The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
ShinyC10

Unhappy Right turn signal HONKS!!!

So I've had this problem for awhile now and can't remember if it started when I replaced my turn signal lever on my 1986 p/u. Everytime I signal right, my horn goes off. Left signal is okay though. Ive posted about this before I believe but maybe some new ideas might help. I've looked at just about all the wires in the turn signal/horn circuits and haven't found a bad wire.only place I haven't checked is in the steering column. I have the steering wheel off just to have it out of the way but don't really know what to look for in there that might be causing an issue. I took a test light to the long skinny plug on the side of the column and shows right when the turn signal gets flipped the horn spikes in voltage. Any ideas? Can't get it inspected till this is fixed
ShinyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
damnyankee36

Re: Right turn signal HONKS!!!

That's a weird one. Does the horn honk every time the signals flash or is it constant anytime the lever is flipped?

What wire is it that you get voltage when the lever is flipped? IIRC, the only wire that triggers the horn at that location is the black wire which gets grounded by horn switch. Could it be that this wire is getting pinched to ground somehow at the turn signal switch/lever area?
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #3
ShinyC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnyankee36 View Post
That's a weird one. Does the horn honk every time the signals flash or is it constant anytime the lever is flipped?

What wire is it that you get voltage when the lever is flipped? IIRC, the only wire that triggers the horn at that location is the black wire which gets grounded by horn switch. Could it be that this wire is getting pinched to ground somehow at the turn signal switch/lever area?

The horn honks only when the signal flashes. And it's the black wire that gets voltage when the signal turns on. That's the horn wire I'm assuming
Old 08-13-2017, 06:41 PM   #4
damnyankee36

Yes, that's the horn wire. However, it should show voltage when the horn is NOT honking. When the horn honks, that wire is grounded by the horn switch which drops the voltage to zero. When the horn switch is opened then the wire will show voltage. That's because the power is coming from the horn relay coil. It has constant voltage applied to the other end of the coil.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:44 PM   #5
damnyankee36

Something is grounding that wire every time the turn signal flashes. Don't know how. Everything on the turn signal circuits operate by switching power not grounds. Hmmm...
Old 08-14-2017, 01:02 PM   #6
ShinyC10

Quote:
Something is grounding that wire every time the turn signal flashes. Don't know how. Everything on the turn signal circuits operate by switching power not grounds. Hmmm...

How do you take off the metal plate that is located underneath the plastic gas cap in the steering column. I've been stuck on that part for the past day so I haven't been able to check the wires inside.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:00 PM   #7
scoot_mcgrute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyC10 View Post
How do you take off the metal plate that is located underneath the plastic gas cap in the steering column. I've been stuck on that part for the past day so I haven't been able to check the wires inside.
You will need a Lock Plate removal tool like this one to get the snap ring out

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Perfor...4aAhn9EALw_wcB
Old 08-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #8
damnyankee36

AutoZone has them to buy or loan.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #9
gmachinz
Account Suspended

That would be an awesome prank-I'll have to remember this....lol. Sorry I'm no help here ��
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #10
damnyankee36

No, I'm serious! They have a loaner tool program. You buy the tool and return it like a typical part when you're done. Or, you can just keep it.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:53 AM   #11
ShinyC10

Quote:
No, I'm serious! They have a loaner tool program. You buy the tool and return it like a typical part when you're done. Or, you can just keep it.
Sorry for he late reply, been busy with work. So I had a few minutes before work today and got that metal retention plate off and took the three screws out that hold the plastic turn signal mechanism in and have that kind of dangling there. I'm stuck at this point, don't know how to check the wires inside this column or even how to take them out to check them. Is there a sequence of removing things to get the wiring out? I have already unplugged the long plug down under the dash.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #12
damnyankee36

Remove the T/S lever and the hazard switch button if you haven't already done so. It's a little tight, but you should be able to pull the switch and harness out from the end of the column. If there is a pinched wire you shouldn't have to pull it but a couple inches or so to see this. Just enough to see where the harness starts to turn flat and goes down inside.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:27 PM   #13
ShinyC10

Quote:
Remove the T/S lever and the hazard switch button if you haven't already done so. It's a little tight, but you should be able to pull the switch and harness out from the end of the column. If there is a pinched wire you shouldn't have to pull it but a couple inches or so to see this. Just enough to see where the harness starts to turn flat and goes down inside.
Sounds good. I'll check that out
Old 08-20-2017, 03:35 PM   #14
truckster

Don't! That's a very rare safety feature designed to keep pedestrians safe. GM knew you wouldn't always look the right before you make a turn, and this way the pedestrians know you're coming.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:45 PM   #15
ShinyC10

I pulled the harness for the column out and no pinched wires. I'm gonna dig a little more. the problem is finding where the wires are loomed together
Old 08-24-2017, 11:16 PM   #16
ShinyC10

I DID IT!!!!!! Here it is guys. One of the pins in the fuse box was bent somehow and crossing over from the horn to the right blinker. (Bottom right of the picture)
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2017, 11:20 PM   #17
damnyankee36

Ibedamn! Thought I've seen it all. Good find.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #18
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

I was concentrating on the TS switch like everybody else and forgot that the two front turn signal lights are powered by the light blue and dark blue wires that run through the firewall block. If I would have been thinking I would have advised you to unplug your column plug and put power on the right turn wires (dark green for rear and dark blue for front). That would have blown the horn and isolated the steering column switch.

The other thing you would have seen is that when you blew the horn, the right front turn light would have come on. I don't imagine anyone would have noticed That from the drivers seat tho. I'm thinking you should have seen the light in the dash if you blew the horn, but who's looking.

Anyway congratulations on finding the problem.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote