The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
ddr11

A/C Compressor Help

Ok Guys I haven't been on in a while, anyway I recently removed the factory 5.7 tbi motor and all ecm wiring from my 1987 R10. I put a 383cu in with all new billet serpentine belt system and new alt/ps pump and ac comp. the last thing I have to do is get the new 1wire A/C compressor wired. I saved a black wire to the original compressor set-up thinking that it was the hot wire. Now after doing some research it seems that its just a ground. My real question is.... apparently the original compressor wiring went through several things before it got power i.e fast idle, ecm etc. what color wire should I be looking for coming out of the fire wall to wire the compressor. Grn LtGrn ?
ddr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:34 PM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: A/C Compressor Help

Don't know about computerized systems but on my 75 the AC comp is a dark green, easily confused with the dark green temp sender wire. Check the wires on the low and high pressure switches on the passenger side. Probably that color as they are usually wired in series.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:47 PM   #3
Wwes

Re: A/C Compressor Help

Older trucks had two wires, one for the A/C idle solenoid (light green), and the dark green for the compressor clutch. TBI trucks handle the compressor load by upping the idle speed via computer.

A TBI truck should have one wire, dark green, that connects into the TBI engine harness via a single wire to control the clutch. The computer handled the idle bump, which you won't have anymore.
Wwes is offline   Reply With Quote