The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > S10 S15 Luv Blazer Classifieds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Exclamation paypal gift option on sales.

I am sure a nicely worded post will be made soon For now this will have to suffice.

Asking for paypal gift option as payment is a no no. Just because the site rules do not say NO PAYPAL GIFT OPTION, does not mean it is ok. To use this service, other than getting a gift is defrauding paypal, and illegal. Illegal activities and fraudulent practices are both topics in the site rules.

The pay with paypal gift deal, has been an issue for a while. It seems to be getting out of hand now. If you do not want to pay the dollar or two fees to use the service, than perhaps you should go back to using money orders.

So in conclusion, if you ask for someone to pay using the gift option you will likely find your self with a suspended account. If you knowingly pay using the paypal gift option, and then get taken for a ride, sorry.. the seller will be removed but its your own issue.

If you have an ad running now that asks for payment via gift option, you should probably edit it. Just saying
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
60-66

Re: paypal gift option on sales.

Thank you Liz. I found this out the hard way guys, got a call from Paypal, YES they do monitor this stuff. Every once in awhile I need to send a couple bucks to my daughter in the US Army. Paypal stated this would end for me if I continued to sell and receive payment as a gift. They were very nice explaining this to me. I got the message loud and clear. My reason for accepting the gift payment was to keep prices low. Its the cost of speed and business I guess. THANKS for all you do on these sites Liz!! Jon
WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Bump!
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
jabborabbo

Yeah, I never felt comfortable using the gift route to pay for stuff, especially since the fee was never more than a few bucks...I would just add the fee to the asking price...
jabborabbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
twouvakind

Time to explore other options or pay the fee's associated with PayPal. Start here: https://square.com/cash
I will offer Square as a payment option for my wares from this point forward as it is fee free. I will still offer PP as a payment option but the buyer will have to make up the fee's.
twouvakind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
kingsolver72
10/30/19

I just hope people don't start using bitcoins here.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:38 AM   #7
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by twouvakind View Post
Time to explore other options or pay the fee's associated with PayPal. Start here: https://square.com/cash
I will offer Square as a payment option for my wares from this point forward as it is fee free. I will still offer PP as a payment option but the buyer will have to make up the fee's.
I would review the reviews a bit on square. They have been around for years.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:18 AM   #8
Blown06

Quote:
I've been using Square for years and they charge 2.75% roughly per transaction. The fee comes out of the money the receiver is getting. The percentage has never scared me away though, money has always been transferred into my bank account in a timely manner. It's a great service but it isn't fee free so to speak.

My project: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=646563
Blown06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:22 AM   #9
70cst

What I do when selling with PayPal payment. Add 3% into the selling price. This way you are covered. Plus if one pays as a gift ... PayPal will not protect you if you end up with a bad deal.

Agreed the "Gift" option for goods is not a good thing.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:27 AM   #10
w314speed

I have always sold items with the PayPal option for payment, but with the buyer adding 3% for fees. It is the ease for the buyer to send the money that is attractive and since I also offer check or money order they have options. I have people that short me and use the gift option, so I get burned on occasion. Or, they add the 3% for item and not the shipping fees. PayPal charges for the total amount.

As a board, all sellers should refund the improper payments and demand payment be made correctly with fees paid for PayPal, prior to shipping merchandise.

That would make us "all above the board" members in good standing!
w314speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
twouvakind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown06 View Post
I've been using Square for years and they charge 2.75% roughly per transaction. The fee comes out of the money the receiver is getting. The percentage has never scared me away though, money has always been transferred into my bank account in a timely manner. It's a great service but it isn't fee free so to speak.
The smartphone app to send $ is free, it is connected to your debit card. Try it for free and they send a real dollar to your account, also free. I choose to use it because it is free, I choose not get involved with(Square)swipe or manual credit card entries because they are not free. With 2.75%(+/-)per transaction you might as well stick with PP.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #12
Blown06

Quote:
The smartphone app to send $ is free, it is connected to your debit card. Try it for free and they send a real dollar to your account, also free. I choose to use it because it is free, I choose not get involved with(Square)swipe or manual credit card entries because they are not free. With 2.75%(+/-)per transaction you might as well stick with PP.
I got ya, I guess I'm behind the times on that one. 99.99% of the time I'm accepting cc swipes or direct entries from my iPad or phone.

My project: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=646563
Blown06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #13
twouvakind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown06 View Post
I got ya, I guess I'm behind the times on that one. 99.99% of the time I'm accepting cc swipes or direct entries from my iPad or phone.
Don't get me wrong...I am connecting a secondary debit card to the app! Square is a proven product but just in case it somehow suffers the fate that many credit card processing/merchants have as of late...at least my primary debit card/account won't be breached.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:23 PM   #14
nobolt

I thought we were ALL friends here............but I guess 3% is fair in most cases.

"... government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. Thomas Paine

"It wasn't a lie, it was ineptitude with insufficient cover." Donald Draper (Mad Men)
nobolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #15
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

OK, 3% added to PayPal payments and no more "gifted" payments. I hate to do it, but with the extra $300 a year that I pay the board to sell on here, I can't take any more losses.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #16
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Paypal or credit cards makes no difference to me. They both charge fees, just credit cards not as much. I consider it a cost of doing business. Not accept either or to charge to do so cost business. I am not a gas station that feels the need to charge a payment fee to accept someone's business. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #17
Lee H

Just my humble opinion, I find it very difficult to believe anybody that sells parts have their prices cut so close that the $2.75 cent fee on a $100.00 sale represents a loss, or for that matter a dent in the margin. If a .0275 fee on sales breaks the bank you are in the wrong business. Peace, Lee

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:45 PM   #18
TBONE1964
Cluster King

All above are great thoughts and here is what I am thinking.

Yes like Wes stated, this is a cost of doing business and I would not lose a customer over it. My typical price on a restored tach cluster for a 67-72 pick up is $550.00 and 3% is $16.50 plus I usually include shipping with that price. Maybe now, I will charge for shipping. For me, there is not a whole lot of profit margin on selling restored gauge clusters for the time I invest in one. I also will take money orders as well as personal checks as long as payment is verified before shipping.

The real important thing to consider here is if you buy something from someone and pay with paypal as a gift and that person does not deliver, you have lost your money. When you pay for "goods and services" you are covered under paypal purchase protection and can get your money back if the seller does not deliver what you paid for.

Just my thoughts,
Have a good weekend,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:05 PM   #19
Homebuilt Hotrods

Personally I've been on both sides of the PayPal issue. Paypal paying the fee seems to be great for buyers but not so much for sellers. Again this is just my opinion. I have sold a mint model t door on another site well described with great pics a few months ago for 500 bucks. It was shipped and arrived in perfect shape. The guy never tired to get ahold of me instead filed a case with paypal and I was out my door plus 500 dollars for over a month while it got sorted out. I decided to refund because I was sick of waiting and needed to sell the door to pay bills. Then got my door back and resold it for a 300 dollar loss. All because he changed his mind and paypal gave him a way out. Ill likely go back to mailing money orders, but again sucks for sellers cause the "checks in the mail" only goes so far when you need the cash.... Who knows. Anyways thanks so much admin for the reminder and update.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:24 PM   #20
Homebuilt Hotrods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobolt View Post
I thought we were ALL friends here............but I guess 3% is fair in most cases.
Agree But will follow whatever rules if I decide to buy or sell on the board again.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #21
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICKMUP View Post
OK, 3% added to PayPal payments and no more "gifted" payments. I hate to do it, but with the extra $300 a year that I pay the board to sell on here, I can't take any more losses.
I am only quoting you because you put the % on. SO please do not take this as pointing to you.

Using the gift option for anything other than gifting is fraud. Asking people to pay for sales with gifting is essentially tax evasion. There are plenty whom PayPal has gone after.

I fully understand the paying extra cutting into everything. For years this site was run out of pocket and on minimal income. "We" paid fees on any donation sent in via paypal, and taxes on all sent in via money order. It is part of business as a whole. If you know you have 3% fees, then add it to your price. It is no different adding shipping and handling etc.

As for square deal, phone ap etc. I read a little on it, not much, I do need to read more.. but it appears they have a huge complaint rate for the last year.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #22
redbaron

I've been ask by many sellers on the board to send paypal as a gift after I say I'll take it. This puts me in the position of a liar. To prevent this I add 3% and now fell ripped off by the seller. Glad to see the board moderators bring this issue up and put a stop to it. Thanks
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #23
thelonerife

I will no longer ask for fees to be paid by the purchaser on a paypal purchase. I'll try to edit my posts that I have.
thelonerife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:54 PM   #24
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Why not? If you want to charge the fees go ahead. Asking for gift payment is the issue. I myself would work the dollar or two into the asking price
Old 11-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #25
thelonerife

Thats what I'll do. Just easier and it gives the buyer some assurance that he can have some protection. I never ask for gift payment but I can see where some people will be hesitant to purchase that way. I've been asked to do it that way and crossed my fingers. I think this is a good thing. Its gets everybody on the same page.
thelonerife is offline   Reply With Quote