The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2017, 11:41 AM   #1
jfnar

Need help with aftermarket steering column please.

I have two questions about the steering column in the attached photos. (1) Can someone identify the brand? The guy I bought it from didn't know. (2) How is the round plate with all the notches in the edge removed? It appears to be pressed on but I don't want to mess something up trying to remove it. The little plastic tube for the horn contact spring is broken and I'm trying to repair it.

Any help will be appreciated.
Attached Images

jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:41 PM   #2
Doug's68SS

Re: Need help with aftermarket steering column please.

the steering lock plate is pushed down and the circlip is removed and it will come off.
Doug's68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:44 PM   #3
Burbor

A tool like this will help a lot: https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-64.../dp/B004KED7RU

Powerbuilt 648466 Steering Wheel Lock Plate Removal Tool

Search YouTube for "Steering Wheel Lock Plate Removal", you'll find a bunch of videos. The retaining ring is a bit of a pain to get out of the groove.
Burbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:00 AM   #4
jfnar

Thanks for the info. I picked up a tool at Advance Auto last night and removed it in about 5 minutes. I never would have know about the retaining ring. I was hoping to find some numbers or markings to identify the manufacturer so I can order a new horn cam but no such luck. But it looks just like the ididit part so I ordered one from them. If it doesn't work I'll resort to JB Weld. Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:34 PM   #5
68c10airstream

It's been more years than i care to remember but the horn contact plastic piece you need could be called a turn signal cancel cam. Does the under side of the white plate have a couple of high points or wings 180 degrees apart?? If so than that is what it is. As you turn a corner with the turn signal on, when you straighten out the steering wheel this white plate with the wings raises the signal switch latch and it returns to center (turn signal flasher off).
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #6
jfnar

I'm still working some bugs out of this column. It's an automatic column but I'm using it with a manual transmission. I'm assuming that the lock plate is intended to lock the steering wheel when put in park. If so I don't really need it. I got a new cancel cam from Ididit and it's identical to the old one except the hub is not counter-bored as deep as the original. It's too thick to get the retaining ring in the groove with the lock plate but I think it would work without the lock plate. The pictures I've seen on ididit's site show it installed with no lock plate. Does that seem like it would work? It won't take much time to try it but I don't want to break something else and ruin the column. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.