The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2017, 02:51 AM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Don't be a cell phone zombie.

As common as it is, I am sure a few such zombies are on this site.

Frankly, it's amazing these people live through a single day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYgTM1pPjKQ
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
hotsam

Re: Don't be a cell phone zombie.

Man I preach this to my wife all the time while were walking through town or parking lots... Im sure she's tired of hearing it!!😎
1955 2 door 210 post
hotsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:59 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

They aren't phone zombies, just zombies with phones. How the heck do you do this stuff? It's not as much that they don't see where they are going but more like they forgot where they were and what they were doing.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:45 AM   #4
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

That's funny....but sad at the same time

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:49 AM   #5
davischevy

The gal in the white suit dropping her big butt in the planter was the funniest. I noticed she didn't look at herself in the mirror again.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #6
WorkinLonghorn

I'll never forget the time the news showed a guy who had been severely injured in some horrific accident being loaded into an ambulance. He was on the stretcher with his cell phone running his mouth. Unbelievable.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #7
WorkinLonghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
The gal in the white suit dropping her big butt in the planter was the funniest. I noticed she didn't look at herself in the mirror again.
Yeah, they saved the best for last, but did you notice that at no point did she stop yapping away into her cell?
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #8
In The Ten Ring

I tell you guys, go to a large city or university. Those students walk across the street never once looking up! To think they are considered "smart."

I do not and will not walk across any street...I have always run or jogged. I keep my head on a swivel and make it a game, "see them first." It's not only for traffic safety but also to prevent 2-legged predatory surprises.

I realized I too was becoming addicted to the smartphone so I went back to a flip phone and I hate texting, I won't do it unless someone texts me first and then I usually just call them back.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:04 PM   #9
Coley

Smile Re: Don't be a cell phone zombie.

...well, the kids are getting the phones earlier and earlier in life.....and who owns that?
Let's face it, they aren't funding these smart phones and data plans themselves....lol

We can't facilitate this with one hand....then disparage the results with the other hand.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #10
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Well I need my smart phone for work. Its turned in to a must have. I'm a field service tech. It went from using my customers phone to call in when I'm finished, to beepers, and now smart phones. Pretty much everything I need for work is right at my finger tips. Manuals, service sites, email and texting to be in contact with my customers.

And its a great way to stay in contact with my friends and family. From parents to Grand kids and everyone in between. People don't like to talk on the phone for some reason, but they will almost always answer a text.

I have yet to run in to anything, fall in to a body of water, or get pulled over for texting while driving. Pretty much 101 stuff, not Darwin stuff.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #11
In The Ten Ring

There is a recent study about how dangerous cell phone and FB use is for children.

I think as time goes on more and more it will be shown how detrimental it is to learning how to form personal connections, to personal mental health, self esteem, and to attention deficit disorder plus exercise and creativity.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #12
Coley

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
There is a recent study about how dangerous cell phone and FB use is for children.

I think as time goes on more and more it will be shown how detrimental it is to learning how to form personal connections, to personal mental health, self esteem, and to attention deficit disorder plus exercise and creativity.
Actually a lot of that is already proving true.
Some kids and teens are allowed to sleep with their phones in their rooms at night and this leading to sleep deprivation, anxiety and increased social stress...given the fact the phone 'beeps' them about every 15-20 min. with some type of social update.
You would think that the parents would impose the rule (as some have) about shutting all the devices off at night and locking them in a drawer so everyone gets a break and a good nights sleep.

'Distracted driving' now causes more deaths on the road than drinking and driving....and there are emerging numbers on what and who the demographic is that is associated with these numbers.
hint:.....it isn't us older guys who seem to usually find a reasonable balance in this communication form.

all good
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 11-23-2017, 02:32 PM   #13
In The Ten Ring

I have read that too.......and something else.

The touch screen radios, GPS, and climate controls that are all the rage in new cars are a bit part of the problem. There is no way to operate a touch screen without looking at it, which means you aren't looking at the road.

This has gotten some TV air time but not much.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:29 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Yeah, they make a law that makes touching a cell phone illegal while it's where your mind goes that presents the danger. You can drive a vehicle safely with one hand but not with your mind on other things. And now they put navigation and control screens in your face. 1 in 4 accidents are caused by cell phone use (hand held and hands-free). 5% of those accidents are caused by texting. It's not the hands, it's the mind.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 11-25-2017, 12:08 PM   #15
Coley

Funny, ironic story relating to the cell phone zombie group:

First, I have to laugh at the 'back to school' ads on the radio at the start of the school year.
They conversation centers largely about the 'watch out for the kids' safety program and drive safely through the school zones.

Well, a few people correctly observed...'what kids'?...they haven't seen kids walking to school for years....lol, which is unfortunately largely true.

That said, when the police actually set up school zone 'traps' checking for bad drivers....well, 90% of the tickets went to parents who were typically speeding while rushing their kids to school...and a great many of them were also texting and on the phone.
This was very unpopular information when it got out....and the parenting community went into overdrive to attempt to justify this.
'Safety first'....go figure, lol.

The unfortunate part is that kids are very much 'monkey see, monkey do'...so they will undoubtedly be some of the many kids who simply copy their parents behavior when the first get their license....and will be texting and driving.
That is going to be a hard or expensive lesson in setting an example...or not.

Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 11-25-2017, 12:40 PM   #16
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I have a Trac phone. It costs me $70 a year and I probably put two minutes a month on it.

Someday I may adjust, but at this point I have little use for cell phones and have texted twice.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:17 PM   #17
midniteblues

The person falling into the water fountain at the 1 min. Mark happened at a local mall here, sadly somehow they tried too sue for it happening.

Personally I think the whole problem is with self discipline.

The push button society comment is the perfect truth.
So many people nowadays go blank after the pushed button don't produce the satisfactory results.

I feel the video games are detrimental to it all, since that's where it starts.
Every single kid I know under 18 and alot of them over that age are game zombies, try too get them to do anything else that don't involve a screen and buttons and while they are trying to accomplish said task they talk about the buttons and screen then 5-15 min later they get bored,flustered and aggravated and almost instantly return to the screen where it's too easy to just "start over". Then that teaches them that they don't have to try there very best the first time and it's OK too fail time and time again cause you can always start over.

The kids around here relate parts of games to real life situations. But when real life mistakes are made and there is no try again button then ones coping skills are tested to the very limits.

Get these very kids outside and they stand around upset and clueless on what to occupie themselves with.

It's a very hard life for the parent who sees this happening and the other denies it all.

I've watched one neighborhood boy who always played outside great and kinda had the leader role with the other kids on what/how too play outside.
His parents wont allow him to play games.
He has slowly slipped away from the neighborhood kids and has a good grasp on real life situations and skills.

Most of the neighborhood teens talk about a new game console or phone instead of getting a license and car anymore.

That's sad.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.

Last edited by midniteblues; 11-25-2017 at 02:56 PM.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:09 AM   #18
In The Ten Ring

Reviving this thread because of what I saw (and stopped) yesterday.

I was in my dad's truck and thus, sat up high enough to see...

Man in dress clothes NOT stopped at the red light. I'll explain.

We pull up side-by-side at the red light except he doesn't stop....he slowly drifts into the center of the intersection, looking down at his phone the entire time! The only reason he stopped is because I laid on the horn and he reactively slammed his brake pedal.

It was the most egregious example of "distracted driver" I have yet seen. Had I not honked he would have idled straight on through.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 05-05-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #19
Coley

I can follow up on this older thread as well with an incident about 2-3 weeks ago.
We were heading downtown and there is a slow, angled turn lane about 500 ft long that heads right and steers you off the main street and we were going to take it.
Well there is a teenage girl on her phone with her ear buds on walking in the same direction (right side of the road) as we are driving.
Normally she would continue to follow the sidewalk curving right...basically right beside the road.
However she suddenly steps off (left) and right into this angled right lane in order to keep going straight....with no concept of looking or?...who knows.

Well for some reason I was watching this....I don't know why and I had enough time to react and I got on the brakes and the horn....seriously on the horn.
She just turned and looked at me, shrugged and then kept walking across.

An emerging generation raised, increasingly with very little awareness of the community they live in and the rules and respect required within it.....even when their own safety is compromised they don't understand.

Not good....but I'm glad I didn't run her over because that Duramax would have given her a dirt nap in a hurry.

Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 05-05-2018, 10:14 AM   #20
Steeveedee

I see it all the time. Our local paper has an article today about people walking out into traffic and being killed. Something like 70% of the fatalities, they were using their phones and not looking where they were going. One of my sons saw a gal who was all dolled for a presentation at the university walk straight into a fountain. Trashed her presentation papers and all. One needs to keep their wits about them at all times. Even one can get hurt.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:51 AM   #21
special-K
Special Order

Three times in the last two weeks I have come upon the oncoming vehicle in the middle of the road or square in my lane. Granted, these were fairly narrow country roads, but also with blind humps and curves. All three times the driver was looking square at me same as I was looking at them. No phone use as an excuse, just blatent mindlessness and disregard for driving in a manner that does not put others at risk. All three times I gave a stern and obvious point to my left where they should be driving accompanied by a stare right through them scowling look. Phones don't help, but I see this as more a matter of mindless disregard I have noticed more and more since about the '80s, getting worse every years, and now all the worse with the advent of smart phones that do seem to make zombies out of those already having such tendencies.

I have people let doors close on me rather than the courtesy of holding it for their fellow man. And I have held the door for such types who roll on through without acknowledging my existence. I feel like slamming it on their ass to bring them around to the here and now they are living in, but so far just a "You're welcome" has been all I've done. Before cell phones it was Walkmen putting people in their own world smack dab in the middle of a crowd of people. Makes you feel like finding a thief and saying "Hey buddy, there's an easy one"

So many seem isolated from others, all caught up in their me me me mentality and are oblivious to their true surroundings. These people are totally dependent on comfort and convenience found at the slide of a card and would never survive in a situation where the system they rely upon failed, even for just a couple weeks. The modern world has people disconnected from true reality while becoming totally dependent upon the man made artificial one that dominates society today.

I've been wanting to get bumper stickers made for decades that simply state "Think first", for all the impulsive people who apparently don't do that. Ever have someone sitting at a stop sign hang a hard right just as you are getting there only to pull off onto the shoulder and stop to allow you to pass...after giving you a heart attack? My thought is always "Now you're thinking". That is where the bumper sticker idea come from. Just sit the eff still another 3 seconds you impulsive fool!

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 05-05-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:55 AM   #22
In The Ten Ring

Insanity! Yet, I believe you 100%.....

Their sense of entitlement (you must do X for me!) is bad enough but the disregard for their own safety boggles the mind.

I have contemplated getting a Go Pro camera with a head mount and wearing it whenever I drive, just to record the distracted morons on their phones.

After stopping Mr. Cell Phone from running the red light, I saw an older lady, that was on one, HOLDING UP TRAFFIC. I saw her look down as I passed and thought "when her lane starts moving again she won't move." I looked in the mirror and that is exactly what happened.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #23
pritch

My employer provides me with a smart phone. It weighs heavy on me and when I'm not at work I rarely have it with me. Maybe some day I'll own one of my own, but then again maybe not.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:38 AM   #24
The Rocknrod

I have a flip phone. I'm sure your not surprised.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 01:43 PM   #25
In The Ten Ring

Your not having a smartphone encourages me!

I used to have a smartphone but I saw I was becoming an addict, the same sort of addict I berated others for being. When it developed a flaw and could not be fixed, I replaced it with a flip phone and I have not looked back. That was four years ago. It was a great decision.