The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2018, 05:52 PM   #1
nitrosport_5

Suburban extended fuel tank sending unit

Does anyone recognize this fuel tank, or is it a custom made part? It is in my 72 gmc k1500 suburban and has needed a new sending unit ever since i bought it. I would like to be able to order the parts and have them here so this thing isnt in pieces in my shop for weeks while i wait for parts. Do you think it just uses a stock suburban sending unit? Thanks
Attached Images

nitrosport_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:28 PM   #2
Bigdav160

Re: Suburban extended fuel tank sending unit

A very popular upgrade installed at many dealers. I forget the name of the manufacture. I think they still might be in business.

The sending unit looks like many universal sending unit except it has a fuel line drilled and soldered into it.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
PortHeadlight

I have the same fuel tank in my Suburban. Original sending unit was not fixable. Lots of research, and unable to find a replacement in right ohm category that also had a fuel line pickup tube. Lots of options for sending unit alone that fit with the required mounting holes and screw placements (see marine suppliers as well as automotive). Bottom line. I bought a universal fit for the sending unit alone and fabricated a separate 1/4 inch fuel pick-up tube.

My tank was still in use and mounted when I did this. Was careful when drilling hole for pickup tube to capture all the filings underneath with a small cloth "net" I made with a coat hanger frame... then also dragged bottom of tank with a magnet on a coat hanger to pickup a few smaller metal filings. You can see in tank with a small flashlight. HA!!

Could get more specific if you wish.
Attached Images

PortHeadlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:47 AM   #4
Bgrdmoose

I sent my non working one to a place called tri-star in upstate New York. He made me a new one.
Bgrdmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
nitrosport_5

Thanks for the replys. Looks like a replacement wont be as straightforward as i was hoping. Ill have to pull it apart and see what i can come up with.

any idea what the capacity is? i just have always kept it full so ive never had to put more than 10-15 gal in it, looks like it holds about 35-40?
nitrosport_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:43 PM   #6
Killer Bee

eta: different tank after all.. my apologies..

here's the thread I started about the tank I have.. 50 Gallon Suburban Fuel Tank

may be some useful info there for the op regarding capacity and fuel sender..

for reference, there's 231 cuin in a gallon.. measure all sides of your tank like I illustrated in my thread to determine total capacity..

for the angled portions, square off a triangle and use this formula; volume of triangular prism

sorry for the intrusion, hope something there helps, good luck!

Last edited by Killer Bee; 09-08-2018 at 02:39 PM. Reason: oops, different tank
Killer Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:12 PM   #7
bntmotorcycles

I have 2 of these tanks. They hold about 45 gal. I had the same problem with sending units. I ordered sending units from a hot rod shop on eBay. It's just a generic unit with the correct ohms. Follow the instructions to adjust. I think I took the top plate off the old unit fitted it to the new unit. It was very easy and didn't take very long. It is super accurate, like to quart or so. I really like mine. But it's crazy expensive when you let it get empty.
bntmotorcycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:41 PM   #8
Bmdully

Resurrecting this thread as I had the same issue with bad sender on my Suburban with this fuel tank. I talked to TriStar who can rebuild them, but the timeline and cost didn't float my boat I ended up buying a cheap universal sending unit, 0-90 ohm, and fitting it to my original sending unit with pick up tube. It went pretty well and cost about $25 bucks. Due to some funny geometry it may not be perfect, but it's getting the job done now. I also lucked out and the PO had already cut a nice access hole in the bed plywood for me. Score!
Bmdully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:49 PM   #9
Bmdully

Sender just before installing. I did have to bolt it together over the hole in the tank to get it all stuffed in there.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2021, 12:48 AM   #10
HeloCrewChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmdully View Post
Sender just before installing. I did have to bolt it together over the hole in the tank to get it all stuffed in there.
Very cool. I didn’t even know where to start on finding a sending unit for that huge tank. Didn’t think of using a generic one. Getting ready to bring that blazer home and blow the front end apart like the Suburban and give it that same treatment. Not looking forward to that grunt work and the mess it makes!
1968 Chevelle
1964 Comet Caliente
1990 W250 Cummins
HeloCrewChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 01:30 AM   #11
Bmdully

Looking forward to seeing the blazer. I’ll bring the old girl by one of these days when I’m headed to my folks.