The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2015, 06:36 PM   #1
forestb

kick pannel vent seals

Where is the best place to get a set of kick pannel vent seals. I got a set that were made of cheep foam that only went around the edges and not at all like the originals. I installed then on the vents and kept them in the garage and they started to deteriorate within a month. If there is not a company that makes good ones what would be a good material to get in order to make my own.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:24 AM   #2
AcampoDave

Re: kick pannel vent seals

I ordered mine from LMC and got the same crapola you just described. I'm tired of the leaks and noise and have seriously considered smoothing my cowel and sealing the vents up. (But then summer returns and I'm glad I didn't do it.) If you find something good, be sure to let us know.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:11 AM   #3
63frankintruck

I also would like to know where to purchase good quality seals. (I'm currently looking for the vents and seals for my 63, as PO somewhere along the line had taken mine out and did not reinstall them)
63frankintruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
63burban
Chevy addict

I bought my seals from Classic Truck Parts and they seem to be holding up just fine.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #5
LT1 Burb

They are definitely crap, took me 2 sets to get one.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:06 PM   #6
65chevysub

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
I ordered mine from LMC and got the same crapola you just described. I'm tired of the leaks and noise and have seriously considered smoothing my cowel and sealing the vents up. (But then summer returns and I'm glad I didn't do it.) If you find something good, be sure to let us know.
I got some from LMC too and they didnt even fit. I got the seals to seal it to the sidewall. I eventually used a putty like stuff to seal them to the sidewall and now need the foam seals for the door itself.
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #7
61K10

I think i got mine from classic, will look at them as they are installed. I did take my doors apart (cut the rivets out) then installed seals ans used some small bolts/screws in place of the rivets.

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:07 PM   #8
The Rocknrod

You could buy the material from McMAster-Carr and cut it out yourself. They sell all kinds of rubber sheet, various sizes and durometer. You go down the left side and pick the color, thickness, size, durometer rating etc:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-ru...heets/=104hnhg
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #9
forestb

I was looking at there website on Friday but they have so many types to choose from and I have no idea what type I need. So I gave up. I should take some time and look over what works best for each application or I could contact them.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:30 PM   #10
jbgroby

I did the same thing and made a picture album. IF I have to do it again, i'll opt for a solid sheet of rubber.

http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/jb...?sort=6&page=1

Jake
Lacombe, LA.
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #11
61K10

jb-that's how i did mine. I didn't know that there was a full sheet of rubber between the plates. how are yours holding up?

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #12
jbgroby

good as far as I know....If I get too drafty, I'll replace them with a full sheet of rubber. I guess the after markets folks were/are afraid to explain to the average truck gut he has to tear them apart to really fix them.
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:54 PM   #13
forestb

I contacted Mcmaster and they recommended Neoprene Spring Rubber. Does anyone know if that sounds about right?
Old 12-20-2015, 07:52 PM   #14
forestb

Installed the neoprene spring rubber and it seems to work well but only time will tell. They are much stiffer.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2015, 11:38 PM   #15
BOE

are you looking for the seal between vent and truck body? with patience you can make your own. the seal riveted to the door of the vent is my problem. that is some work. i was able to revive mine with some plumbers grease. i found it at lowes' it comes in a little disc jar. it is 99% silicone any thing else will eventually ruin the gasket. look for the name OATEY on the cup
BOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:12 PM   #16
forestb

I am talking about the seal riveted to the door of the vent. That is what the photo is of. I never even thought of trying to revive my old ones. If it does not work over time, I will try to revive my old ones. I will probably use the same rubber to seal the vent to the cab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOE View Post
are you looking for the seal between vent and truck body? with patience you can make your own. the seal riveted to the door of the vent is my problem. that is some work. i was able to revive mine with some plumbers grease. i found it at lowes' it comes in a little disc jar. it is 99% silicone any thing else will eventually ruin the gasket. look for the name OATEY on the cup
Old 12-21-2015, 04:26 PM   #17
BOE

i should have looked closer at picture. it really looks in decent shape compared to mine. its the pivot points that were my problem, not a very good design in my opinion but maybe i don't know exactly how they should work it seems the seal is forced to twist? any ones advice would be appreciated
BOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:58 PM   #18
blackbart63mule

Sourced GM approved gasket material, and plan to cut my own FULL piece, like original, air vent seals in next couple weeks.
blackbart63mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:13 PM   #19
blackbart63mule

Re: kick panel vent seals

Thank You forestb for letting me know where to post! First off, my opinion, the 60-66 trucks were the very best of the last really well built trucks, evidenced by the fact so many are still with us. Design of the cab and yes, the ventillation system was simply one of the best EVER, never had a vehicle with a sytem that allowed so much controlled air into the cab, only setbacks being having to clean out under the cowl and having to remove cab air vents to clean every year. THE VENT SYSTEM STAYS ON MY TRUCK! O.K. Here we go. The material matched my old air vent seal, picked material specification I thought was one better than original. It took some digging, and researching, Neoprene-EPDM-SBR blend closed cell sponge foam rubber
for gaskets, die cutting, industrial, commercial. Complete Deflection: 4-9 psi, Shore 00 Durometer: 35-60, Density 6-10 PCF, Maximum water absorption:5.0%, Tensile Strength: 50 psi, Elongation 150.0%, Linear Shrinkage: 5.0%,
Passes FM VSS No. 302 and UL 94 HBF flammability ratings (self extinguishing material), suitable for applicatons in the -70F to +225F temperature range.
Meets specifications ASTM D-1056-00, ASTM D-1056-67(1) , SAE J18-02, and GM 6086M(3).
Made in the USA. I believe this material is also used for heater system seals, inner fender to firewall/outer fender. First pic is old/new (cut by hand). The supplier sent 3/16” thick instead so here’s comparison old, new 1/8”, new 3/16”. Last pic is the vent deflecter/cover, HOW MANY TRUCKS HAD THESE?
Attached Images

Last edited by blackbart63mule; 02-16-2019 at 08:50 PM. Reason: wanted to put words above pics
Old 02-16-2019, 08:10 PM   #20
The Rocknrod

https://www.mcmaster.com/rubber-sheets
Old 02-16-2019, 08:47 PM   #21
blackbart63mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Tried that route first, rubber CAN be used, but after seeing how well this original material has done on my trucks, I chose it. Rubber get’s too hard for our severe midwest winters, and just does not have the same grip that the neoprene does. I don’t believe rubber will last as long, be as supple as neoprene in sub zero temps, and it will burn versus self extinguishing. Rubber also constantly leeches black stuff (carbon?) when touching anything, it doesn’t have the flexibility, or non-memory like neoprene. All that being said, you CAN use rubber! My intent is to recreate some of the original pieces made fo these trucks that the aftermarket does not offer in original material, and the choice that is a little better/thicker than the original. dog...
Old 02-16-2019, 09:03 PM   #22
The Rocknrod

What is the source? Of the rubber?

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 02-17-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:27 PM   #23
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbart63mule View Post
Thank You forestb for letting me know where to post! First off, my opinion, the 60-66 trucks were the very best of the last really well built trucks, evidenced by the fact so many are still with us. Design of the cab and yes, the ventillation system was simply one of the best EVER, never had a vehicle with a sytem that allowed so much controlled air into the cab, only setbacks being having to clean out under the cowl and having to remove cab air vents to clean every year. THE VENT SYSTEM STAYS ON MY TRUCK! O.K. Here we go. The material matched my old air vent seal, picked material specification I thought was one better than original. It took some digging, and researching, Neoprene-EPDM-SBR blend closed cell sponge foam rubber
for gaskets, die cutting, industrial, commercial. Complete Deflection: 4-9 psi, Shore 00 Durometer: 35-60, Density 6-10 PCF, Maximum water absorption:5.0%, Tensile Strength: 50 psi, Elongation 150.0%, Linear Shrinkage: 5.0%,
Passes FM VSS No. 302 and UL 94 HBF flammability ratings (self extinguishing material), suitable for applicatons in the -70F to +225F temperature range.
Meets specifications ASTM D-1056-00, ASTM D-1056-67(1) , SAE J18-02, and GM 6086M(3).
Made in the USA. I believe this material is also used for heater system seals, inner fender to firewall/outer fender. First pic is old/new (cut by hand). The supplier sent 3/16” thick instead so here’s comparison old, new 1/8”, new 3/16”. Last pic is the vent deflecter/cover, HOW MANY TRUCKS HAD THESE?
Sorry I didn’t mean to tell you where to post but rather to direct you to a thread that might have some more information for you
Old 02-18-2019, 06:33 PM   #24
blackbart63mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
Sorry I didn’t mean to tell you where to post but rather to direct you to a thread that might have some more information for you

I believe this is the best place, other thread was old, thanks forestb.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:26 PM   #25
Asshat

I was looking for gaskets for my 63 - can’t seem to find them. I think I’ll just run a fat bead of silicone and let it dry before assembling. That should work.