The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2018, 01:38 AM   #1
dracko

How bent is this frame?

Been working on my ‘64 swb fleetside for a while now. Recently had some buddies help install the new repop bed. It lined up good, but noticed quick that the rear drivers side frame rail is bent down about 1/2” lower than the PS rail.

Tonight I bolted up the cross rails that the wood sits on, with new rubber pads under them, and ran a string line across the top of the rails to the rear cross brace that the wood sits on. This brace is not on pads and shouldn’t be based on the LMC diagram.?

I was pretty surprised to see that when just touching the cross braces, the string is about 3/8” high of the rearest brace on the PS and prob 9/16” on the DS.

Wondering if i’m missing something or if it’s all assembled properly and actually is that bent from years of abuse. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Last edited by dracko; 01-22-2018 at 02:18 AM.
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:44 AM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: How bent is this frame?

I dont think using the bed cross sills will tell you if the frame is bent.
Once you get the body off, I built and used something like this pic shows, you can cross measure the chassis to ensure squareness. Be advised I wouldnt think 1/16" or so difference will be outrageous for these trucks. In fact someone with more knowledge and history than I can elaborate I'm sure.

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 01-22-2018 at 07:56 AM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:50 AM   #3
dracko

I should also mention that I did take the frame into an autobody shop to have the low DS rail brought up to match the PS.

The checked it for square and it is. But they failed to bring the rail high enough, that’s why I was out checking it over.

They also don’t have any specs on a 1964 frame, so they’re shooting for a symmetrical and square frame. That’s why I’m asking on here to get insight from folks that have been in this spot and assembled their bed and found all the rails to be inline or not?

To me, it seems like maybe the truck had a overloaded trailer that pulled the rear down after the bumpstops on both sides, but moreso on the drivers side.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:58 AM   #4
The Rocknrod

I see what you mean now. Well you can use shim to level it.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #5
ryanv70c10

Does the rear panel get mounted right on the frame, metal to metal or does it get a rubber pad as well? That would make up some of your distance.
ryanv70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #6
dracko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanv70c10 View Post
Does the rear panel get mounted right on the frame, metal to metal or does it get a rubber pad as well? That would make up some of your distance.
That’s also my question. I checked the LMC parts diagram and it shows rubber pads under all the cross rails except the end one. So I think it’s setup correctly.

I did attempt to put a pad under the rear rail but it’s not possible to line up the holes.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #7
JJ660

The Mar-K "Bed Mounting Information" shows a rubber pad between the bed sill and frame. Here the link to their Tips & Tricks page: http://www.mar-k.com/index.php?p=tips-and-tricks

Last edited by JJ660; 01-22-2018 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Spelling
JJ660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:46 PM   #8
TopFuel1966

After you have placed the bed on the frame and squared it, I think you'll find that your rear crossmember will need to be raised and shimmed between the mounting tabs and the frame accordingly so that the gaps on both sides between the back of the cab and the front of the bed are even from top to bottom and what you are depicting in the photos will not longer be a concern.
That was my experience anyway.

Last edited by TopFuel1966; 01-22-2018 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling
TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:38 PM   #9
dracko

JK660, thanks for posting that link, I looked through the tips and tricks and saw on the one post that they do say to use a rubber pad on the rear cross brace but it specifies stepside, doesn’t seem to have any info on fleetsides.

Thanks for the info Topfuel1966, I might end up having to just shim the rear up but wondered if this is common or if the frame is bent down. Also concerned the bumper will sit 1/2” lower than it should.

How much did you need to shim the rear of your bed?
Old 01-22-2018, 03:08 PM   #10
dracko

Well the frame shop is going to take it back for some more tweaking.

Just want to confirm that the rear brace where the wood sits should be level with the other cross sills? If someone has a relatively unmolested bed I’d appreciate it if you could check to see if there is a pad between the frame and cross sill.
I plan to get them to run a string line and bring the end frame horns up to the line.

Last edited by dracko; 01-22-2018 at 03:14 PM.