The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2018, 01:37 PM   #1
Mike_The_Grad

Pulling the 250 i6 and 4-speed with granny low gear from 1964 c10

I've been utilitizing my resources trying to find out how to get these out of my truck. I have everything prepped and ready to pull the combo. Hood is off, shifter is out, driveshaft is out, rad, fan, linkages, fluids drained, etc. No trans tunnel cover (p.o. hacked it up)

I don't much care how it comes out except that I'm not removing the front clip. I have an engine hoist and a 3 ton floor jack. I don't know squat about manual transmission and clutches. I don't know about input shaft this, clutch alignment that... lol. I'm pulling them out for cleaning and paint possible overhaul if it's needed but I doubt that it will. They were running fine 2 weeks ago. New valve cover and manifold gaskets, paint, and what not while the engines on the stand. Any help as far as engine and bell housing vs. trans and bell housing removal from truck. Im pretty much tackling this by myself. I do have a hand for the heavy lifting but no help in the actual wrench work.
I've pulled the 350/th350 from my 72 c10 myself and that was with the front clip off. This is a different scenario though.
Thanks in advance!

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #2
whateverpratt

Re: Pulling the 250 i6 and 4-speed with granny low gear from 1964 c10

Personally, I'd drop the trans (4 bolts from the trans to the bellhousing), then I'd pull the motor and bellhousing. You'll have it pretty easy since you removed the hood. I've always left the hood on. I've pulled and replaced a 230, 5.3, and a 350. I usually leave the bellhousing bolted to the crossmember and just unbolt the trans then the motor from the bell, but I've seen a lot of people take it all out in one piece.
whateverpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:46 PM   #3
Old Truck Man

If it was me I would leave the granny 4 speed and bellhousing in the truck. Its really simple to take apart and reinstall that way. You can remove the floor mat and unbolt the center floor pan to gain access to the trans and bellhousing to clean and paint then. You are going to have to remove the center floor pan any how if you try and remove the engine and trans as a unit.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #4
Old Truck Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverpratt View Post
Personally, I'd drop the trans (4 bolts from the trans to the bellhousing), then I'd pull the motor and bellhousing. You'll have it pretty easy since you removed the hood. I've always left the hood on. I've pulled and replaced a 230, 5.3, and a 350. I usually leave the bellhousing bolted to the crossmember and just unbolt the trans then the motor from the bell, but I've seen a lot of people take it all out in one piece.
You cant remove the trans without removing the center high hump floor pan. the trans top sticks up thru a hole in the floor. there isn't enough room to slide the trans back far enough for the inpuit shaft to clear the bellhousing. Now you could support the trans on a transmission jack. then remove the engine and bell as a unit then drop the trans straight down.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:02 PM   #5
whateverpratt

My truck was originally a 3 speed, so I didn't have a high hump floor pan. I cut up the low hump for the sm420 when I swapped it. I further butchered it when I swapped in the nv4500. There's not much left of it, and the stall mat that I use as a floorboard covers it nicely. I would advocate removing the op's trans cover as well, but he said he didn't have the trans cover.

To the OP: all the manual transmission stuff in these old trucks is pretty simple. Just take your time when you put it back together. The clutch disc needs to be centered when you tighten the pressure plate down, but other than that, everything's pretty much just bolt it together.
whateverpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:18 PM   #6
dmulally

Hi Mike,

I pulled my 250 and 4 speed a month or so ago. With the radiator out as you have I didn't need to take the bonnet/hood off.

I just took off the cover over the gearbox and then took the shifter off the SM420. There were maybe 6-8 bolts holding the top of the gearbox/shifter on.

The best advice I can give you is to get a load leveling device that goes on your hoist. If you have it angled front to back you can turn the handle and swing the rear of the engine up or down that way.

My 250 came out with gearbox attached and the swear jar was relatively empty.
dmulally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:40 PM   #7
CousinTone

Mike, if you were just a bit closer, I’d come help but OC to Santa Paula is a slog. Stick with the advice above bad Bob’s your uncle.
CousinTone is offline   Reply With Quote