The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #26
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Re: If you have a little time and want to give me a hand

[QUOTE=GOPAPA;8783336]in why my car is making these ratting sounds ,, I am wanting to get it road worthy and sell it ..

I start up the car (1939 Chevy ) 235 cu in motor-- 5 speed T-5 tranny --1955 Bel Air rear end ,,and it sits there rattling with a sound like a throw out bearing going out..when I shift it rattles and after I shift it rattles .,while driving ,,,worse in lower gears than the high one like the 3RD and 4TH

Just sharing with ya all
The Latest on my rattle problem with my ol car.. The Transmission that the son and I overhauled turned out ok and still got a rattle sound ,,now on the 25th I am taking the car back to the machanic and have him install a new clutch and preasure plate ,, I figure it is a broken clutch spring ,, as that would be the "Snap Sound " I heard when I test drove it some months ago.. and therefore making a rattling sound..

Not sure if I need a 11 inch clutch or a 10 inch ,,so will have to take the old one out to find out ..

Name:  20180302_105811.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  46.0 KB
Old 08-12-2020, 08:59 PM   #27
Boog
laying low

Larry I don't know what generation 5 sp you have but I remember the first S10 pickups 5 speed trannys rattled from factory. Brand new trucks rattled sitting in neutral. Took back to dealer several times and was told that series trans used ATF instead of gear oil and it was going to rattle like that and would hurt nothing. Apparently so as those trucks ran plenty of hard miles without failures. I have forgotten if this trans is one that you've been running in the car for some time or if it's one you have recently put in it. Hopefully a new clutch and pp will cure yours.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:01 AM   #28
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Larry I don't know what generation 5 sp you have but I remember the first S10 pickups 5 speed trannys rattled from factory. Brand new trucks rattled sitting in neutral. Took back to dealer several times and was told that series trans used ATF instead of gear oil and it was going to rattle like that and would hurt nothing. Apparently so as those trucks ran plenty of hard miles without failures. I have forgotten if this trans is one that you've been running in the car for some time or if it's one you have recently put in it. Hopefully a new clutch and pp will cure yours.
I havn't looked up what generation 5 speed my tranny is ,,the reason I sought this one is that it is the last one of the manual speedometer ,,it is a 1987 S-10 truck transmision ,, I will add that it does not rattle in neutral,thx for info Boog
Old 08-26-2020, 06:03 PM   #29
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
I havn't looked up what generation 5 speed my tranny is ,,the reason I sought this one is that it is the last one of the manual speedometer ,,it is a 1987 S-10 truck transmision ,, I will add that it does not rattle in neutral,thx for info Boog
The clutch and preasure plate is fine and does not need replaced /the springs are ok... had a new drive shaft tube made as the one I had was to short and needed a couple inches more to fit properly .that wasnt it .. but it was to short

It drives like a brake is grabbing a wheel and making a shutter vibration
Next I will get rid of the E brake from the drive line and see it that is my problem

Letting the whole thing set a week or so . tired of it

Last edited by GOPAPA; 08-26-2020 at 06:19 PM.
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:37 PM   #30
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
The clutch and preasure plate is fine and does not need replaced /the springs are ok... had a new drive shaft tube made as the one I had was to short and needed a couple inches more to fit properly .that wasnt it .. but it was to short

It drives like a brake is grabbing a wheel and making a shutter vibration
Next I will get rid of the E brake from the drive line and see it that is my problem

Letting the whole thing set a week or so . tired of it
Cant say I blame you. I hate problems like these. Sometimes the best thing to do is walk away 'til you're less fed up with it.

Hate to say it but it'll probably be something really simple. Like the #10 washer that fell into the points on the LS7 in my boat that kept me from starting it for a week. Or the missing O ring that was supposed to go between one of the main caps and the block on the 454 in the red truck. Had the oil pan off 3 times and sealed back up as many for the 22 cent piece that I left out.

Hopefully the answer comes to you soon. I know how frustrating these things are..

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:52 PM   #31
GOPAPA

Ok ,,this probably is getting boring to you all ,,so only if you ask then will I respond with any more info on my thumping noise when driving the 39...

I took this E-Brake off so it could not work thinking it was broke and some how tightening up on the drive line brake disc...grabbing and making the clunking

Started up the engine and ran it in all gears and it still went into that clunking ,,,so while under there I found that the drive line would move the pinion up and down enough to make me think either its a worn out pinion bearing and maybe a worn out pinion and ring gear ,,with maybe a broken gear tooth,, (remember me saying I heard a SNAP when test driving just after the install of the transmision ... this is a photo of the E-Brake and disc that is mounted on the drive shaft..

So thats were I am right now ""looking into what it takes to fix the Rear End

Name:  13-C.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  39.9 KB
Old 09-18-2020, 09:50 AM   #32
GOPAPA

[QUOTE=GOPAPA;8783336]in why my car is making these ratting sounds ,, I am wanting to get it road worthy and sell it ..

Well ,after the money I have spent getting brakes along with Led lighting and repairs ,,and getting it worthy to sell ,,I will have to wait a couple years probably to get above cost of what I have in it..

Well.. no one ask ,,but just in case one of you are curious ,,this is the results of the work done at the drive line and rear end shop... All New Ring and Pinion Gears ,Axle bearings ,and Bearing kit .... it now has a rebuilt T-5 transmission ,....new U-joints and drive line ,and now a rebuilt to new rear end..
I drove it for about 25 miles and it shifts great from gear to gear ,,it raps up with the dual exhaust split manifold pipes sound with the 6 banger just like it did in my old 52 Chevy did years and years ago.

I have a daughter that just loves going to car shows with the the 39 and my 71 Truck I had ,,so money isn't everything when one can have fun with your daughter going to a show this next spring and summer,,can ya ?

Name:  0000000000.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  53.9 KB
Old 09-18-2020, 10:23 AM   #33
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I'm glad you figured it out...

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:13 AM   #34
67C10Step

You know, if you enjoy the car and can afford to keep it the nobody can fault you for it. This is a hobby for most of us so making the $$ make sense shouldn't even come into question.

Glad you got it figured out and something for others to remember if they have a similar issue.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:58 PM   #35
Boog
laying low

Thanks for the update Larry. We've been wondering. It should be more pleasurable to drive now.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 02:35 PM   #36
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I'm glad you figured it out...
I

I had called and talked to the old guy in Colorado who put the car together and he thought the rear end was in good shape when they put it in. So I did not think the rear end was the problem in the begining ,,the last thing was it. shoot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
You know, if you enjoy the car and can afford to keep it the nobody can fault you for it. This is a hobby for most of us so making the $$ make sense shouldn't even come into question.

Glad you got it figured out and something for others to remember if they have a similar issue.
Right now we have a donor for the wifes shots for RA and that takes a lot of our plate as to me keeping the car.. I do want to enjoy it for awhilwe befoere selling it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Thanks for the update Larry. We've been wondering. It should be more pleasurable to drive now.
thanks Boog , that does make me feel better
Old 09-18-2020, 08:54 PM   #37
blazer2007

Thanks for the update. I hate a murder mystery without a ending
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:49 PM   #38
Rich84

Thanks for the happy ending..
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #39
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
Thanks for the update. I hate a murder mystery without a ending
Thats funny right there blazer... I do not know if shooing a car is murder or not ,,but the car was close to getting something from me... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich84 View Post
Thanks for the happy ending..
your're welcome,,, to a very happy ending ,,that problem is fixed.. now I am putting the car on the back burner while I rebuild my garage into a work place .. I have my 5 inch x 6 ft Glu-Lam table top for a bench and solid old wood blocks (8"x 8" post to sit on and so on and so on..nothing pretty just usable..