The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Axle plate "slot snap covers" What are these called and where can you get them?

Each axle plate has two slots and there's supposed to be a snap cover for each. Perhaps the plates are for multi-applications, and the covers help keep water off the brakes?

After near 50 years, one is broken, one is pitted, one is nice and the other MIA. Anyway, does anyone know what these are called? How about replacements? Thanks.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
CharlieBrown

Re: Axle plate "slot snap covers" What are these called and where can you get them?

I haven't seen the metal ones in parts houses....but I have seen rubber plugs that might work....they would be for the adjusting screw slot like on a 1/2 ton
1972 Cheyenne 2wd...named Death Row
CharlieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:08 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Axle plate "slot snap covers" What are these called and where can you get them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBrown View Post
I haven't seen the metal ones in parts houses....but I have seen rubber plugs that might work....they would be for the adjusting screw slot like on a 1/2 ton
I"ve read about this adjusting slot. Those plates are off a 1/2 ton. Maybe there was a variance in plates. Unless I'm missing something, these don't have an adjustment slot.

By the looks of it, they're called "Brake Backing Plate Dust Cover (Plugs)"
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 09-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
I"ve read about this adjusting slot. Those plates are off a 1/2 ton. Maybe there was a variance in plates. Unless I'm missing something, these don't have an adjustment slot.

By the looks of it, they're called "Brake Backing Plate Dust Cover (Plugs)"
I can't tell from the pictures, but there is usually a knock-out plug where the adjustment can be made. The rubber plug goes in after the plug hole is opened up. "Brake Backing Plate Dust Cover (Plugs)" is as good a name as any.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:32 PM   #5
AussieinNC

Not steel...but rubber...

Dorman 29000 Backing Plate Hole Cover

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-29000-.../dp/B000CZ3UIM

Pack of four for $5 plus shipping

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I can't tell from the pictures, but there is usually a knock-out plug where the adjustment can be made. The rubber plug goes in after the plug hole is opened up. "Brake Backing Plate Dust Cover (Plugs)" is as good a name as any.

Sorry about the picture. I packed everything away for another day. They're steel covers that snap into place.

I'm new at this "business", but from what I know and see, the adjustment is done at the very bottom, which tells me these plates are multi-purpose. The slots aren't anywhere near the adjuster. And why would you need two slots anyhow? The adjusters I've seen for 71-72 C-10 at least, and era passenger vehicles are all like this.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
Not steel...but rubber...

Dorman 29000 Backing Plate Hole Cover

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-29000-.../dp/B000CZ3UIM

Pack of four for $5 plus shipping

I saw those too. 6" long? Ha............Dorman Products informs me this is the same part as Dorman 13964, and it is not application-specific - it is a "universal fit" part. It comes in a pack of 4. Don't try to make sense of the dimensions given by Amazon - it appears those dimensions are for the package itself. Here is what you need to know: The typical backing plate brake adjuster hole is 1" by 5/16". These plugs fit that hole. The "insert" part of the plug is 1 1/8" x (a hair over) 5/16" and the outside of the plug, the "cover" side, is 1 1/4" x 1/2".

They're probably correct, but I haven't measured. Good to know something is available. I'll try and locate the steel pieces, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for the input all, appreciate it.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:02 PM   #8
Wrenchbender Ret

Those slots are there to check the wear on the brake shoes. Any adjustment slot cover will fit.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:02 PM   #9
cleszkie

I have seen those plugs come in drum brake hardware kits that include the color coded drum brake springs. I believe you can also find them in just about any auto parts store "HELP" section that carries the various Dorman products.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:01 PM   #10
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
I have seen those plugs come in drum brake hardware kits that include the color coded drum brake springs. I believe you can also find them in just about any auto parts store "HELP" section that carries the various Dorman products.
Good to know. I'm ordering a spring kit anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
Those slots are there to check the wear on the brake shoes. Any adjustment slot cover will fit.
Ah ha.............A reason.