The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #76
SCOTI

Re: Towing C10..... what do I need ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusky View Post
Tom.... I got less than 4 grand in the motor. Let me guide you on how to pull it off.

I traded a nitrous bottle for a bare block.
The Heads I picked got 150 dollars off Facebook.
The rotating assembly came from a scoggin dickey. 2100 bucks
The timing chain (80 dollars)can be picked up new from ws6store website. Fast shipping they have.
Pushrods came from Brian Tooley Racing. 100 bucks brand new. Brian is the man... very nice guy that knows LS motors.
He also hooked me up on the valvesprings for 140 dollars.
Trunion upgrade was 115 dollars also from Tooley.
Lifters was 140 bucks
The injectors is used.... I paid 125 dollars for them off ls1tech.
Throttle body is off eBay for 150 dollars.
I hunted a intake down at pull a part got 75 dollars.
As far as gaskets/bolts I basically got them free from helping friends doing their cam swaps etc....
On the cam I picked it up from Hubbard Racing for 300 dollars.
Right place.... Right time you can do it too. Just helps to know great people and have sources.
If I missed anything let me know....

If you can get a 6.0 for a great deal I say snatch it up. They pop up all the time with spun bearings on Facebook for around 500 dollars or so. I now have a co worker begging me out the motor LOL....
I recall there being more electronics involved when swapping in an LS FI set-up. The harness, electronics, & computer aren't free nor is the tuning for the specific combo (necessary unless you're keeping it a stock set-up right?).

Old trucks can/will pull a trailer just fine w/their antiquated power plants. Swapping in an LS based FI set-up makes them more 'modern' as far as driveability but a fresh Quadrajet carb & OD trans will get it done all day long w/o issue. Either combo will be weakest in the braking area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusky
How much of a motor I need to tow my car 6 hours away from home ? 6.0 or 5.3 ?
What mods will be best for towing?
What transmission would be best?
Long wheel base or short wheel base ?
What gear ratio in the rear I need to get the weight moving?
A 350 gets it done.
RV/towing cam & better exhaust vs OE.
TH350/TH400 w/a GV OD or a 4l80e
LWB would be better for towing.
Depends on tire OD.... minimum 3.42's.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 02-23-2017 at 10:35 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:31 AM   #77
MalibuSSwagon

I think the biggest thing that made a difference with me towing with the 305 was the SM465. I could just jam it into the low gear at a stop and pull away no issue. That trans was made for heavy loads, it loved it. It drives like crap unloaded but with a load on it's a dream.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:46 AM   #78
Alex V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuSSwagon View Post
I think the biggest thing that made a difference with me towing with the 305 was the SM465. I could just jam it into the low gear at a stop and pull away no issue. That trans was made for heavy loads, it loved it. It drives like crap unloaded but with a load on it's a dream.
I'm with you with my NP435. I know numerous other pieces of my 1/2 ton drivetrain are gonna break before it gives up.

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:02 AM   #79
68post

Brakes, stability, gearing, and suspension are key over anything else. When it comes to an engine - torque beats horsepower , and it's needed off idle and low rpm.

For occasional towing - almost any engine works , for everyday towing - only the biggest gas or a diesel works best.

This all seems overly simplistic , I guess that's because it's just common sense.
94 K1500 lifted shortbed 350 4 bbl NV4500
68post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:14 AM   #80
Tusky

Scoti- the sensors are not that expensive. On the tuning I got a local guy that charges 250 for a base tune... then after days of driving the car/truck around he will come back for another 100 bucks to dial the combo in.
Tusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #81
Tusky

I know the way a vehicle is geared makes a ton of difference. I don't know much about automatic transmissions LOL. So I apologized for anything that may sound crazy about a transmission of choice or whatever.
I just basically want the truck to run strong at 55 to 70 mph.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #82
Tusky

Malibu- I never heard of that transmission or had no dealing with one of those but it sounds good.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:36 AM   #83
Hewfil1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusky View Post
Malibu- I never heard of that transmission or had no dealing with one of those but it sounds good.
You've never heard of the Muncie 465!?
Hewfil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:01 PM   #84
Tusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewfil1 View Post
You've never heard of the Muncie 465!?
Yes I heard of muncie... but not the numbers. People just say Muncie around here.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:25 PM   #85
Alex V.

No harm no foul. "Strong" varies by definition - I'd say my 454 pulls setups like yours "strong" because it could accelerate from 30 to at least 45 on an uphill on-ramp and sustain 65+ on any hills along the midwestern portion of I-64 or I-70, but if you want to go with the flow of traffic (85 miles an hour, jockeying in and out of the fast lane) on I-65 between Nashville and Birmingham or roll over mountain ranges with the cruise control set then no factory pre-'88 truck will do that.

The SM465 is the most common heavy-duty, "granny low" 4-speed manual used in our trucks from '67 or '68 until 4-speeds went out of style in the late 80's. The NP435 is a similar transmission, just from a different manufacturer and less common in Chevys. The TH350 usually came in 1/2 ton and light 3/4 ton trucks - the TH400's gear ratios are similar but it's much more stout in stock form, the 4L80 being a very close relative with a few strengthened parts and a moderate overdrive. The 700r4 became the 4l60, neither of which are overly durable without upgrades but they have a fast overdrive ratio.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:46 PM   #86
Tusky

I have yet to make my mind up on a tranmission due to time and money. Hopefully my work picks back up soon at Winchester. Since Trump got in office.... The bullet business not doing so well.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #87
GRADYS Performance

If you are using the LS motor and electronics put a 4L80E in it. You have the electronics to run it and the transmission has the strength, gearing and overdrive to do everything you want to do with it. Plus the fuel mileage and lowered engine wear of being able to tow in O/D will be better than a 4L60E or TH400.

As said in other posts, long wheelbase, 3/4 ton 3.73 gears, big brakes, trailer brakes, weight distributing hitch and a Dual Cam sway control are all your friends. It is not about the ability to pull the load. It is about the ability to Control the Load when something out of the ordinary happens. And sooner or later if you tow much it will. If you value your life and your equipment prepare for that as you choose your towing equipment.

Take into consideration that your load is always heavier than you think because you have to account for everything you take along, Tools, fuel, water support equipment, food, comfort supplies etc.

And we all seem to upgrade so when your flatbed trailer becomes an enclosed trailer will you have to update your tow vehicle or already have the vehicle you need. less expensive to do it right the first time.
GRADYS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:38 PM   #88
daddyjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRADYS Performance View Post
It is not about the ability to pull the load. It is about the ability to Control the Load when something out of the ordinary happens. And sooner or later if you tow much it will. If you value your life and your equipment prepare for that as you choose your towing equipment.

Take into consideration that your load is always heavier than you think because you have to account for everything you take along, Tools, fuel, water support equipment, food, comfort supplies etc.
Outstanding advice. I often see guys say "my 1/2 ton can pull 10,000 pounds all day long". I'm sure it can pull it just fine, but throw in some strong cross winds or a kid chasing a ball running out in front of you and you will see the reason to use the proper tool for the job. I have towed my Jeep with a Trailblazer, a half ton ford, and a half ton Chevy. They all got me there and back, but when the time came to get me a different truck I went with the 1 ton.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:37 PM   #89
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
Outstanding advice. I often see guys say "my 1/2 ton can pull 10,000 pounds all day long". I'm sure it can pull it just fine, but throw in some strong cross winds or a kid chasing a ball running out in front of you and you will see the reason to use the proper tool for the job. I have towed my Jeep with a Trailblazer, a half ton ford, and a half ton Chevy. They all got me there and back, but when the time came to get me a different truck I went with the 1 ton.
I agree w/this 100%. I towed 1/2 ton swb Chevys w/my 1/2 ton swb Chevys for years w/o issue but I knew I was pushing my luck. While short, across town hauls is what I used the trailer for mostly (moving new projects here/there) I definitely would not have ventured out on a cross country trip @ highway speeds loaded like that. The weight of the load would push it all over under less that desirable circumstances.

That's when I started looking for a crew-cab square body (I wanted a 3/4 ton single wheel). But, a board member had a CC dually & just like that we swapped trucks. I think a 3/4 ton would be the optimal step up (not too big, not too small etc).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:11 PM   #90
Tusky

What advantages will a 3/4 ton will have over a 1/2 ton?
If both was a single cab long wheel base pick up. Only difference I personally see is that the 3/4 ton has more lug nuts.....
Old 02-24-2017, 05:02 PM   #91
Alex V.

Higher capacity:
Frame
Springs
Axle
Tires
Brakes

And not an absolute rule but in most instances heavier duty transmission and different engine equipment - more/bigger fluid coolers, different/less emissions apparatus, etc. There is a substantial difference, it just all got put under the same body panels. In stock form I can differentiate a 10 series truck from a 20/30 series truck as it drives by, without seeing the emblem - just little hints in tire size, stance, etc. give them away.

With 1,000 lbs. in the bed, for an "average equipped" truck:
The 1/2 ton will be squatting substantially
The 3/4 ton will be sitting slightly lower than normal, maybe dead level front to back
And the 1-ton (even a single-rear-wheel model without optional super stout springs) will be sitting 2" lower than normal ride height.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:15 PM   #92
dieseldawg142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex V. View Post
And the 1-ton (even a single-rear-wheel model without optional super stout springs) will be sitting 2" lower than normal ride height.
1 ton would not even notice a thousand lbs...
my camper loaded is 2500+, and the truck does not drop one bit. when i hook on the trailer as well, then it comes down a couple inches.
G52 springs, 4600lbs cap.
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:23 AM   #93
Alex V.

4,600 per side? Ahh, I was going by the way my 3,750 and 3,900 lb.-rates act - stock springs for a SRW fleetside. But I'm sure that's true of the heavier springs.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:57 AM   #94
Tusky

The 3/4 ton sounds nice... is it thread on here showing nothing but 3/4 tons all nice, suited n booted ? Like "let's see those 3/4 tons" if so link me to it here on this thread. Thanks
Old 02-25-2017, 10:00 AM   #95
Alex V.

Not sure about squarebody 3/4 ton pic threads, but here's some factory literature and 20 and 30 series specs:

A couple of newer K20's:

This looks like a C20:

Last edited by Alex V.; 02-25-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:21 AM   #96
Alex V.

oldcarbrochures.org or https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-...tion-kits.html is a good place for pics and detailed specs on all these trucks.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:23 PM   #97
Tusky

Thanks!! Very helpful info
Old 02-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #98
wilkin250r

Many of the 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons used the exact same size engine, but the 3/4 tons had stronger axles, stronger springs for load capability, and stronger brakes for stopping power. I've heard a rumor that the 2wd frame is different from 1/2 to 3/4 ton, but the 4wd frame is the same on both. I cannot confirm 100%.

But, since the major difference between the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton is NOT the engine, but rather in the brakes/springs/axles, that gives you a little clue as to what YOUR priorities should be for towing and load capabilities also.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:14 PM   #99
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRADYS Performance View Post

And we all seem to upgrade so when your flatbed trailer becomes an enclosed trailer will you have to update your tow vehicle or already have the vehicle you need. less expensive to do it right the first time.
That's an excellent point....

took me 30 years to do it, though.

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:27 AM   #100
Tusky

Been awhile since I updated here. I finally got my hands on a truck. The truck is a 97 model 3/4 with a 454ci . The truck pulls good but I'm looking to upgrade to some nice wheels.