The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #26
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: The Official John Lee Jr Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan-m View Post
This is a good idea. I've seen a few re-purposed beds like that, and they look really good.
I have fella comeing for the cab to put on his 64 Fleet and two inquiries on the rest of the bed. Update, scrap that, bed is sold now too, just got an email. So looks like right now Ol John Lee is fixin up 4 other trucks and a 5th if the windshield and turnsignal buyer comes thru. A sixth if the fella wants the motor. Makein me feel a bit better bout the whole mess

That leaves me the suspension and brakes to pull for John Lee Jr and a frame to take apart. I believe most of the cross members are still fine as frog hairs and stuff like the body mounts, shock mounts, etc. Its gonna be a hell fest grindin out all them rivits though. Still don't know what I'll do with the 64 rear...those are odd balls with 17 spline axles and I spect Ol John Lees axle bearings have worn out the shafts. I think someone wants the 283 but not sure yet.

Last edited by Sharps40; 03-24-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #27
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I think even the radiator support can be straightened up and reused.

The smashed grill with busted headlight is gonna hang on the wall of the house, or at least the workshop if GoodWife Sharps hollers bout it.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #28
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I see the new v8 radiator is also used for the 292 I6. I pulled it today along with the air dams case I decide the old small rad in Jr needs replaced. It'd mean new longer top hose but looks like a no brainer to add the big radiator with trans cooler to Jr.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #29
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Right now though, I'm a firm believer and sold on PB blaster. Only snapped off three bolts stripping the front, cab, bed.

A 30 minute soak and bolts come right out mostly w/o any squeeking.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #30
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Naturally, it quit raining last night just at dark....oh well, Got plenty of work done on Ol John Lee for the cab buyer and the bed sold as well, so disassembled it. Maybe get to start moving tires and such over to John Lee Jr tonight and as soon as the final papers come in, title and plates!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #31
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Well, initial work completed. Enough to take John Lee Jr out for a 20 minute ride around the neighborhood on round wheels. Wow is the word. Very much different, in a good way, than drivin Ol John Lee.

Steering is light as a feather and very light manuvering parking lots. Enough that I got out a second time and checked to see if it had a power steering pump. Up to 30 mph or so it does not track ruts and grooves. I need a back road run after tags and insurance to really vet the suspension out. Breaks are firm and fast but with a pull right so the fronts need adjusted. Fan belt is a bit winey, sounds like a turbo spooling up and down so I wont fix that for now...its kinda cool. Shift points are much higher than the 283, this 230 is quite strong and winds out smoothly. We did several hill pulls from under 5 mph to 35 mph at the top of steep hills useing second gear only....down the steeps engine brakeing in second and there were no thumps or knocks/rattles in the engine. The Rochester Mod B carb did not puke any fuel this trip. The brake drums are original, at least on the front as they are still rivited to the hubs so I grabbed the new drums off Ol John Lee for a transfer on brake inspection and adjustment this weekend. Shifts are smooth and the clutch engages at the floor in the first third of the stroke. Radiator cap is 7 lbs so we'll change that to 13 lbs when adding the overflow this weekend. Start up cold is lightning fast and the throttle actually throttles....thats a nice switch. Heater works but I suspect like Ol John Lee it needs replaced or at least flushed as its not real warm air...but enough to clear the fog on a damp day. Drivers window jumped the rubber gripper thingie at the bottom so gotta leave it up for now and get in there with a new rubber strip to clamp it tight. Got a couple light issues, fixed one with a kiss of sand paper to estabilish a new ground and I have three out of 4 turn signals. So, overall, not bad after an 18 year sit. Just waiting on the mandatory NC No Flood Vehicle declaration from the prior owners and I can tag it...it was damn tempting to hit the main road and open it up, even w/o tags on it. But, I behaved myself. Tags and registration and insurance first. Then we'll take it out and row it all over the Sandhills.

Installed Ol John Lees wheels and tires for now. Also transfered over his chrome gas cap, black mirror and the drivers side sun visor.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sharps40; 06-28-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #32
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Oh yeah, the seat is soft and the spring don't poke me in the butt. Nice!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #33
Raceaprilia

Congrats! This was far the best original unmolested truck locally for sale I looked at within six months now. In my case "I will buy it now" would be much better choice for me instead "Let me sleep it over" which I did... Enjoy it!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #34
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Congrats on the new truck, John Lee Jr., & the settlement & parting out of John Lee Sr.

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
Old 03-26-2013, 05:17 AM   #35
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceaprilia View Post
Congrats! This was far the best original unmolested truck locally for sale I looked at within six months now. In my case "I will buy it now" would be much better choice for me instead "Let me sleep it over" which I did... Enjoy it!
I craigslisted/oodled/thriftynickled every major city within 250 miles of Sanford for several weeks. Mostly I saw, talked over or looked at rust buckets or very poorly execuited (by poor I mean no plan or goal, not necessarilly poor work) trucks in the $3500 to $4000 range (that seems to be the asking price of any C10 that has had some combination of a single can of primer, a new set of brakes, a worn out 8 year old home rebuilt motor in "like new" condition and torn seat repaired with a blanket)

So, when I saw pics of John Lee Jr I immediatly tried to put a downpayment via credit card over the phone. But they wanted me to look it over first so I got my old legs movein that direction ASAP and it all worked out.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #36
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Anybody use this on an I6? Any Good? Price is nice. Does it also need the external regulator alternator replaced by an internal regulator alternator to prevent voltage spikes?

http://www.aipelectronics.com/index....r-engines.html
Old 03-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #37
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Big Easter weekend planned for John Lee Jr. Title if the flood paperwork arrives in time and a test ride then. Whether or not here's the initial list. We'll see how much I get done.

- Reattach DS window to riser Done
- Lube vent window pivots Done
- Install Brake Drums Done
- Adjust Brakes Done
- Install Radiator Cap Done
- Install Radiator overflow tank Done
- Install new rubber fuel lines Not needed
- Tweek seating of inside lip of windshield gasket at Driver side piller Done
- Install passenger side visor Done
- Install interior rear view mirror and remove modern glass mounted replacment Done
- Fix Passenger side front TS and park lamp
- Fix license plate lamp
- Fix passenger side rear running lamp, dim bulb
- Wash truck
- Clean firewall and inner fenders
- Lube supsension Done
- Lube u-joints
- Oil change with zddp
- Run engine 30 minutes at 2K RPM for cam break in (don't know how this engine was started but with only 200 miles, can't hurt)
- Hard pull engine in 2nd 15 times if tagged/titled in time (seat rings and pistons/cylinder walls)
- Commence 500 miles to another oil/filter change easy run in
- Adjust fan belt
- Check timeing and carb settings hot
- Check coolant sensor and lights, repair as needed

If I get all that done including tags, betcha I get 150 miles between Friday and Monday!

Last edited by Sharps40; 04-01-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #38
Sharps40
Account Suspended

A good weekend spent working on trucks. Sat the buyer came over and three of us managed to get the cab with doors off Ol John Lee. Even stripped and with an electric winch it all we had to pull the cab off the rear of the frame and down onto the trailer without doing any damage to sheetmetal or fingers.

Today, I cleared a bunch of my initial punchlist for John Lee Jr. Enough to feel confident the suspension and breaks are now ready for some break in driving.

The DS window had a broken roller on the riser, a new roller and a bit of greese and its working like new. I also lubed the vent window rivits and shafts so I could open the window, it also eliminated the squeeking. I put new rear break drums on and will prolly go back and transfer Ol John Lees shoes and new rear cylinders. I noted the original wheel cylinders on JR and the pistons are starting to break down. So, they need to go soon. I also adjusted the front and rear breaks. The fronts had new shoes and though the drums are original, they were recently turned and new cylinders installed with new front rubber hoses.

Under the hood, I installed Ol John Lees 16 lb radiator cap in place of the incorrect 7 pounder. I also transfered the radiator overflow tank and got it hooked up. A quick warm up and ride showed the brakes working fine w/no pull to the right and the radiator pukeing and drawing from the over flow tank. So, no more popping caps to check water levels. This radiator has some corrosion on the outside, so I spect I'll be transferring Ol John Lees 3 core V8 radiator over to replace this much smaller 2 core original.

There was no need to install new fuel lines as inspection of the papers with the truck shows a new gas tank, new sender, new rubber hoses and new fuel pump was needed for start up after the 18 year sit.

I did tweek the windshield gasket so it now lays flat like it should on the inside. While working in the cab I put in both windshield visors and a repo 1965 rear view mirror to replace the aftermarked/modern glass mounted rear view. Also vacuumed all the mouse turds from under the seat and gas tank.

Underneath I transfered Ol John Lees spanky new exhaust hangers. We had a broken one on Jr. Inspection indicates I need to get a good glass pack and a head pipe made. I also inspected the suspension. Its original, all the ball joints are rivited on top. The lowers look original too. The PS joints are pretty good. The DS lower joint is showing a bit of wear but no where near what Ol John Lee had before his suspension rebuild. So, I'll grab some undamaged suspension components off Ol John Lee and slowely work on installing them when I transfer Ol John Lees new Moog Springs to Jr. I also installed Ol John Lees new shocks, Jrs. were dead. I had to retorque the front upper shock mounts to the frame, they were very loose....good thing I didn't drive it home, prolly woulda egged out the frame holes.

Finally, in the looks department, I adjusted the fit of the hood. The rear was up and forward off the cowl gasket. That was a learning experience. A tiny bit of movement in the hinge pivot makes over 1/4" of movement in the up/down and fwd/back position of the hood. But the back end is down on the cowl gasket and the gap is even all the way across. The hood even latches still! So, I'll call it a success.

Last edited by Sharps40; 06-28-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #39
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Well, its official....I couldn't stand it any more. A full set of Crager Chrome Smoothies with Baby Moons are on the way. I went with near stock size, 15x7 in the 6 on 5.5 with 4 1/8" back spaceing. I think they are do in here in Mid April.

Guess I'll have to finish up the rear brakes and the Dual Master conversion and start vettin out the turn signal/corroded sockets pretty soon.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #40
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Well, it looks like the Cragars are comeing sooner than expected. I didn't figure on shipment prior to 8 April but just got the tracker from Jegs, FEDEX is tracking for delivery tomorrow. Guess I'll have to get these wheels to the shop this week and have a whole new look for John Lee Jr.

Last edited by Sharps40; 04-02-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #41
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps40 View Post
Well, it looks like the Cragers are comeing sooner than expected. I didn't figure on shipment prior to 8 April but just got the tracker from Jegs, FEDEX is tracking for delivery tomorrow. Guess I'll have to get these wheels to the shop this week and have a whole new look for John Lee Jr.
I can only imagine how you must be feeling.

I am off to South Africa to tour on motorbikes with my brother for a month tomorrow morning, and have to say, despite that, I cannot wait to get back to actively look for and find a truck as neat as yours to buy and bring over here.

You must feel like a kid on Christmas eve
Old 04-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #42
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I'm havin a ball. I think Ol John Lee is fixin up at least 10 trucks now. Motor goes out this week to a fella just opened a business makeing up rat rods and such, so, it'll find a good home and get rebuilt. Meantime, hopein to get outta work early one day this week to title up John Lee Jr and go for the first good ride.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #43
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Sounds like you got a great truck. The color is the same as my 65 was when I got it from my Grandpa nearly 30 years ago...

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
Old 04-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #44
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Thanks. Paint is from 1994 but it spend most of the last 18 years sittin still. Gramps bought it in 94. Had the body and paint done. Rebuilt the motor and brakes. Drove it about 200 miles and lost the key.

Last edited by Sharps40; 06-28-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #45
Sharps40
Account Suspended

My first chrome wheels ever. Chrome Smoothies with Baby Moons for the vintage look. 15x7 for the stock size 225/70R15 and just a bit wider than the stock 6.5 or 6.7" wheels so if I want a bit taller tire later, they won't be so darn fat lookin!
Attached Images

Last edited by Sharps40; 06-28-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #46
Indian113

I like the looks of smoothie's and moon's!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #47
Ta2Don

Very Nice!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Old 04-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #48
Reyals Bemus

Chrome smoothies and baby moons! Classic! I just put a set on my '64!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:22 AM   #49
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Yep and the 15x7 size is a good middle of the road width for the current 225/70R15s and later a set of taller tires can go on the wheels w/o having the pregnant bulging squashed all the way around sidewall look.

I do gotta pester these ol boys today cause all I'm waiting for is one NC mandatory form so I can go title the truck and then go out and see how he rolls.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #50
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I ran those exact same wheels on my junk too.

Closed Thread