The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #1
WarMonger

newbie here with 72 blazer

Hello everyone on the blazer side. I just picked up this 72 blazer and have a few questions for you guys. I have a 70 C20 so I'm not completely retarded, but you never know what I will come up with.

So... I got this blazer and now my plans are to to convert it to 2WD and put it on the ground. I'm not going to bag it, but just use springs to get there.

1st one: I found a front clip/end for the blazer, so the rear is what I need info on. should I keep the rear axle I have, or should that go with all the suspension?

2nd: rear has leaf springs, so I was leaning more toward coils with trailing arms, what do you guys think?

3rd: should I sell front diff, 4 speed trans, transfer case all together or separate them?

Thanks guys. Here are some pics. I know when you post, you have to have pics.
Attached Images

1970 C20
-_--_--_- ______
_--_--_- /___|__\____
-_--_-_ |_(0)|__|_(0)]
1972 K5
WarMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #2
Lokin4AReason

Re: newbie here with 72 blazer

Welcome to the site ...

looks like a fun little ride =0)
Old 07-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #3
Jurassic-1

If you plan to lower it I think trailing arms would be easier to install and ride better. If you do you will need a different rear end. You can buy a custom aftermarket or get arms from a parts truck. I think selling the parts would be best. The parts will not be of use to you could generate cash for your build and parts sitting will deteriorate with time.
Jurassic-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:12 AM   #4
Blazerowner

Too bad you're not closer I would love to have a chassis to restore for my 72. You could sell it and use the cash to buy a 2wd chassis.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:36 AM   #5
elkniks

I am in the process of converting my 72 right now. I have the front done and working on the rear trailing arms. So far I feel that the front was more work than the rear but I'm not done yet. Spend some time on this website and check out gringoloco's build. I just installed my 4wd 12 bolt that I cut the leaf and shock pads off of and welded on the 2wd pads. Nice thing about using your old axle is that you can set your pinion angle before you weld on the pads. So far the hardest part on the rear is making up some coil spring mounts for the frame. I am going to look around here tonight but some times it takes a while to find that little piece of information that you are looking for. Here are a couple pictures of my original axle after new trailing arm pads installed. Also I have a 4wd pile that I need to get rid of also, or I might keep it and build some crazy wheelin rig!
Attached Images

elkniks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #6
Onalaska Blazer

I know it's just me...... But why would you go from 4x4 to 2wd. Why not just buy a 2wd suburban and cut it down.
Attached Images

Onalaska Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #7
WarMonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkniks View Post
I am in the process of converting my 72 right now. I have the front done and working on the rear trailing arms. So far I feel that the front was more work than the rear but I'm not done yet. Spend some time on this website and check out gringoloco's build. I just installed my 4wd 12 bolt that I cut the leaf and shock pads off of and welded on the 2wd pads. Nice thing about using your old axle is that you can set your pinion angle before you weld on the pads. So far the hardest part on the rear is making up some coil spring mounts for the frame. I am going to look around here tonight but some times it takes a while to find that little piece of information that you are looking for. Here are a couple pictures of my original axle after new trailing arm pads installed. Also I have a 4wd pile that I need to get rid of also, or I might keep it and build some crazy wheelin rig!
What you have done so far looks good.
1970 C20
-_--_--_- ______
_--_--_- /___|__\____
-_--_-_ |_(0)|__|_(0)]
1972 K5
WarMonger is offline   Reply With Quote