The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 08:41 PM   #6701
custom10nut

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Finally made the time to get the truck aligned.
Been gonna do it so many times but got distracted.
Last year I replaced the tie rods and ball joints (both of which were the factory installed persuasion), and used the "String Method" to get it close.
The guy said it was 1/4 inch off on one side (not too shabby), and a little out of camber on that same side.
The old truck drives like a brand spa kin new truck now
Old 05-01-2018, 09:34 PM   #6702
stevenfromtexas

installed my vent windows.....wow!!! that was a chore
finished up the door panels. worked on my seat. i put a 10'' sub under the driver seat so it threw my seat off a bit. got my seat covers in a few days ago. looking forward to that when i get off thursday......yeeeyaaaaa
Old 05-02-2018, 12:40 AM   #6703
cornerstone

I cleaned up her house. Finally so nice to work in an organized space.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2018, 08:44 PM   #6704
69BUCKET

Also got steering wheel in...waiting on coupler to put in steering box...new u-joints, painted driveshaft...
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2018, 10:17 PM   #6705
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Nothing interesting to some, but I'm enjoying prepping my engine block for paint and gaskets. I never used a tap and die before this project, but I'm a believer now. I've hit all the female threads on the block etc.,. It's nice being able to screw a bolt all the way down with just your fingers.

Other than that I'm still waiting on a welder before I get the frame powder coated, and start the build. There's plenty to keep me busy until then. There will be a fresh block and transmission waiting for it when it arrives home. Man this takes up a lot of time
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 05-02-2018, 11:36 PM   #6706
Metaldoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Nothing interesting to some, but I'm enjoying prepping my engine block for paint and gaskets. I never used a tap and die before this project, but I'm a believer now. I've hit all the female threads on the block etc.,. It's nice being able to screw a bolt all the way down with just your fingers.

Other than that I'm still waiting on a welder before I get the frame powder coated, and start the build. There's plenty to keep me busy until then. There will be a fresh block and transmission waiting for it when it arrives home. Man this takes up a lot of time
I used ear plugs to fill the holes for paint to keep the threads clean.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:40 AM   #6707
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaldoc View Post
I used ear plugs to fill the holes for paint to keep the threads clean.
That's a GREAT idea, thanks. I may brush POR15 on, but if I spray I'll use them. Heck, may use them regardless.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 05-03-2018, 07:13 AM   #6708
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Got some paint on the ramp truck tilt column.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:48 PM   #6709
ohboy321

I ran my front brake line mounting hardware under a wire wheel and cleaned them up. They look like they are original, and I am glad to have them. Could they be stainless?
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2018, 07:58 PM   #6710
1968 baby blue C10

Finally got my base model side markers. I know it wasn’t original but I went ahead and wired them up, can’t be too visible these days. Just used Scotchloks so no damage done. Put new dash vents in. And replaced the air control lever that broke.
Attached Images

"Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. And the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have." -Thomas Hildern
Old 05-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #6711
stevenfromtexas

seat bottom last night.....
and door panels a few days ago

fixing to work on the seat back. waiting on my seat belts to bolt everything in
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2018, 11:22 AM   #6712
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968 baby blue C10 View Post
Finally got my base model side markers. I know it wasn’t original but I went ahead and wired them up, can’t be too visible these days. Just used Scotchloks so no damage done. Put new dash vents in. And replaced the air control lever that broke.
friends don't let friends use scotchloks
Old 05-05-2018, 02:16 PM   #6713
VWNate1

Wink Bodge Repairs

My Son who's also a Journeyman Mechanic likes to say 'where you find a scotchlock connector you'll find a problem ' .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
Old 05-05-2018, 04:58 PM   #6714
rjs53

Finished welding in the rocker and cab corner. Next is the new cab mounts, control arm bushings and core support bushings
Old 05-05-2018, 05:35 PM   #6715
1968 baby blue C10

Re: Bodge Repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
friends don't let friends use scotchloks
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
My Son who's also a Journeyman Mechanic likes to say 'where you find a scotchlock connector you'll find a problem ' .
What, why? We’ve never had any issues with them. I dialecetric greased the contacts and sealed the ends with liquid electrical tape. Mine are inside the rubber boot on the tail light on the rear so they’re not going to get banged around. What would be your recommended solution without pulling the wiring harness out?
"Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. And the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have." -Thomas Hildern

Last edited by 1968 baby blue C10; 05-05-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:06 PM   #6716
1968 baby blue C10

Finally got the rubber floor mat from LMC, it’s pretty nice, hated having to cut the hole for the shifter, a little nerve racking cutting a brand new mat. Replaced the hood shock insulation, made a world of difference shutting the hood and hitting bumps. Replaced the dash vents. Replaced the air control lever that broke. Got rid of the plastic rear view mirror and put an old school looking chrome one on.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2018, 07:14 PM   #6717
66clow

Repaired a few dents in the roof. Absolutely love this tool! Must have if your doing body work.
Pushed the turn downs back a bit. Pointed them straight out as well. Sooo much better back from the cab. Gets rids of exhuast fumes and the drone of the mufflers. Also not kicking up dirt when driving down a dirt road.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2018, 07:19 PM   #6718
1968 baby blue C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66clow View Post
Repaired a few dents in the roof. Absolutely love this tool! Must have if your doing body work.
Those are awesome. Dad did bodywork for 20+ years and he always talked about how useful those were. He still uses his quite a bit.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:47 PM   #6719
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968 baby blue C10 View Post
What, why? We’ve never had any issues with them. I dialecetric greased the contacts and sealed the ends with liquid electrical tape. Mine are inside the rubber boot on the tail light on the rear so they’re not going to get banged around. What would be your recommended solution without pulling the wiring harness out?
how many years of experience do you have with automotive electrical?

greasing, taping, sealing, whatever defeats the intended purpose of a scotchlok as a quick connector, might as well install a proper connector and enjoy a good connection..

I'm tired so I'll let the interwebs answer the why questions..

The Problem with Wire-Tap Connectors

as far as what you should do, stop making midspan harness intrusions and run your accessories to a reliable source like the fuse box or a junction box..

besides the conductor wire damage to original circuit and the insulation damage, the circuit is now possibly overloaded with the new circuit you introduced..

new circuits should have their own circuit breaker or fuse protection properly sized for the component rating and intended load..

let us know a specific wire run and we can assist you..

apologies for drab answer, but I'm pooped at the moment..

good luck!
Old 05-05-2018, 10:14 PM   #6720
1968 baby blue C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
how many years of experience do you have with automotive electrical?

greasing, taping, sealing, whatever defeats the intended purpose of a scotchlok as a quick connector, might as well install a proper connector and enjoy a good connection..

I'm tired so I'll let the interwebs answer the why questions..

The Problem with Wire-Tap Connectors

as far as what you should do, stop making midspan harness intrusions and run your accessories to a reliable source like the fuse box or a junction box..

besides the conductor wire damage to original circuit and the insulation damage, the circuit is now possibly overloaded with the new circuit you introduced..

new circuits should have their own circuit breaker or fuse protection properly sized for the component rating and intended load..

let us know a specific wire run and we can assist you..

apologies for drab answer, but I'm pooped at the moment..

good luck!
I read the article, I had no idea, we’ve just always used them. It’s one of those things that seems to work all those years, and then someone mentions it’s wrong.

The place Dad worked produced flatbeds on the side and installed them. He said the guys who wired them did every single light on them was with scotchloks. Which was a lot of lights. Why? I don’t know, but he said they always worked and never had any complaints.

If the circuit was overloaded wouldn’t it blow the fuse that it’s wired to?
And why not just solder the connection and then upgrade the fuse if so?
Running a wire from the rear of a long bed to the fuse box for marker lights would be a pain.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:16 AM   #6721
VWNate1

Post Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Scotchlocks are a prime place for corrosion to begin .

Even here in the Southern California Desert they cause all manner of dim and flickering lights .

When I wanted a trailer plug for my '69 C10 I got a spare sub harness from the junkyard and worked it into the stock harness using the factory plugs .

I have no idea how GM made their accessory trailer sub harness' but this is how most other manufacturers did it way back when .

Saying 'that's too much work' means you're not the right one for the job .

If your setup works, don't sweat it, just remember to look there first if ever any problems .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
Old 05-06-2018, 09:24 AM   #6722
1968 baby blue C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
Scotchlocks are a prime place for corrosion to begin .

Even here in the Southern California Desert they cause all manner of dim and flickering lights .

When I wanted a trailer plug for my '69 C10 I got a spare sub harness from the junkyard and worked it into the stock harness using the factory plugs .

I have no idea how GM made their accessory trailer sub harness' but this is how most other manufacturers did it way back when .

Saying 'that's too much work' means you're not the right one for the job .

If your setup works, don't sweat it, just remember to look there first if ever any problems .
I sealed them up really good and I didn’t even really know I should. I really just always over do everything. I didn’t say “That’s too much work.” I just said it would be a pain.
And that’s what I’ll do, if it’s not broke don’t fix it. But now I know to be wary of them in the future.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:22 AM   #6723
HO455
Post Whore

And here I thought they were just my own pet peeve. Here in northwest Oregon I've never found one that the cheap piece of metal wasn't rusting away inside.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
Old 05-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #6724
Mikes68C10

I brought her home.

Well, almost. 1st to the local garage for some cleaning, new fluids and going over. 15 years collecting dust in a garage to overcome. Soon it'll be sitting in my garage, and being polished, cleaned and pampered.

Hopefully all 5 of the pictures are attached as planned.
Mike
Attached Images

1968 C10 LWB Fleet-Wood, 2-WD, 327, 4-Bbl, Auto, 12-Bolt, Bone Stock. >POOF!< Sold 9/8/2018. New owner is local to Waynesboro PA and will take excellent care of her. He also owns a 69 Z28 SS Option car.
1998 Camaro SS, LS1, A4, 3.42. Free Tune - Stock 13.08 @ 106.55 >Lightening Strikes Again!< Sold 9/9/2018 she too will be well cared for as 1 of 45 produced in blue, with Auto and no T-roof.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #6725
1968 baby blue C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes68C10 View Post
I brought her home.

Well, almost. 1st to the local garage for some cleaning, new fluids and going over. 15 years collecting dust in a garage to overcome. Soon it'll be sitting in my garage, and being polished, cleaned and pampered.

Hopefully all 5 of the pictures are attached as planned.
Mike
Dude you scored. That is a sweet truck. I love the dark green and silver combo, I think it looks perfect together. How many miles are on it? What’s your plans for it?
Closed Thread