The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
1970FathomBlueMalibu

Difference in ride height for 2WD vs. 4WD?

Taking different tire heights out of the equation.......is there a difference in ride height for the 2WD vs. 4WD trucks?

I'm curious if 2WD models' (mine's an '08) suspension sits the truck lower, so that tire clearance might be an issue, if I went with a bigger than stock tire size.

Kind of a confusing question, but I don't know how to spit it out much differently today.
1970FathomBlueMalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

Re: Difference in ride height for 2WD vs. 4WD?

I know the previous gen trucks (99-06) the 4x4 sat higher. My 07 classic with just keys cleared my 33" nittos.

The new trucks have much bigger wells and I didn't notice a huge difference between my 09 2x4 and my buddies 09 4x4.

What size tire do yo want to run? I am running a 2.5" spacer and i have zero rubbing with the same 33's.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
1970FathomBlueMalibu

I would like to try a set of 285/70/17's. I know that 265/70/17's will fit with a decent amount of room. This is for the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radials.

I'm not using any spacers. Is that something I need to look into?

I just want to make sure that there is no issue with a full turn of the wheels or really any fitment issues at all. I really don't want to put on a lift kit for this truck, since it's a 2WD. I just have fairly rough terrain to go over every day, since I live in a rural area, plus I'd like to fill up the wheelwell as much as I could.

33X11.50R17 is the advertised specs and 32.8" diameter, as measured by Mickey Thompson.

Section width is 11.4".

Tread width is 9.1".

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970FathomBlueMalibu View Post
I would like to try a set of 285/70/17's. I know that 265/70/17's will fit with a decent amount of room. This is for the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radials.

I'm not using any spacers. Is that something I need to look into?

I just want to make sure that there is no issue with a full turn of the wheels or really any fitment issues at all. I really don't want to put on a lift kit for this truck, since it's a 2WD. I just have fairly rough terrain to go over every day, since I live in a rural area, plus I'd like to fill up the wheelwell as much as I could.

33X11.50R17 is the advertised specs and 32.8" diameter, as measured by Mickey Thompson.

Section width is 11.4".

Tread width is 9.1".

Thanks!
Your going to need a spacer lift or your going to trash the tire/fender with those tires.

My tires are very similar in dimension and the 2.5" spacer works well(no rubbing). I installed it myself in about 1.5 hours in the garage.

http://www.ccmoffroad.com/shop/index...ct_detail&p=23

Old 04-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
1970FathomBlueMalibu

So, I'll need a lift kit? How and where do the spacers install? Any tricks to it? What brand did you use and how much did it cost?

If I have to lift it, I might just get the 265's.

What size and brand tires are you using?

Thanks for your help.........
Old 04-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

Quote:
So, I'll need a lift kit? How and where do the spacers install? Any tricks to it? What brand did you use and how much did it cost?

If I have to lift it, I might just get the 265's.

What size and brand tires are you using?

Thanks for your help.........

Your gonna have to lift it to clear the tires you are shopping.....

I am running 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers

I got the spacer from the link above......(Less than $100 shipped)

Install was pretty straight forward with there instructions. The spacers go on top of the factory springs.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
1970FathomBlueMalibu

Actually, the Nitto Terra Grapplers were the other tire I was looking at.

How is the ride and road noise? Have you gotten into any offroad or dirt road/mud situations with them? How many miles do you have on them?

Overall impressions of the Nitto's? Would you buy them again?

What engine and gears does your '09 have? What size were the original tires on your truck?

You've been a big help so far!

Last edited by 1970FathomBlueMalibu; 04-05-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:09 PM   #8
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

Quote:
Actually, the Nitto Terra Grapplers were the other tire I was looking at.

How is the ride and road noise? Have you gotten into any offroad or dirt road/mud situations with them? How many miles do you have on them?

Overall impressions of the Nitto's? Would you buy them again?

What engine and gears does your '09 have? What size were the original tires on your truck?

You've been a big help so far!
09 6 speed 5.3 with the 3:42 gears

I like the nittos as there fairly priced look great and have very little road noise. There is no doubt that a bfg all terrain might be a little better off road. the nittos are pretty hard.

I would never really take my 2x4 offroading but I used to have the same set up on my traded in 07 classic Z71 4x4 and that truck went anywhere.

I thing my original tires are 245's

Truck still rides the same with the spacers...better than the 07 did with the key lift.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
1970FathomBlueMalibu

I have a 4.8 with the 4 speed auto and 3.23 limited slip. Man, I wish I had more motor. And gear.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
1970FathomBlueMalibu

I just ordered the 2.5" leveling kit today. Starting to get pretty excited about doing some things to my truck, since this will be the first things I've done in the 2 years I've owned her.

BTW, Cole, did you have GM custom-make a program for your truck, after changing the tire size?

My brother doesn't think it's necessary with these tires being 2.5"- 3" taller, but I'm on the fence about it.

He can easily modify the tire pressure limits, if I run anything different with the new treads.

What kind of pressures do you run in yours?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:52 PM   #11
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

Quote:
I just ordered the 2.5" leveling kit today. Starting to get pretty excited about doing some things to my truck, since this will be the first things I've done in the 2 years I've owned her.

BTW, Cole, did you have GM custom-make a program for your truck, after changing the tire size?

My brother doesn't think it's necessary with these tires being 2.5"- 3" taller, but I'm on the fence about it.

He can easily modify the tire pressure limits, if I run anything different with the new treads.

What kind of pressures do you run in yours?
I havent done anything tuning waise at this point. The speedo is probably off by 5-7 mph at freeway cruising speed.Truck drives and shifts fine...plus the good news is its showing less mileage being put on the odo.

You will need to swap your tire pressure sensors to the new rims/tires. it tells you how to manually re set them in the manual. if you need any help let me know.

There are a couple options for tuning....easy hand held (diablo sport.superchips) more advanced you could get a custom tune with hp tuners.

Congrats on the upgrades.....did you pick wheels/tires yet?
Old 04-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #12
LEEVON

Quote:
I have a 4.8 with the 4 speed auto and 3.23 limited slip. Man, I wish I had more motor. And gear.
same here, and my tires are a bit taller than stock. mileage sucks and you find yourself going 85mph all the time on the highway. I'm planning on a cam and 4:10 gears to wake it up.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #13
1970FathomBlueMalibu

I'm actually only going with tires at the moment. I don't particularly care for the factory chrome work wheels, but I don't have enough scratch to replace them right now.

If I did, I'm thinking the coated Torque Thrusts look kinda cool. I'd like to see more pics of 07+ with aftermarket stuff, tho, to make a choice.

My brother is a GM tech, so he can do all the tuning for tire size and pressures, if it's needed.

I have the 3 year/36K warranty. So, with one more year left on that......well, I'll be looking at gears around this time in 2011.

Oh.........I had a flat today, just as I was getting home from work. So, that's 2 of them that's done this. I have just under 28K on them. They look like chewed bubble gum at this point.

I haven't decided if I'm about to try to plug it or let the factory spare hit the ground for the first time.

BTW, LEEVON, I see you're from Arkansas and so am I. What part?

And who's making aftermarket cams for these 4.8's?

Last edited by 1970FathomBlueMalibu; 04-28-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #14
1970FathomBlueMalibu

Check that. I have TWO flats. Geez. Now things are getting ridiculous.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #15
1970FathomBlueMalibu

I received my leveling kit from CCM last night. They look to be very quality pieces.

I'll be installing them, along with new 285/70/17 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ radials, in a week and a half.

I'm pretty excited.........
Old 04-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #16
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

Quote:
I received my leveling kit from CCM last night. They look to be very quality pieces.

I'll be installing them, along with new 285/70/17 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ radials, in a week and a half.

I'm pretty excited.........
Congrats....

Post some pictures when your done. It should look alot different
Old 04-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #17
1970FathomBlueMalibu

I'll definitely try to post pics.

What entailed putting this leveling kit on? The instructions that CCM sent me say it's for a "lift kit" and not a "leveling kit" and it looked to be a lot more work than I anticipated.

I just know that they discern between the 2 kits on their website, so I'm really thinking they sent me the wrong instructions.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #18
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

Quote:
I'll definitely try to post pics.

What entailed putting this leveling kit on? The instructions that CCM sent me say it's for a "lift kit" and not a "leveling kit" and it looked to be a lot more work than I anticipated.

I just know that they discern between the 2 kits on their website, so I'm really thinking they sent me the wrong instructions.
It was a single page instruction sheet....like 1-20 (take your time its easy... do what they say and your golden. I tried to speed up the install and skip some steps and had to take the spring back out and do it the way they said)

Pretty easy actually. I think I tossed the instructions or I would scan and email them to you. Give them a buzz and see if they can email or fax you the correct sheet.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #19
1970FathomBlueMalibu

I put the new tires on this weekend. Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radial 285/70/17's with a CCM 2.5" leveling kit in the front.

The truck looks GREAT! It rides smooth with only a hint of tire noise. It's almost soothing in that way, actually.

I've started with 40 psi, but I think that's a tad much, as I can see the new-tire-nipples only wearing in the middle, after approximately 150 highway miles. My brother set my tire pressure sensor's at 40, so I'm going to drop them to about 37 psi and see how they do. That shouldn't set off my tire light. Whatever I do get it set to, I'll go back and have him reset those sensors to the proper range for me. I hate having any warning lights on.

I think I'll give Mickey Thompson a call and see what they recommend.

I'll try to post pics of before and after, tonite.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #20
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

Quote:
I put the new tires on this weekend. Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radial 285/70/17's with a CCM 2.5" leveling kit in the front.

The truck looks GREAT! It rides smooth with only a hint of tire noise. It's almost soothing in that way, actually.

I've started with 40 psi, but I think that's a tad much, as I can see the new-tire-nipples only wearing in the middle, after approximately 150 highway miles. My brother set my tire pressure sensor's at 40, so I'm going to drop them to about 37 psi and see how they do. That shouldn't set off my tire light. Whatever I do get it set to, I'll go back and have him reset those sensors to the proper range for me. I hate having any warning lights on.

I think I'll give Mickey Thompson a call and see what they recommend.

I'll try to post pics of before and after, tonite.
Nice....

I typically run my tires at 35psi cold. They typically roll down the road hot at about 37-38 psi. I feel like its a good happy medium for ride and fuel economy.