:06 AM.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:05 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

I've worked with that type and I fix them with wit to the point they step back and leave me alone. First thing is ask when they lost their puppy and it goes from there. On a framing crew "Bob" and overgrown wussy who thought he was better than the rest. Talked all the time about having been a surgical assistant in the Navy. "Now you're one of us" or "Where did that get you?", is all I'd say. It was easy to get him upset and his voice would show it. It would crack like a pubescent teen. I called him Mother Goose. One day after lunch the other three of us were cutting up getting slap happy because the lunch special at the diner gave us all bad gas. Bob was the only one not playing along. Norm took it to gays and how their loose farts might sound and questioned their ability to hold things back. That's when Bob in all his authority said, "They have their rectal sphincter stitched". That's when I asked him, "How much did that cost you?". The crew was rolling on the floor laughing. Then couldn't work without making loose fart sounds saying things like, "Opps, gotta get my rinker stinker stitched", and it went on and on forever. Flat out slap happy all afternoon. Bob was silent and serious the whole time. That must have sealed the deal because he never ran his mouth with me again. Worked better than the time I decked him, which is another funny story.

Tim

Old 11-18-2017, 01:58 PM   #12
abig84

i quit my last job because of the guy i worked with, complained about him multiple times. you would think since i worked 3 times faster then him they would have done something. basically the guy had mental issues and talked to himself all day and would have full blown arguments with himself all day everyday, was funny for a while but eventually drove me crazy.

so started applying to other places and found something i like a lot better with more money and benefits. so if you dont like where your at theres always some place better
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:30 PM   #13
YBNORML

Employee morale is incredibly important to me, i learned very early on what a"bad apple" can do to a crew. Don't get me wrong a little bit if fun is also good for morale but when I run across a guy like Curt, he gets sent down the road real quick, it only takes making an example out of one problem to send a message to everyone else. Ive gone so far as to have a sub trade remove a problem worker from my site.

Work isn't always the most pleasant thing to do, but no one needs an asshole making it worse.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:36 PM   #14
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

the rest of us all have fun and enjoy the day. So many times in the last year I've gone home with a smile. Most every day is like being at deer camp

Yesterday the boss put a smile on my face. I'm in the addition and no music from other guys on my side. Boss got a new stereo system at home so he gave me his Pioneer 5.1 system. I went in and got it all wired up today. Monday is gonna be rocking! I feel some AC/DC is in order
Old 11-19-2017, 06:23 AM   #15
Boog
laying low

ROCK ON DUDE
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:50 PM   #16
fine69

I just quit a job that I had worked for only TWO MONTHS. Small group of us in a body shop. The painter was the problem. Total douche.
But he had been with the owner/boss for 15 years.
No way change was gonna happen. Moved on, lots of jobs out there.
I did tell the boss and my replacement that the painter was the issue.
Too old to beat the crap out of anyone anymore. Lol

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:53 PM   #17
In The Ten Ring

The only real way to avoid being abused at work is to own the company.

Once you realize you are being abused, tell them straight up you won't stand for it. If it continues, hit the silk.* It won't get any better.....hopefully with real job hiring picking back up companies will have less of a pool of desperate unemployed to replace a good man with.

*Hit the silk. An older skydiving/bailout term for when parachutes were made of silk. Now those are nylon but "hit the nylon" just doesn't sound right.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:43 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

I dunno, looks like that painter is having his way w/o owning the business. That's the problem sometimes. If a toxic a-hole does well enough for the owner they get to stay in spite of their defective personality. In fact, they often get worse once they realize they are getting away with it. It's called job politics. Been there done that and all you can do is find greener grass or become toxified.

Tim

Old 11-20-2017, 11:45 AM   #19
davischevy

These guys are sometimes good at giving the perception they are making the owner money.

When you factor in the drama, causing lost time by the people around them, on paper they don't look so good, not to mention the culture tends to creep into the whole place.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #20
LEEVON

Shop owner here, your boss failed you. He should have let Curt know that if he can't be part of the team he's not on the team...might be a firm or gentle conversation, depends on Curt. The button might be a problem, but tomorrow it will be something else. If an employee (or two) can't understand that good morale and teamwork benefits ALL then they might not belong. Another shop owner once gave me wise advice to "Protect your employees from any other employee, vendor, or customer who is toxic". They appreciate protecting what we've worked so hard to build.

Leadership - doing the hard thing first!

Last edited by LEEVON; 11-20-2017 at 12:16 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote