The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
chastain90

My big block swap with manual transmission

I decided to embark on a big block swap since I had one laying around the shop. I couldn't find any info on a swap with a manual trans so I thought this would be helpful to people in the future. My main problem was trying to find a header that would clear the Z-bar clutch linkage. I tried multiple headers and finally found someone that would re weld the 4th tube on my driver side header. I used 2 different sets of headers on it. I have a hooker header on the driver side that was altered and a Summit brand for the passenger side that cleared the leaf spring and starter. I will add part numbers at the bottom. I thought of moving everything forward to clear but decided to clearance the firewall. I cut into it where the valve covers hit and added some sheet metal to create a box shape and make it work with tall aluminum valve covers. Also I had to bend the z bar where the clutch rod connects. Sitting the motor in was a pain. I had to take out the cross member in order to slide the motor onto the transmission shaft. once it was in, I had to lift the motor as much as possible and slide the cross member back in with the towers and tighten all the bolts up at the same time along with motor mounts. I used energy suspension poly motor mounts to increase the strength over the stock ones. The cross member tower and mount were all original besides mount and all for small block chevy and worked great. I will add pics to help explain all this easier.
Attached Images

chastain90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
chastain90

Re: My big block swap with manual transmission

First pic is hooker header before customization and 2nd is after. 3rd pic is the summit header for passenger side. 4th pic shows where I had to cut firewall and 5th shows where I had to bend z bar to make it work. Don't hate on my clutch rod and fork connection. Its working till I can make it better.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:07 PM   #3
chastain90

more pics. electric fan setup, full roller 454 .30 over. and break in on engine stand my father in law built.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2017, 04:08 PM   #4
chastain90

3rd pic shows where I was putting the cross member back in.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:09 PM   #5
chastain90

Finally the motor is in and pulley setup is on. P.S. I also had to take the brake booster off and move to the side so I could drop the motor in.
Attached Images