The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2002, 03:15 AM   #1
hellbilly

64 front end swap

Hey guys I just bought a 64 c-10 and was wondering what later model trucks could be used as a donor for a complete front end swap. I also want a power booster and m/c. Those manual drum brakes scare the hell out of me I've got a strong engine but I'm scared to get on it. By the way this is a great message board. Thanks
hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 09:02 PM   #2
jiggs
poker face

Don't quote me on this, but everything from '62ish to 1987 (88-92 sub and blazer) can be used. In '80-'81 everything changed to metric. Take some mesurements from about a '76 and see if it will work. I think it will. There will be a few holes on the vertical part of the frame rail that will need to be slotted and 2 new holes drilled. If your suspension looks the same as a '67, then it will definately fit.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:01 PM   #3
hellbilly

Thanks jiggs for the start. I should be able to measure and start searching the junkyards this weekend. I'm going to try and take pictures of everything I do for a web site. So far I havent been able to find anything like that to help me.

Hellbilly
hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 02:16 AM   #4
jiggs
poker face

I went out and looked at my truck, and the suspension. I converted my '68 to '78 front suspension. The control arms, spindles, steering are different between the two years, but if you take the whole system you will be OK. That includes the crossmember. Measure frame width and if the frames look the same as far as bends and such. You will have to dimple your left frame horn to fit power steering. You will see what I mean. They started putting the dimple in the horn in mid '68. Best thing to do is take a torch and hack the frame off behind the suspension and take the whole thing home. A lot of bolts will be a real bear to get off.

One more thing. In '70ish GM started making the rear diff wider. You may want to grab a diff out of a truck newer than '70-'71. That way you will have 5 bolt all the way around and have the same width track front and back. It makes the truck look better too with the wider stance IMO. If you have the trailing arm suspension, they stopped making that design in '72. You are then limited to 71-72 for the diff.

Good Luck!!

Last edited by jiggs; 09-13-2002 at 02:26 AM.
jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 03:12 AM   #5
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

if the 64 has the common IFS under the front just like any other later truck then its a direct swap from any truck that year til 88.

yes the arms shafts design changed on 1/2 ton trucks only in 73. but they stil will bolt onto 64-72 cradle and 64-72 arms will bolt onto 73-87 cradle.

3/4 and 1 ton all years are still solid style like on 64-72 1/2 ton trucks

the change to metric relaly only affected the casting of the p/s steering boxes, this happened in 1980, you still have to egg out a pair of holes when swapping any 73-87 cradle uder an older than 73 frame.

good luck
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote