The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #26
gearboxx70

Re: Home made burb headliner

While FRP is a great product for the headliners, its not the only game in town. I work with some cool plastics at work that come in different textures and colors.

One of those products is ABS plastic sheet. Many automotive parts are made from this, and it comes in several colors. The texture isn't as "thick" as the FRP, and its easily molded to shape with a heat gun.

Another one is "Sintra" (aka; expanded PVC). This also comes in many colors, but is much smoother than ABS or FRP. Its also easily molded with a heat gun.

We get both of these products from a company called Interstate Plastics, which is a national company.

I plan to use ABS for my Burb when I get around to making things pretty.

As for insulation, I'll be using R-Max from Home Depot. Lowes carries a similar product. Its basically rigid foam that comes in different thicknesses. The half inch should be perfect.

My plan is to coat the roof with some POR-15 (to get rid of the surface rust and yet leave some tooth for adhesive to grab), glue up the R-Max, and put up the ABS like others have done with the FRP.
gearboxx70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #27
RustySunShine

This is one for my library...

One question tho, does any one know if the '70 Burban roof pattern is the same as the '70 panel truck? I have a headliner for a Burban (in kind of rough shape) I can use as a template.
RustySunShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #28
vectorit
What?

I don't have enough back ground on the panel trucks to give a detailed response to your question, though I can say that the channels are not perfect in the Suburban. I have noticed variances in other Suburbans I have looked at, while comparing to my 1968 headliner board channel placement along the ceiling.

I think no matter what, every Suburban or Panel will require some custom fitment of the headliner boards.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:57 PM   #29
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
I don't have enough back ground on the panel trucks to give a detailed response to your question, though I can say that the channels are not perfect in the Suburban. I have noticed variances in other Suburbans I have looked at, while comparing to my 1968 headliner board channel placement along the ceiling.

I think no matter what, every Suburban or Panel will require some custom fitment of the headliner boards.
Chris - My apologies of bringing up an old thread, but how many sheets of the FRP did you use? I'm going to try and accomplish this task this weekend. Thanks for the help.

Rob
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:43 PM   #30
vectorit
What?

Hey Rob,
I used about 6 sheets, only because I messed up a couple times.
I tried to duplicate the number of panels that were used originally, and looking back, I think one could do the FRP route with larger panels instead smaller.

The front panel for me was the hardest, since it has a curve to it that is hard to duplicate on a flat sheet. I know I ruined one panel at least on that section, and one of the middle sections I cut too small.

So, if your store to buy these panels is far away. I would buy a couple extra just in case, and you can always return them if you don't use them.

Chris
Old 02-09-2017, 01:51 PM   #31
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Hey Rob,
I used about 6 sheets, only because I messed up a couple times.
I tried to duplicate the number of panels that were used originally, and looking back, I think one could do the FRP route with larger panels instead smaller.

The front panel for me was the hardest, since it has a curve to it that is hard to duplicate on a flat sheet. I know I ruined one panel at least on that section, and one of the middle sections I cut too small.

So, if your store to buy these panels is far away. I would buy a couple extra just in case, and you can always return them if you don't use them.

Chris
Thanks for the quick reply Chris! Fortunately, I'm only a few miles away from HD and Lowes, . Any suggestions on how you would have reduced the number of panels, ie which ones would you combine? Also, did you work your way from back to front or front to back when installing them?
Old 02-09-2017, 01:58 PM   #32
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Chris! Fortunately, I'm only a few miles away from HD and Lowes, . Any suggestions on how you would have reduced the number of panels, ie which ones would you combine? Also, did you work your way from back to front or front to back when installing them?
I worked from the rear to the front.
For me, the rear curve was easy and I was able to make that panel on the first try.
In the middle, there are two smaller panels like the original design. I think those two could be combined into one panel of FRP.

For me, it was a struggle since it was a very hot summer day and I was by myself. If you have a helper, this project will go much smoother. Since the panels get all floppy on you when trying to install them, so it's a challenge to get them into the slot when by yourself since your arms aren't long enough lol.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #33
Hart_Rod

Quote:
I worked from the rear to the front.
For me, the rear curve was easy and I was able to make that panel on the first try.
In the middle, there are two smaller panels like the original design. I think those two could be combined into one panel of FRP.

For me, it was a struggle since it was a very hot summer day and I was by myself. If you have a helper, this project will go much smoother. Since the panels get all floppy on you when trying to install them, so it's a challenge to get them into the slot when by yourself since your arms aren't long enough lol.
Thanks. Now that you have had it finished for a while, are you happy with the texture pattern? Do you have any close-up pictures of the of the trim next to the slot on the side?
Old 02-09-2017, 03:17 PM   #34
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Thanks. Now that you have had it finished for a while, are you happy with the texture pattern? Do you have any close-up pictures of the of the trim next to the slot on the side?
Hmm, happy? Well, it sure looks better than nothing lol.
But if I wanted to be critical of it, I would say it's a bit shiny, and texture is a little aggressive?

In a perfect world, I would've preferred something like the original. Which was smooth, matte painted, and perforated. But as we all know, those OE boards are impossible to restore and no one is making them. So, we make do...

There was another member here that is local to me, and did the FRP route as well but instead of white he used black. His burb was painted a bright blue with white roof, and his carpet/upholstery was black. So it kind of popped.

Not sure I understand the "Trim next to the slot on the side" question.
But the slot or gutter that the panel sits in on the sides, I didn't do anything with as far as trimming it out.
The trim I used for the butt joint of each panel is that plastic H trim that is found in the same isle as the FRP.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #35
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Hmm, happy? Well, it sure looks better than nothing lol.
But if I wanted to be critical of it, I would say it's a bit shiny, and texture is a little aggressive?

In a perfect world, I would've preferred something like the original. Which was smooth, matte painted, and perforated. But as we all know, those OE boards are impossible to restore and no one is making them. So, we make do...

There was another member here that is local to me, and did the FRP route as well but instead of white he used black. His burb was painted a bright blue with white roof, and his carpet/upholstery was black. So it kind of popped.

Not sure I understand the "Trim next to the slot on the side" question.
But the slot or gutter that the panel sits in on the sides, I didn't do anything with as far as trimming it out.
The trim I used for the butt joint of each panel is that plastic H trim that is found in the same isle as the FRP.
I thought about black, but I'm not sure how well that would look with my black carpet,black and white houndstooth seat covers, and black door panels....I need someone to photoshop the second picture I found with the white headliner and make it black. Maybe that will help me decide.

I found a picture of what I was talking about, it's where the divider piece intersects the gutter.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2017, 04:30 PM   #36
vectorit
What?

Mine looks just like that.
That picture of the headliner done looks perfect. Mine, the panels aren't as flat and uniform as that one. Makes mine look bad lol..
Old 02-09-2017, 08:28 PM   #37
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Mine looks just like that.
That picture of the headliner done looks perfect. Mine, the panels aren't as flat and uniform as that one. Makes mine look bad lol..
I think they both look good! Thanks for answering all of my questions, .
Old 02-10-2017, 10:49 AM   #38
Hart_Rod

Chris - did you put any insulation on your roof? I put a layer of Fatmat but was thinking about putting a layer of close celled foam (CCF). Do you think it would be worth it or just a waste of $$$?
Old 02-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #39
Bigdav160

I used Reflectix under my headliner. And I also left the factory foam pieces in place.

It's not summer yet but I'm optimistic it'll help with the radiant heat from the sun.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #40
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
I used Reflectix under my headliner. And I also left the factory foam pieces in place.

It's not summer yet but I'm optimistic it'll help with the radiant heat from the sun.
There was a foam piece on the portion of the roof over the driver/passengers head, but not from there back.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:57 PM   #41
vectorit
What?

I didn't put any sound deadening material on the roof or the panels.
It is something I think I want to do some day, since the inside of my burb is very noisy just cruising down the road.

I used 3 layers of sound proofing on my floor in font, and on the inside of my door panels. Just ran out of materials from the roof area.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #42
Hart_Rod

Quote:
I didn't put any sound deadening material on the roof or the panels.
It is something I think I want to do some day, since the inside of my burb is very noisy just cruising down the road.

I used 3 layers of sound proofing on my floor in font, and on the inside of my door panels. Just ran out of materials from the roof area.
Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #43
Bigdav160

I'm pretty sure my headliner had never been out. There was paper faced white foam, about 1/2 thick under the perforated board.

In the very front was sound deadener attached the the roof panel.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #44
HO455
Post Whore

[QUOTE=Hart_Rod;7854325]There was a foam piece on the portion of the roof over the driver/passengers head, but not from there back.[/QUOTE]

I'm more interested in the heat insulation factor over the sound deadening. I will be using some of the Reflectix type of material as I got a bunch of it cheap. I was planning on trying to put two layers of it up. I have all the pieces of the original headliner material, but the PO glued cloth like the type that covers speaker cabinets on the perforated panels and now they are all distorted (from the extra weight?). Can't wait to see how yours come out.
My 67 has a pebbly (?) looking type of asphalt/tar sound deadener over the front seat area only.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #45
vectorit
What?

I think the stick on stuff like fatmat or dynamat or the like would be best for the ceiling, just as long as it was applied well and no air bubbles allowed to exist.
The ceiling gets some condensation during the cold weather, and then the heater being on the ceiling will get wet. Just gotta be aware of that when putting stuff up there, since you wouldn't want to create a pocket or a source for moisture to collect causing rust.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:06 PM   #46
HO455
Post Whore

Moisture??? Condensation??? What are these things? In northwest Oregon I don't believe we talk about water in that way. Good points Vector it. I may have to rethink my plan.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #47
Hart_Rod

I made it to Lowes this weekend and looked at the FRP. I found 2 different colors of white. One was a really bright white and shiny and the other one was kinda an egg-shell color and satin. I'm going to use the egg-shell/satin one. I think it looks pretty close to the stock color of the factory headliner (could be wrong). I've attached pictures of both, but I don't know if you will be able to tell the difference (first one is satin, second one is shiny).
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #48
PortHeadlight

Re-posting these dimensions from earlier posts on headliners...
Attached Images

PortHeadlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #49
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortHeadlight View Post
Thanks for reposting. I got my rear panel made last night. I'm debating on whether or not I want to combine the 2 center panels into one. In theory, it seems like it would make the installation easier. Here's a couple of crappy pictures. Will try to take some better ones today or tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #50
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortHeadlight View Post
Thanks for the repost.