The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2017, 10:39 PM   #1
Redcap

77 K35 driving me nuts, no fuel to carb

A few days ago, I dropped the tank out and bypassed the selector valve, replaced fuel lines as well since they were all dry-rotted badly. Now I cannot get fuel to the carb. Replaced the pump and blew back through the soft lines with the compressor, I could hear air hitting the tank through both the supply line and the return line. Hooked everything back up and still no fuel to carb. It is making me crazy, none of it makes sense. I've been messing around with it for 8 or 9 hours today and still no progress, cranked it until the battery pulled down too far.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:43 AM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: 77 K35 driving me nuts, no fuel to carb

Any chance you kinked the rubber lines when you raised the tank? The compressor air might be opening the kink enough to let compressed air into the tank while the kink collapses under suction from pump.

Any chance you swapped the supply and return when you hooked up the new rubber?

Have you tried running a piece of rubber line from the metal frame line to a small can of gas to test the pump and take the gas tank out of the loop as a test?

Probably stupid question but is there gas in the tank you dropped?
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #3
Redcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Any chance you kinked the rubber lines when you raised the tank? The compressor air might be opening the kink enough to let compressed air into the tank while the kink collapses under suction from pump.

Any chance you swapped the supply and return when you hooked up the new rubber?

Have you tried running a piece of rubber line from the metal frame line to a small can of gas to test the pump and take the gas tank out of the loop as a test?

Probably stupid question but is there gas in the tank you dropped?
I was pretty careful to pull on the lines after raising the tank, but I suppose it is possible. I'll check again today once it warms up a little outside.

The supply should be the 3/8" and the return should be the 1/4" (which is how it is hooked up), the 5/16" vent isn't blocked either. I haven't run a short hose into a gas can to test that yet, but it is on the schedule for today. As far as fuel being in the tank, after I dropped the tank out the other day, I drove into town and fueled up so that tank is now completely full...hence my irritation at the prospect of having to drop it again!
Old 03-19-2017, 09:06 PM   #4
Redcap

Got it. There was a piece of plastic in the pump that was covering the output to the carb.