The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2013, 05:22 AM   #1
shadwolf

Choke dash label question

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new around here, and have searched past posts for the answer to this question but couldn't find where it had been asked before...

I see that on those dashes with manual chokes there seems to be two different ways they're labelled on the dash - one with it apparently part of the dash panel as seen in the top most pic in this post:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200203

and one where the label for the choke is on a plastic add-on tab, seen in the second picture in that post.

Why the difference between the two? Is it year-model difference? Does anyone make reproductions - or know where to find - the plastic add-on tab?

Thanks
shadwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:54 AM   #2
Steve Hafner

Re: Choke dash label question

. . . .

I put a " wanted choke plate " ad in the WTB ( wanted to buy ) area of this website and bought the one pictured below for $10 a few months ago.

I'm not sure why some are " added on " - it might be since the 67 - 68's have the wiper and light switches both on the left of the dash, they put the choke in the upper right. I think only the base engines had a manual choke. The 67 - 68 trucks with an automatic choke had a choke delete plate on the upper right corner of the dash, like in the second picture, below. I've never heard of anyone making a reproduction of the choke plate.

Someone else might know more about it.

. . . .
Attached Images

Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
hugger6933

Welcome to you from East AR. My 68 GMC doesn't look like either of your pics, it had an add on button looking thing. I will try to look at my 68 parts truck tomorrow to see what it is like. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
GuyO

I wish I could find a plate only that says "wiper". I bought wiper delays from Roger (twouvakind) and prefer to have the reostat dash mounted so I could have both, 1) the hi/lo/off and 2) the delay. I have a Burban with rear air and it came with a Rear Ac plate on the left side of the cluster.
Attached Images

GuyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
shadwolf

Thanks for the info you guys. Steve, I found your ad in the WTB section and messaged too_much_stuff, he still had one available. I appreciate the info and the pointer

hugger, hello from central Ar. Nice to see someone from close by on the site.

GuyO, I didn't know they made a plate like that. The choke one seems fairly common - just not reproduced - the throttle plate I'd imagine would be less so, and now I find out there's a rear AC plate, which I'm sure is really uncommon. I wonder if there are any other dash plates?
shadwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadwolf View Post
Thanks for the info you guys. Steve, I found your ad in the WTB section and messaged too_much_stuff, he still had one available. I appreciate the info and the pointer

hugger, hello from central Ar. Nice to see someone from close by on the site.

GuyO, I didn't know they made a plate like that. The choke one seems fairly common - just not reproduced - the throttle plate I'd imagine would be less so, and now I find out there's a rear AC plate, which I'm sure is really uncommon. I wonder if there are any other dash plates?
The ones i have saved over the years are... (some are from big trucks)
Choke
throttle
Diff lock
Fuel stop
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
GuyO

I didn't realize there were so many different types of them! I had only seen manual choke and rear AC. That said, you gave me an idea. I think I will make one for the wiper delay from an old broken cluster I have and place it under the main wiper switch on the right side! I can make more from other clusters I know of. So the Burban will have 4 knobs, the Blazer and GMC SWB will have three knobs (except on the right side both say "wiper" above the knobs)
Attached Images

GuyO is offline   Reply With Quote