The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
Mr.Jones

Fleetside Bed Repair

Guys,

Good Evening,

Would it be difficult to repair this? Thanks in advance for your input!!!
Attached Images

Mr.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #2
mechanixman

Re: Fleetside Bed Repair

Depends on how good your fabrication skills are!
It doesn't seem too difficult. As long as the rust only goes through two of the surfaces in the corner, it shouldn't be awful. Just bend a piece of metal to weld from the back of the bedside to the bottom of the bedside.

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
Mr.Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanixman View Post
Depends on how good your fabrication skills are!
It doesn't seem too difficult. As long as the rust only goes through two of the surfaces in the corner, it shouldn't be awful. Just bend a piece of metal to weld from the back of the bedside to the bottom of the bedside.
Thank you for the quick reply. You made it sound easy. I have no type of fabrication skills, but I am learning. I was hoping to keep the body line. But, from looking at the repair, it looks like I will have to stitch weld the entire line.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:34 AM   #4
Mac the Yankee

There's a pretty nice Fleetside bedside (passenger side) on Ebay right now- might be work a look?
Mac the Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:50 AM   #5
OrrieG

Welcome to the world of Fleetsides where no metal for the beds is reproduced except tailgates. Mine had the 1/4 sphere bottoms cut off for a lift gate when I got it. Also lots of dings to the back from loading bricks, concrete, etc. Bottoms were rolled up from backing into ditch banks and logs. I got the bottom corners at a wrecking yard off a 63 bed (they are the same in that area from 58-67). I beat the rest out. I don't understand your comment about the body line, the vertical line is a joint between the back piece and bed side spot welded when they join. I have an old fender I use to practice on, I cut lines with a sawsall and weld them up, drill holes and weld in plugs. Good way to dial in your welder before hand. good thing is the truck have relatively thick metal and grinders are your friend as long as you control the heat. I did not have the rust to deal with.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
Mr.Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Welcome to the world of Fleetsides where no metal for the beds is reproduced except tailgates. Mine had the 1/4 sphere bottoms cut off for a lift gate when I got it. Also lots of dings to the back from loading bricks, concrete, etc. Bottoms were rolled up from backing into ditch banks and logs. I got the bottom corners at a wrecking yard off a 63 bed (they are the same in that area from 58-67). I beat the rest out. I don't understand your comment about the body line, the vertical line is a joint between the back piece and bed side spot welded when they join. I have an old fender I use to practice on, I cut lines with a sawsall and weld them up, drill holes and weld in plugs. Good way to dial in your welder before hand. good thing is the truck have relatively thick metal and grinders are your friend as long as you control the heat. I did not have the rust to deal with.
Thank you sir.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
BC Toy chest

No worries just look at a bunch of photos of what everyone has been welding and practice on some similar thickness scrap metal that is like the bed side you will be doing your stitch welds on and you will do fine. Please post some pictures of your truck. My work aint as pretty as other folks but it holds up I am always learning and confidence is building. If this is your pet project and you got a passion for it you will learn quick and will surprise yourself with what you can do the skill will come.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=432758
BC Toy chest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
Mr.Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Toy chest View Post
No worries just look at a bunch of photos of what everyone has been welding and practice on some similar thickness scrap metal that is like the bed side you will be doing your stitch welds on and you will do fine. Please post some pictures of your truck. My work aint as pretty as other folks but it holds up I am always learning and confidence is building. If this is your pet project and you got a passion for it you will learn quick and will surprise yourself with what you can do the skill will come.
Thanks for the encouraging advice. Pictures will be coming soon.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #9
pbeguy

Not that long ago, I saw a complete NOS end piece for this bed on Ebay. It sold for 220.00 but is exactly what you need. There may be more available.
Attached Images

pbeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
Mr.Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeguy View Post
Not that long ago, I saw a complete NOS end piece for this bed on Ebay. It sold for 220.00 but is exactly what you need. There may be more available.
Thank you for all the help.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:53 PM   #11
Mr.Jones

Can I utilize the lower half of this bed cap (1960-66) to repair the lower half for my older fleetside bed caps (1959)? Can't figure out way the sizes are different for both pictures. Sorry. Thanks in advance for your input.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
OrrieG

I do not know if they are the same. I use a woodworking profile tool to check stuff like that. Mine is 12" long, for longer lengths I transfer the measurement to a piece of cardboard and make a template. Good for working on door edges, etc when they are off the cab. Also use if for checking profiles from one good side of a part to the other side I am working on.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #13
Mr.Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
I do not know if they are the same. I use a woodworking profile tool to check stuff like that. Mine is 12" long, for longer lengths I transfer the measurement to a piece of cardboard and make a template. Good for working on door edges, etc when they are off the cab. Also use if for checking profiles from one good side of a part to the other side I am working on.
Thank you. I am going to give this a try.