The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #1976
osaltyone

Re: SoCal checkin' in

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialBoss View Post
Hey Osaltyone,

Have you had issues with smog? Or did you have a hard time sourcing the engine?
Haven't had to smog it yet, but will have to make all the smog stuff work because of my truck year. Wish I had an older year. the engine was fairly easy to find local auto dismantler. I got mine as a package with the engine, trans, PCM, harness pedal and computer for the pedal.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #1977
Lee H

Quote:
Originally Posted by osaltyone View Post
Haven't had to smog it yet, but will have to make all the smog stuff work because of my truck year. Wish I had an older year. the engine was fairly easy to find local auto dismantler. I got mine as a package with the engine, trans, PCM, harness pedal and computer for the pedal.
You need to do some research on this. About 10 years ago when I looked into putting a newer, late 90s TBI, motor in a 1978 C10 the Air Resources Board told me the vehicle would need to be certified by the ARB and from then on it would be required to pass smog in accordance with the donor vehicle. I sold the truck rather than open this can of worms. Things may have changed since then.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Old 01-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #1978
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Arent you in training mode? You might want to limit yourself. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopped up View Post
That sux vdog, I'll eat a few extra tacos god you. And a few cold ones lol
Old 01-17-2014, 06:25 PM   #1979
hopped up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
Arent you in training mode? You might want to limit yourself. LOL
youre right vince. maybe only 1 taco and no beer
Old 01-17-2014, 08:21 PM   #1980
osaltyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
You need to do some research on this. About 10 years ago when I looked into putting a newer, late 90s TBI, motor in a 1978 C10 the Air Resources Board told me the vehicle would need to be certified by the ARB and from then on it would be required to pass smog in accordance with the donor vehicle. I sold the truck rather than open this can of worms. Things may have changed since then.
Yeah, it is still the same. I have to get all the fuel purge stuff installed and enable the rear O2 sensors from what I read. Might be more, but we'll see.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #1981
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Now you know one taco is just go piss you off. LOL
Get you bout 3 and 2 beers and call it a night. I will eat the other 6 for you. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopped up View Post
youre right vince. maybe only 1 taco and no beer
Old 01-17-2014, 11:06 PM   #1982
Lee H

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdog View Post
now you know one taco is just go piss you off. Lol
get you bout 3 and 2 beers and call it a night. I will eat the other 6 for you. Lol
lol!

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Old 01-19-2014, 02:23 AM   #1983
VWNate1

Re : SoCal SMOG Testing

FWIW ;

It's really very simple as long as you're not too lazy ~

My old '76 GMC 2500 Long Bed Fleetside's 292 burned oil like crazy but didn't smoke much thanx to original HEI and careful tuning , '76 is the last year Cali. smogs so I went to work and replaced about 40' of various size hoses , added spring typ clips to every hose connection , timed it bang on , opened the spark plugs up to .070" and it breezed through the smog test ! I forget the limits but the Tester told me he was amazed it ran so clean for such and old truck .

No CAT either .

Long live dependable GMC light duty trucks ! .

The message here is : if you take the time to dot every 'I' and cross every 'T' , it'll prolly be fine .

I had much fun (NOT !) hooking up the dual tanks various venting and vapor recovery hoses but the original 1976 activated charcoal canister still worked just fine .

'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
Old 01-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #1984
InitialBoss

Ok, gents, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I found out my truck is leaking ATF. However, I have a 2 week old baby boy, taking care of my 20 month old daughter, and going back to work again soon, so I don't have the time to fix it myself. I want to take it to a shop to fix and to get my fuel gauge issue resolved, and to get the lights in the console working again. There are other things that need doing like the weather stripping around the doors and the side window vent channels, but that can wait. I just want to make sure this truck is reliable when driving (for the most part). I know it'll need further work but I want to take it to shop to fix these issues and be working so I can work onthe other little things when I have time.

That being said, can anyone recommend a good shop which knows our trucks and is in the Riverside/Corona area? Or maybe Grand terrace? My truck can drive but it also seems to be burning something under the hood. After a short drive to warm up the ATF, I noticed that the air cleaner tube area was smoking a bit so I'm not sure why that would be so hot or why it's smoking around that area. (I still have to check the gasket in the ATF filler tube so hopefully that'll be an easy fix.) Sorry for the long post but I'm wanting to get this started soon so I can go cruising to meets in the future!
Old 01-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #1985
Dano69c10

Ask "ItsRandy" he's from the Grand Terrace area, he probably knows all the shops around him.

Dano

Quote:
Ok, gents, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I found out my truck is leaking ATF. However, I have a 2 week old baby boy, taking care of my 20 month old daughter, and going back to work again soon, so I don't have the time to fix it myself. I want to take it to a shop to fix and to get my fuel gauge issue resolved, and to get the lights in the console working again. There are other things that need doing like the weather stripping around the doors and the side window vent channels, but that can wait. I just want to make sure this truck is reliable when driving (for the most part). I know it'll need further work but I want to take it to shop to fix these issues and be working so I can work onthe other little things when I have time.

That being said, can anyone recommend a good shop which knows our trucks and is in the Riverside/Corona area? Or maybe Grand terrace? My truck can drive but it also seems to be burning something under the hood. After a short drive to warm up the ATF, I noticed that the air cleaner tube area was smoking a bit so I'm not sure why that would be so hot or why it's smoking around that area. (I still have to check the gasket in the ATF filler tube so hopefully that'll be an easy fix.) Sorry for the long post but I'm wanting to get this started soon so I can go cruising to meets in the future!

It ain't yours, if you didn't build it!
Old 01-23-2014, 12:54 AM   #1986
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano69c10 View Post
Ask "ItsRandy" he's from the Grand Terrace area, he probably knows all the shops around him.

Dano
I wish I could help you out but I haven't taken my truck to a shop except for interior, exhaust or to get it an alignment for 30 years so I really don't know any shops. However, if I get some time I will come over and lend a hand. You need more light in your garage!
Old 01-24-2014, 01:28 AM   #1987
InitialBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRandy View Post
I wish I could help you out but I haven't taken my truck to a shop except for interior, exhaust or to get it an alignment for 30 years so I really don't know any shops. However, if I get some time I will come over and lend a hand. You need more light in your garage!
Thanks Randy, I appreciate the help. Yeah, it's just a little odds and ends that need fixing like all our trucks. Where did all you guys learn how to fix your trucks? I wish I had some of this vast knowledge! I'm barely learning how to replace my shocks and seatbelts. Ha ha!!
Old 01-24-2014, 01:44 AM   #1988
hopped up

Quote:
Thanks Randy, I appreciate the help. Yeah, it's just a little odds and ends that need fixing like all our trucks. Where did all you guys learn how to fix your trucks? I wish I had some of this vast knowledge! I'm barely learning how to replace my shocks and seatbelts. Ha ha!!
You learn by jumping in and doing! Of course do research before, but no bette wY to learn than to do it. I've been at it since I was a kid and trust me I've made my share of mistakes, I'm sure I'll make plenty more too. But I'll keep building and getting better as I go. Don be afraid to try of to make mistakes. You'll learn from those mistakes
Old 01-26-2014, 12:46 AM   #1989
hopped up

Well you guys missed out! Last nite at old crow speed shop/Delmo speed and custom was a great time. Brook and me had some adult beverages a taco or two and saw lots of really cool hot rods and customs. Oh yeah Jon was there along with Eddie, nice meeting you. Here's a few pics I took
[IMG][/IMG]
Very cool 32 5 window
[IMG][/IMG]
32roadster
[IMG][/IMG]
Looks like vdog is having Delmo work on his truck
Old 01-26-2014, 12:47 AM   #1990
hopped up

Old 01-26-2014, 12:49 AM   #1991
hopped up

[IMG][/IMG]
More of dels work
[IMG][/IMG]
Hey Delmo I'll be by next week to pick up my twin turbo small block
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-26-2014, 12:52 AM   #1992
hopped up

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Close up of those super sweet cnc'd wheels that look like factory hubcaps
Old 01-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #1993
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Man... whered he get Those Wheels???
Old 01-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #1994
VWNate1

Thumbs up Re : Old Crow Meet

It really was nice , too bad I didn't see any familiar faces .

The music was pretty good and the vintage Hot Rod stuff they have both on display and the Rods proper , were simply amazing .

Sadly I didn't get in the taco line early enough and it got to be wayyyy too long so I ate elsewhere , they looked delicious .

It wasn't crowded atall and out side there were various Hot & Rat Rods lined up and changing .

THANK YOU for the heads up / invite .

I'm supposed to go get my new cab to - night after 6:00 PM , stand by .
Old 01-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #1995
hopped up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
Man... whered he get Those Wheels???
custom made just for this blazer
Old 01-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #1996
hopped up

Re: Re : Old Crow Meet

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
It really was nice , too bad I didn't see any familiar faces .

The music was pretty good and the vintage Hot Rod stuff they have both on display and the Rods proper , were simply amazing .

Sadly I didn't get in the taco line early enough and it got to be wayyyy too long so I ate elsewhere , they looked delicious .

It wasn't crowded atall and out side there were various Hot & Rat Rods lined up and changing .

THANK YOU for the heads up / invite .

I'm supposed to go get my new cab to - night after 6:00 PM , stand by .
i got there around 8 and it was really crowded. i had to park my truck on thr block over. the tacos were very good. the al pastor was the best. i didnt see any rat rods those are frowned upon at traditional hot rod shows
Old 01-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #1997
VWNate1

Post Re: SoCal checkin' in

On a related note :

Can these guy be trusted to do restoration work ? .

My bone stock '69 C/10 needs the cab swapped and like that but I've had enough bad jobs with any old screw in any old hole , don't want that B.S. again .
TIA ,
Old 01-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #1998
preciador6

1972 GMC Value-Van from Pomona 91766
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #1999
VWNate1

Thumbs up Re : P Van !

That's nice .

Is it a 6 or V8 ? .