The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2018, 05:27 PM   #1
regan56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Regina Saskatchewan Canada eh!
Posts: 63
55-59 ride heights

Hey all.

hoping i can get some help here. im curious to know what your ride heights are for your particular setups say from bottom for frame to ground at the back and front. are you stock or do you have a drop of any sort?

i have my rear gear mounted to my frame (mid70's gear, springs and rear-end, under a stock 56 GMC frame) and im almost thinking its too high in the back just given the eyeball test, and a tape measure. 28" to top of naked / empty frame. currently have 275/60r15s under it, overload spring removed so theres 7 leafs left. if anything i would mount my axle above the springs and not below.

how much can i expect the frame to drop once i get the body on it?

this will also help me to determine if i want a drop in the front end when i order my Heidts setup.
thanks for any help...
regan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:21 PM   #2
mdpaulson1
Registered User
 
mdpaulson1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: concord ca
Posts: 159
Re: 55-59 ride heights

56 chevy on 56 frame.
I have mustang ll front with 2" dropped spindles and in the back I have a 3' drop TCI leaf setup. the axle is mounted above the leafs with 2" lowering blocks. Never has axle touched the frame, yet I have a C-notch ready to install if it does. From ground to bottom of frame in front is 7.5" and 16.5" in the rear. I 235s on 17" rims all around and will sometimes rub the front going into a sharp driveway ( just a little).
Attached Images
 
mdpaulson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #3
regan56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Regina Saskatchewan Canada eh!
Posts: 63
Re: 55-59 ride heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpaulson1 View Post
56 chevy on 56 frame.
I have mustang ll front with 2" dropped spindles and in the back I have a 3' drop TCI leaf setup. the axle is mounted above the leafs with 2" lowering blocks. Never has axle touched the frame, yet I have a C-notch ready to install if it does. From ground to bottom of frame in front is 7.5" and 16.5" in the rear. I 235s on 17" rims all around and will sometimes rub the front going into a sharp driveway ( just a little).
what ratio of tire you have there? 65 or 60?
regan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:29 PM   #4
mdpaulson1
Registered User
 
mdpaulson1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: concord ca
Posts: 159
Re: 55-59 ride heights

55, wanted to a little lower profile with the larger rims
mdpaulson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
regan56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Regina Saskatchewan Canada eh!
Posts: 63
Re: 55-59 ride heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpaulson1 View Post
55, wanted to a little lower profile with the larger rims
thk you sir..just comparing teh size to teh 275s i have.

nice truck BTW. i like the patina look
regan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:00 PM   #6
mdpaulson1
Registered User
 
mdpaulson1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: concord ca
Posts: 159
Re: 55-59 ride heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by regan56 View Post
thk you sir..just comparing teh size to teh 275s i have.

nice truck BTW. i like the patina look
I can't blame anyone else on the look, I bought it bone stock from a Uncle in 1972. I do plan on painting it the original color that you see on the fender.
But as we know here that isn't as easy as it sounds. I have to rebuild hinges on doors, fix some rust ,make sure body lines are right before I can start that project. I keep holding out for a cameo bed as well
mdpaulson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
regan56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Regina Saskatchewan Canada eh!
Posts: 63
Re: 55-59 ride heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpaulson1 View Post
I can't blame anyone else on the look, I bought it bone stock from a Uncle in 1972. I do plan on painting it the original color that you see on the fender.
But as we know here that isn't as easy as it sounds. I have to rebuild hinges on doors, fix some rust ,make sure body lines are right before I can start that project. I keep holding out for a cameo bed as well
True enough. Cameo bed eh..I like the SSide bed but it's your truck right. I'll be looking for a visor for mine too when the time comes.
regan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #8
mdpaulson1
Registered User
 
mdpaulson1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: concord ca
Posts: 159
Re: 55-59 ride heights

I got the visor from classic, just don't get as physical as I did when installing it and break the windshield. the price for the visor got expensive at that point
mdpaulson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:17 PM   #9
Dan in Pasadena
Registered User
 
Dan in Pasadena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 5,632
Re: 55-59 ride heights

I'm not a visor guy on these trucks because they kinda have a visor look stock just like the '56 F100's do.

But I'd have LOVED to have a Cameo bed for my truck before it got final paint. I actually found a set of Cameo bed sides on Craigslist but then I looked into the availability and cost on all the accessories including the spare cover, tailgate latches and things like some of the bed side trim which is not reproduced. It gets REALLY expensive fast so I passed on the bedsides.

I really like your truck as-is too. But I totally "get" repainting it the factory color. I'll post one that isn't quite the same color but I loved it when I saw it I considered doing mine is way. Whatever color you end up choosing it'll look great.

Will you keep the fender mounted spare? Used to be I would not have wanted one. But now I kinda dig them. Have you ever seen one with a spare on both sides? You have to find a Canadian passenger side fender to do that. it's kinda cool.
Attached Images
 
__________________
'55 Big Window Shortbed,
Drive-It-&-Work-On-It slid down the "slippery slope" to a Frame-Off Rodstoration! LQ4/4l85e/C4 IFS/Mustang 8.8 rearend w/3.73's

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:34 AM   #10
mdpaulson1
Registered User
 
mdpaulson1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: concord ca
Posts: 159
Re: 55-59 ride heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I'm not a visor guy on these trucks because they kinda have a visor look stock just like the '56 F100's do.

But I'd have LOVED to have a Cameo bed for my truck before it got final paint. I actually found a set of Cameo bed sides on Craigslist but then I looked into the availability and cost on all the accessories including the spare cover, tailgate latches and things like some of the bed side trim which is not reproduced. It gets REALLY expensive fast so I passed on the bedsides.

I really like your truck as-is too. But I totally "get" repainting it the factory color. I'll post one that isn't quite the same color but I loved it when I saw it I considered doing mine is way. Whatever color you end up choosing it'll look great.

Will you keep the fender mounted spare? Used to be I would not have wanted one. But now I kinda dig them. Have you ever seen one with a spare on both sides? You have to find a Canadian passenger side fender to do that. it's kinda cool.
There is a company that reproduces the trim, sides, bumpers and tail lights.
http://www.trucksandroadsters.com/cameo/index.html
costs a fortune but I can always dream. I missed a bed on CL for 4k a while back, cheap compared to
mdpaulson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #11
regan56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Regina Saskatchewan Canada eh!
Posts: 63
Re: 55-59 ride heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpaulson1 View Post
56 chevy on 56 frame.
I have mustang ll front with 2" dropped spindles and in the back I have a 3' drop TCI leaf setup. the axle is mounted above the leafs with 2" lowering blocks. Never has axle touched the frame, yet I have a C-notch ready to install if it does. From ground to bottom of frame in front is 7.5" and 16.5" in the rear. I 235s on 17" rims all around and will sometimes rub the front going into a sharp driveway ( just a little).
How much gap you have btwn your frame and the axle? Assume you dont have bump stops? What kind of rear end you have?.like I said I have a mid 70s rear end, springs and axle and I've only got 5 inches of gap there with the axle under the springs...
regan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #12
Black_Sheep
Registered User
 
Black_Sheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: upper midwest
Posts: 531
Re: 55-59 ride heights

I can't take measurements because the truck is disassembled for body and paint, but here's how my '58 sits. Static ride height with a little rake...
Attached Images
 
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:41 PM   #13
regan56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Regina Saskatchewan Canada eh!
Posts: 63
Re: 55-59 ride heights

just got my axle flip kit from Performance Online..weekend work!
regan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:54 PM   #14
_Ogre
Senior Member
 
_Ogre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Motown
Posts: 6,324
Re: 55-59 ride heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by regan56 View Post
28" to top of naked / empty frame.
worthless measurement unless you throw 2500 lbs of weight on top
__________________
cool, an ogre smiley Ogre's 58 Truk build

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
photosuckit fix for chrome
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:59 AM   #15
regan56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Regina Saskatchewan Canada eh!
Posts: 63
Red face Re: 55-59 ride heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
worthless measurement unless you throw 2500 lbs of weight on top
agreed, however with the lack of such weight just hanging around, thats the only measurement i have. Unless i get busy and really set to work on eating alot less healthy
regan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com