The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2018, 12:06 AM   #1
Kswigington

Beginner - Gauge Cluster Install

Hello all,
I am new to the thread and recently purchased a 1972 C20. It has a 350 engine and 700r4 transmission. I also purchased an Intellitronix Gauge cluster to go in it. After reading some threads on here I realize I might should’ve saved for an upgraded cluster. Either way, I thought I’d go ahead and install and roll the dice. My problem is, I really have no clue how to trace these wires down that have to be hooked up. I don’t have a ton of experience working on cars.. does anyone have any advice or can point me in the right direction?
Posted via Mobile Device
Kswigington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Beginner - Gauge Cluster Install

welcome2: to the furum.

This is a conversion thread from the 3 gauge light cluster to the seven gauge cluster but you should just be able to plug yours into the new one unless it uses a different connector. In any case the thread will point out the wires and where thay go.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=588853

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:22 PM   #3
'68OrangeSunshine

If you have the Deluxe dash panel with a mechanical oil pressure indicator, disconnect the oil line before pulling the instrument panel off. This way you don't damage the oil line. Also don't turn the engine over w/ the the oil gauge disconnected, or motor oil will squirt all over your boots. The electrical connector is OK to disconnect with the detached panel leaning toward you.
Also. you will need to pull the Headlight Switch Knob, Wiper Knob and Choke Knob [if any], then unscrew their chrome bezels so the dash panel is free. I find an old pair of needlenose pliers, ends in the 2 holes, and twisted CCW works well.
The lights knob comes out all the way if you find the ''secret'' button on the top of the switch. Push it down and you can remove the knob and 4'' shaft. The wiper knob has a small set screw on its collar. Turn the screw back and it comes off. The choke knob may twist off. IDR.
Good luck.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #4
randy.powell

And it will make it easier to remove/install the cluster if you unbolt the steering column and drop it down...
RP
randy.powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:43 AM   #5
Kswigington

Awesome! Thanks for all the help. I got the old one out and disconnected. The only thing I’m unsure about now is how to wire the new oil sending unit. The old one had the brass line. This one is electrical. It only has one post with a black knob. Do I simply attach the wire to this and run it straight to the Gauge cluster? Idk how to attach a picture here..
Old 07-25-2018, 07:57 AM   #6
dmjlambert

To post pictures, click the Go Advanced button if you see one below where you are typing your reply. Then scroll down and click the Manage Attachments button. A dialog will pop up that you can use to upload pictures.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:38 PM   #7
tdangle

You should have gotten a new oil pressure sending unit with your gauges. You will need to remove the fitting and tubing from the back of the block, screw the new sending unit in where you removed the fitting and run a wire from the new sending unit to the gauge cluster.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:53 PM   #8
Kswigington

Bam! Got it! Now, one last question.. I’m trying to wire the tach. It’s my understanding that the wire goes to the negative post on the coil. Problem is I can’t find the coil. I know they’re usually close to the distributor.. but I can’t seem to find one. Is there any other options? Is it possible it doesn’t have a coil?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2018, 09:57 PM   #9
dmjlambert

Pictures! Pictures needed.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:11 PM   #10
Kswigington

Here’s a couple
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2018, 10:13 PM   #11
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kswigington View Post
Bam! Got it! Now, one last question.. I’m trying to wire the tach. It’s my understanding that the wire goes to the negative post on the coil. Problem is I can’t find the coil. I know they’re usually close to the distributor.. but I can’t seem to find one. Is there any other options? Is it possible it doesn’t have a coil?
Posted via Mobile Device
There is a good chance that your truck has been converted to a coil-in-cap HEI distributor. But like dmjlambert said, some pics will help ID what you have. EDIT: I just noticed you posted some pics while I was typing up this response, and yes, from what I can see there, you do have an HEI distributor.

The HEI will have a little "snout" sticking off the side of the distributor cap where the power & coil wires connect. The terminal that connects to the negative side of the coil is labeled "TACH".
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:11 PM   #12
dmjlambert

Yes, ray_mcavoy said it before even seeing pictures.

Here's where the coil is in the cap.

Name:  coil.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  21.7 KB

For your next project may I suggest get rid of plastic gas filter, they tend to break open and spill gas on the exhaust manifold, which is hot. A metal-case fuel filter can be put on the low pressure side of the fuel pump, instead of on the high pressure side going into the carburetor.
Name:  fil.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  41.9 KB

Don't keep the rubber fuel line forever, they don't last with gasohol.

That is a nice engine compartment, it looks like it was made prettier than stock. Let's see some pictures of the whole truck, and the cluster, we like to see pictures around here.