The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2004, 05:34 PM   #1
UltraDresser

!!!! HELP !!!! Need a carb Guru

All of a sudden since installing some long tube headers on my sb the darn thing only runs when its full choked.... I don't think headers have anything to do with it but somethings changed..... when I start to open it back up when engine is warmed up it just dies..... its an Edelbrock 600 cfm carb ... manual choke .... stock outta da box... # 1405..... ran in the screws and backed them out 2 turns each.... runs nice with choke on.... and when I start to open the plate back up..... the idle starts to pick up a tad then as it opens more it just quits runnin .... any trouble shooting ideas????
UltraDresser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:37 PM   #2
Jeepster376

Is this only an idle problem, or will the engine not run at any speed without the choke? Back the screws out some more until it runs. If they have to come way out, I would guess your float level is too low.

Installing headers can definately change your carb calibration. If you didn't do so, then you should readjust the carb to match the new free flowing headers.